• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2 year old likes to run from us and hates stroller...Help!!!

Originally posted by dthomas
My Son just turned two. He will not sit in a stroller at all. Has anyone had any luck using backpack carriers? I have been trying to research them - does anyone have any special brand they recommend?

I've got a kelty carrier. It's called an elite. We LOVE it!!! Here's the web site http://www.kelty.com/index.cfm?section=Kids Click on carriers and you'll see all of them. Any sporting goods store should carry these or should be able to order them for you. They're spendy but very good quality.

The specs say.....
• Kelty carriers are designed to transport one child up to 4-5 years of age weighing no more than 45 lbs.
• The total load limit including the child AND cargo is 60 lbs.

Hope this helps!!

This was a great post. My DD (16) and I were at Toys r Us today and she wanted to buy the harness for my very active DS (2 1/2) and i told her NO people would think we were mean. Now after reading this post i think we will buy it for our upcoming trip. Everyone is right who cares what anyone thinks. I would rather my son be safe than sorry. Thanks Michelle

I saw MANY children of various ages with "leashes" at Disneyland. I think most people see it and understand fully why parents are making that choice. It is just too easy to lose a child in a heartbeat there. It's simply too crowded. I wouldn't give a second thought to putting a leash on a six-year old, if there was any question in my mind about whether he would follow my instructions, stay with me, and know how to get help if something unexpected happened. If the child is not mature enough to do these things, it doesn't matter what his age is.

I thought I'd just add one other thing that I may have posted elsewhere. I made a laminated luggage tag for our son. He's seven, but he has autism, and might not "perform" under pressure. In fact, I wasn't sure I could rely on him to remember our room number or any of the details of our trip. (I bought a leash for him, but didn't use it. We carried him a lot, and he will still accept a stroller, because he's very small.) So, I typed up something that had his name on it, our names, our home phone number, our cell phone numbers, my husband's pager number, and the number of the family radio channel that we would be monitoring. I also put the flight dates/numbers/airline, and the dates/hotel/floor where we were staying. I also printed the instructions for using our family radio, and had him carry the radio in a pocket (some of the time, anyway!) Every time we left our hotel room, he wore this tag attached to one of his belt loops. It was quite large and dangled out so someone could see it if need be, but you couldn't read any of it, without getting very close to it. It could be modified for a child to wear on a lanyard, but I was afraid our son would fool with it and remove it, so I just kept it attached to one of his belt loops.

It gave me some peace of mind that, in the event he got lost after everything we did to prevent it, someone would help him to locate us pretty quickly. Maybe something like that would put your mind at ease, too?

We took my 18 month old GN in June, and we got her the fanny pack/leash from One Step Ahead. It only fastens around her waist, and has a little pocket that she could keep some fruit snacks in. She enjoyed wearing it, and it wasn't in her way when she was in the stroller. We considered the wrist or chest harness, but thought this would be more comfortable. She didn't mind it at all and it helped us keep her close.

Barbara
great-aunt to wild-child Lauren:p

<b>Ok, I have read all the posts. And now I have a question? At what age is too old
for the harness?</b>

....She'll be too old once she proves to you that she won't wander off during the first 15 seconds your eyes are turned somewhere else.

As for all of the people who give you mean looks...Aren't these the same people who say "Why wasn't the mother watching him better?" Whenever they hear about a lost child????

I'm not the only one!

We are taking a very active 2 1/2 year old to WDW in Sept. My DH has been very concerned, especially after a recent trip to the beach when DS refused to listen, and kept running for the water (luckily, he couldn't run very quickly on the sand). Compounding our problem, I will be 5 months pregnant, and I'm afraid the heat will really wear me down.

I have a friend who is a special ed teacher, and thinks "leashes" are just horrible. But, after reading this post, I would rather be thought horrible than lose my kid. Toys R Us, here I come!

If people don't like leashes....what do they think of seat belts? They aren't much different, really. Both confine a portion of the body in exchange for offering an increased measure of safety.

Using a leash is actually a kind thing to for a child who has lost interest in his stroller and whose *need* for movement out-paces his maturity about safety issues.

I used a harness on my 20mo at the big kids' swim meet the other day. DD wants to walk around, and she doesn't want to hold my hand. The swim meets are very crowded, and of course there is a dangerous pool right there.

Whenever anyone would give us a funny look, I'd laugh and say, "She wants her freedom, and this gives her just enough!" Then they would smile and that would be the end of it.

That said, I used the harness on my son when he was about that age, and a child came up and said, "Look at the little doggy!" I was about to correct the child ("this is a precious baby, not a doggy!") when DS ruined the whole thing by barking!

I too have very active, inquisitive boys and was worried about losing them when we go to Disney in November. I found a product called the Fisher Price Child Locator on Amazon.com and purchased two. The parent has a unit, and there is a unit that clips to the child. When the child strays out of range, and alarm goes off on the child unit, starting low and getting increasingly louder so you can find them. You can also press a button to activate the alarm anytime you just want to locate your child, even if they are within range but you just can't see them. Obviously, this won't take the place of parental supervision, but I think it will give me some peace of mind to know that I have a back-up system in place. They retail for around $70, but Amazon.com had them for $20! Good Luck!

Just got my fanny pack leash from one step ahead. Its great, but for anyone with a larger child, make sure you save the packaging. It fits my DD fine, but my DS would not have been able to wear it at the same age because he was chubby at 2 1/2 and the strap doesn't seem that big to me. Can't wait to try it.

Have you ever considered a backpack child carrier? Its something my daughters loved to ride in, but it can be quite heavy for the adult, after a while. Have you tried giving your 2 year old snacks while he sits in the stroller? Eating and drinking is a great diversion at this age. Rewards for sitting aren't advisable at this age as kids are developmentally quite active at this chronological age (remember Erickson's psychosocial stages?). Hummmm, this might be more of a challenge than you would want it to be. I have seen people use leashes on children. I guess if you felt better using it, go ahead. I've also seen some parents dragging their children on them (maybe I should say pulling them, but it struck me as dragging). I've also seen some people almost trip over the fully stretched leash (others walking without awareness between parent and child). But, you might be more effective if you tempered your reaction to your 2 year old who runs away by using an emotionally neutral tone of voice, retrieving him, and holding him for a few minutes (about 2), then telling him to please stay by you. Several repetitions of this intervention would help shape and curb this behavior, over time. You need to be diligent in your interventions with children and not expect immediate change in behavior. Afterall, how loong has your child been running from you? It will probably take a like amount of time to eventually extinguish the behavior all together.

:cool:

... the new colors are coming out for next year, and they are closing out the old ones. You can try entering coupon code 34BSV to get $10 off (not sure it's good for closeouts, but worth a try!) I'm not sure how long the stock will last.

Personally, I've always thought that parents were being more responsible by using a leash to keep track of a child that likes to run away. I spent several years working in a mall, and can't count the number of lost children we had. Most every day we would have children wander away from mom & dad as soon as their attention was on something else. Especially if you have more than one child to watch, this can help you keep both your sanity and child with you!
We have a shoulder/chest harness for my 2 1/2 ds, and he does great with it. We make him hold hands even when it's on, but it gives me that added protection. Believe it or not, the only person to give me a hard time about the leash was my mother! She claims they are cruel and when she tried to use one on my older brother, he barked like a dog and embarrassed her, so she wouldn't use them anymore. I reminded her that as children, my brother and I were lost so much that we knew where to go to have her paged (in several different stores) - she hasn't complained about it since.

Just received the fanny pack with leash in the mail yesterday. I am happy to report that 2 1/2 year old DS loves it! I put it on him and he wanted to go outside and take a walk.

I'm going to write his personal information on the back of the fanny pack with a Sharpie, and also on a slip of paper inside, just in case.

Thank you for this suggestion!

I haven't seen this posted yet, so I will offer this up. We have taken our young children with us starting when our middle dd was 2 you (her birthday actually) and have yet to loose a child. The first time I did this my dh thought I was crazy, but after the first day at WDW he realized that I had a great idea. We attach bells to our kids feet. Different bells for each kid. We can keep up with them when they run out of sight and we know how far away they are based on their sound. We also know what bell to listen for for each child.

Our son (2.5 last trip) ran off in a shop at Epcot and we were able to easily find him thanks to his bells. Many CM's have told us that we have a great idea. The bells aren't really annoying either because there is so much "noise" at WDW that it just sort of blends in with the crowd, yet you are aware of it at the same time (if that makes sense). We have yet to really loose a child at WDW and we credit this to bells on their shoes.

One thing that we did learn though was to make sure to bring extra bells and laces. Sometimes the bells will cut through the laces on the shoes (we had that happen) and we couldn't find shoes laces anywhere at Epcot nor MK! We though certainly we could find some decorative laces somewhere, but nada!

As a side note, our ds isn't a big fan of the stroller. We rented one each day (double) and the kids would take turns. After one full day of doing lots of walking, our ds was more than happy to ride days 2-5! He would hop out when we would stop somewhere (ride, show, food, shopping, kid stations) but as soon as we would start walking again he would hop in the stroller. If he didn't want to ride we would offer his seat to one of his sisters which would always make him want to ride;)

Hope what I've written can help you in some way!

:earsgirl:

DD used her fanny pack leash today and she loves it. She put her sunglasses in the little pocket and didnt want to take it off, so we just undid the leash part and let her wear it. Very happy with it.

Originally posted by crazykat
I found a product called the Fisher Price Child Locator on Amazon.com and purchased two. The parent has a unit, and there is a unit that clips to the child. When the child strays out of range, and alarm goes off on the child unit, starting low and getting increasingly louder so you can find them. You can also press a button to activate the alarm anytime you just want to locate your child, even if they are within range but you just can't see them. Obviously, this won't take the place of parental supervision, but I think it will give me some peace of mind to know that I have a back-up system in place. They retail for around $70, but Amazon.com had them for $20! Good Luck!

I'm soooo glad I found this post again. I just placed an order on Amazon for the Fisher Price Child Locator. I can't wait till it gets here!!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

If you have more than one child, dress them alike. Somehow this helps me keep my eye on the kids better. Also, CMs know they belong together. If the adults also wore the same shirt, it might be even better. We never needed the leash because our kids were all happy in the stroller (exhausted, perhaps?) and did not wander too much, but the matching shirts really help me. We order ours from Land's End as they tend to offer the same stripe in many different sizes. When the youngest was an infant, we could even get rompers to match the big kids' t-shirts. An added bonus is very cute pictures and lots of positive feedback from passers-by and CMs.

We used a fanny pack type leash & a wrist to wrist leash when my daughter was about 2.5 as well. We were walking back to the Beach Club from Epcot (using the wrist to wrist leash)and she managed to wriggle her way out of her end while I was talking to my husband. She spun around to the crowd behind us, put her arms up in the air, & yelled TAA-DAA!!!! Everyone got a big laugh out of it! :D I thought it was pretty funny myself.

She could get out of the wrist to wrist leash in a flash though so I just wanted to let you know that the fanny pack version is muuuuuch better and more comfortable too. We used that one the majority of the trip & never had any problems. =)

Bridget
Mom to Moira (8/27/97)
Egghead #2 Due (7/11/02)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter