2-way radios

MeTarzan

Earning My Ears
Do they rent 2-way radios in the parks or at the hotels?(we are staying at old key west)

Or would it be better to purchase them before we get to WDW? Does anyone have any suggstions on what brand to buy?

Hi MeTarzan,

Welcome to the DIS. I think it would be best
to get them before you go. I have not heard
of 2 way radio's for rent.

I not sure about the brand to get, but I do
know to get the ones with the 14 channel
and the 38 sub channels. Alot of people at
the parks have these so the sub channels
are needed to try and get privacy.

We have cobra and like them but there are
alot of other good brands. I did see a good
deal at Sam's Club the other day. You got
2 radios w/subchannels, rechargable
batteries and charger, and some other
stuff for about $ 68.00. Have a great
time.

We use Motorola 250 FSR radios in the parks and they work great.

When choosing FRS radios be sure to get the privacy codes also known as coded squelch. With them finding a combination of channel and code that is fairly quiet is possible.

Using some radio etiquette helps everyone. When calling someone to start an exchange say who you are calling and who you are.

“You off the ride yet?” vs.
“Bob, Sally here, are you off Space Mountain yet?”
In the first Bob doesn’t know he is being called or who called. In the second Bob knows the call is for him and to reply to Sally. Anyone else on the same channel / code knows it isn’t their family.

Turning them off in shows and quite rides keeps you from getting a disturbing call on the channel / code you are using.

Turning them OFF in shows and ALL rides (whether quiet or not) is common courtesy. This includes outdoor shows and preshows.

Thank you everyone for your tips and advice.

We purchased a pair of radios last night. We found them at BJ's Wholesale Club. They are Panasonic with 14 channels and 28 sub-channels. They had a few different brands all averaged between $25 & $30 each. We chose the Panasonic because they are weatherproof and they were only $20 each after a $30 rebate.

Thanks Again.

I was informed by a fellow Dis user that you can rent radios at CBR on Disney property. I don't know if they are available at other resorts too. It would be great if they are cause we're staying at OKW also!
I was told CBR rents radios from a company called in touch family and the good part is that they have a 250 mile radius. Thats much higher than the average 2-3 mile radius.

http://www.intouchfamily.com

Good luck!

off site-1978
DXL- 1997
CBR & Wonder cruise- 1999
OKW- Nov. 2001
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter