2 year old that refuses masks at resort

stitchfan18

DIS Veteran
I’m not looking for a debate, but long story short we can’t cancel our January trip since we have a DVC rental, and while I’m hopeful our 2 year old will come around to the idea of a mask in the next 4 months, we need to have an idea about our back up plan. We are traveling with grandparents, so we’ll have multiple adults who can take turns hanging in the room with the 2 year old while the older kids go to the park. This is our plan right now, but it dawned on me earlier, can we even go into the resort with the 2 year old if he is still ripping his mask off? Right now we cover him up in the stroller if he goes out. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar boat & what to expect at the resort?

edited to add, we’re staying at the BWV if that makes a difference with the interior hallways.

edited again to add that a month later with advice from this thread, something clicked and now our 2 year old is wearing a mask like a champ! I'd definitely read through some of the ideas that were shared by others if you are struggling like we were.

Last edited:
Disney’s current policy (https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/experience-updates/) requires all guests aged 2 and above to wear masks except while swimming or dining.

The policy explicitly states that social distancing is not a substitute for wearing a mask.

Those rules apply to both parks and resorts,

Your child will be expected to be wearing a mask at all times, save the dining and swimming exceptions.
Safe travels!

Since you have extra adults around to hang with the 2 year old can you get the little to wear the mask long enough to make it to the pool area? At least they could run mask-free there.

Unfortunately everyone two and up is required to wear a mask at resorts, parks and Disney Springs. There are cast members letting you know that both The nose and mouth must be covered.

just keep practicing.

Thanks for the responses, I haven’t read many reports about how things are handled at the resorts. Sorry in advance to anyone at the BWV in January who has to experience DS Dramatically screaming while We restrain his arms in order to keep him masked while heading to our room :scared:

Thanks for the responses, I haven’t read many reports about how things are handled at the resorts. Sorry in advance to anyone at the BWV in January who has to experience DS Dramatically screaming while We restrain his arms in order to keep him masked while heading to our room :scared:
Maybe by January the ridiculous ritual of tying fabric over a 2 year old baby's face will be a thing of the past and you can you enjoy your baby and your trip.

My advice in general for young children is to have them help in picking out what type of masks.Find ones that have his favorite characters, colors, etc. Have him and the rest of the family wear masks as much as possible to get used to it. Make wearing masks a normal part of your day.

My advice in general for young children is to have them help in picking out what type of masks.Find ones that have his favorite characters, colors, etc. Have him and the rest of the family wear masks as much as possible to get used to it. Make wearing masks a normal part of your day.

I think this is spot on - concentrate on adjusting to the mask bit by bit. January is a LONG way from now, you could probably make a fair bit of progress between now and then.
We are supposed to travel soon w/ some folks who have a little one. Just found out they haven't taken the kid anywhere in 5, almost 6 months. Anywhere. Not into a store, no where a mask is required. Nor have they practiced with a mask and the child at home. So not only is this poor kid unaccustomed to a mask, but he's also unaccustomed to seeing anyone in a mask. And they plan on flying to the destination, and the destination requires masks for everyone. I predict a disaster, and I'm glad we aren't flying with them or staying with them!

To add to this (just in case you hadn't tried it) - a friend with a young kiddo got hers to wear masks by calling it a "superhero" mask. They'd wear it around the house and she'd heap on the positive reinforcement and make it part of play. Eventually it was no big deal and now when they have to go out she just tells him it's Superhero time and he gets his mask off the rack LOL.

To add to this (just in case you hadn't tried it) - a friend with a young kiddo got hers to wear masks by calling it a "superhero" mask. They'd wear it around the house and she'd heap on the positive reinforcement and make it part of play. Eventually it was no big deal and now when they have to go out she just tells him it's Superhero time and he gets his mask off the rack LOL.
I am going to try this on myself!😂

Get paper masks, which are more breathable, and practice wearing them whenever you go out in your hometown.

I appreciate all the tips! We made a teeny bit of progress today, so hopefully we can at least get around the resort without meltdowns by January!
from what I have seen at the small park I work at it is the kids who want to wear the masks to go on the rides. it is the parents that try to bend the rules even the littles. if you have time yet this season try a trip small park in your area to practice

Maybe tell the 2 year old (not sure if it's a just turned 2 or almost 3,2) NO Disney if he won't wear the mask? That's a pretty big incentive to wear it.
I hope that if we’re still struggling with it in January that actually being left without most of the family in the hotel room will make him come around, but he was so young on our last trip and doesn’t fully understand what Disney World is enough for that to motivate him. We’ve offered every sweet imaginable just to try his mask on, but he’s genuinely scared of wearing a mask at this point 😩

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!