2 year old that refuses masks at resort

You’ve got this! Don’t be discouraged. Things are very different right now and it seems you’re prepared for that. My daughters are 3 and 1 (almost 2) and we’ve been to the parks four time since reopening. My 3 yo would not wear a mask at home for more than two minutes and she definitely wouldn’t wear one if I tried to make her. We stayed at Poly for three days in August and I thought the same as you, if we can’t go into the parks we’ll just make the best of it. I started wearing a mask around the house so she could get used to seeing me in it and I put on YouTube videos of people wearing masks and riding rides at the parks. Very simply I would repeat, ‘You have to wear a mask if you want to go to Disney’. I would say it a few times a day leading up to the trip, then she started to say it too. When we got to Disney she was wearing the mask no problem. She would get tried and hot and take it off. If she refused to wear it I put her in the stroller with the top down and we left the park. Then we’d go back to the resort and hang by the pool. By evening time she was willing to put it on again. As someone who has recently taken toddlers, I can tell you the CM’s and MOST guests understand that at some point they are going to take their masks off when they shouldn’t. When it was too much we’d put her in the stroller for a break and go over to a quite spot or use it as an opportunity to get a snack in the ac somewhere. All in all, a few months is a lot as far as mental development for a toddler. He might surprise you by that time.

You’ve got this! Don’t be discouraged. Things are very different right now and it seems you’re prepared for that. My daughters are 3 and 1 (almost 2) and we’ve been to the parks four time since reopening. My 3 yo would not wear a mask at home for more than two minutes and she definitely wouldn’t wear one if I tried to make her. We stayed at Poly for three days in August and I thought the same as you, if we can’t go into the parks we’ll just make the best of it. I started wearing a mask around the house so she could get used to seeing me in it and I put on YouTube videos of people wearing masks and riding rides at the parks. Very simply I would repeat, ‘You have to wear a mask if you want to go to Disney’. I would say it a few times a day leading up to the trip, then she started to say it too. When we got to Disney she was wearing the mask no problem. She would get tried and hot and take it off. If she refused to wear it I put her in the stroller with the top down and we left the park. Then we’d go back to the resort and hang by the pool. By evening time she was willing to put it on again. As someone who has recently taken toddlers, I can tell you the CM’s and MOST guests understand that at some point they are going to take their masks off when they shouldn’t. When it was too much we’d put her in the stroller for a break and go over to a quite spot or use it as an opportunity to get a snack in the ac somewhere. All in all, a few months is a lot as far as mental development for a toddler. He might surprise you by that time.
What about your almost 2 yr old? I know he/she doesn’t need one yet, but do you think compliance will be as easy before he/she is close to 3?

What makes me angry about the whole thing is that the cdc even put out this recommendation. I think they have tied Disney’s hands b/c Disney doesn’t want to look like they’re not following guidelines. But, the WHO recommends children 5 & under NOT wear masks for safety. That is MUCH more reasonable. The cdc recommendation is absurd.

This makes me feel a lot less stressed to hear others who struggled too! We’ll definitely have a similar strategy with lots of snack and relaxation breaks if we all make it in the parks.

I hope that if we’re still struggling with it in January that actually being left without most of the family in the hotel room will make him come around, but he was so young on our last trip and doesn’t fully understand what Disney World is enough for that to motivate him. We’ve offered every sweet imaginable just to try his mask on, but he’s genuinely scared of wearing a mask at this point 😩
if you have until January I would get him a couple of masks to play with not wear yet. have him practice wearing in the house watching tv or playing with toys. make it a fun thing for him. make doubly sure the masks are the right size form his small face so it doesnt cover his eyes. what does he like to do not just sweets. he the wears the mask for a playtime and you could take a trip a park as an idea. i have found with my young grandkids sweets are just not enough to change behavior

My two older kids (4 and 6) they are fine. My 2 year old (August birthday) it was a bit of a struggle. I got several different masks and have requested more of the ones she likes. It's extra hard because she also has glasses. We've been practicing wearing them at home with dance parties and watching videos. She really liked the baby shark mask video. I also started taking them to the store more to get used to it. The last few times, she didn't take her mask off once. I need to find somewhere to take her that's longer then 20 minutes! Maybe we'll head to the zoo soon (we did it before she turned two, so didn't need/shouldn't wear a mask).

What makes me angry about the whole thing is that the cdc even put out this recommendation. I think they have tied Disney’s hands b/c Disney doesn’t want to look like they’re not following guidelines. But, the WHO recommends children 5 & under NOT wear masks for safety. That is MUCH more reasonable. The cdc recommendation is absurd.
The CDC website says "Masks should NOT be worn by children under the age of 2." So then everyone started taking that as kids must wear masks in the name of public health the day they turn 2. As a parent of an almost 2, this stresses me out. At least her 4.5 year old brother is starting to be better about not touching the outside of his mask all the time. That's interesting about the WHO recommendation...they probably recognize that many younger children may struggle with mask hygiene.

Unfortunately I have no tips, just commiseration. I am hoping the mask requirement will be rescinded by April, or that my daughter will want to emulate her brother and cousins and wear a mask.

I did just see some Halloween-themed masks today and my kids love Halloween. Plus, I know Disney makes some Mickey face ones. Would he wear a mask if he thought it was part of a costume?

I’m not looking for a debate, but long story short we can’t cancel our January trip since we have a DVC rental, and while I’m hopeful our 2 year old will come around to the idea of a mask in the next 4 months, we need to have an idea about our back up plan. We are traveling with grandparents, so we’ll have multiple adults who can take turns hanging in the room with the 2 year old while the older kids go to the park. This is our plan right now, but it dawned on me earlier, can we even go into the resort with the 2 year old if he is still ripping his mask off? Right now we cover him up in the stroller if he goes out. Just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar boat & what to expect at the resort?

edited to add, we’re staying at the BWV if that makes a difference with the interior hallways.

From a survey Disney sent me about my Labor Day weekend trip, they might relax it by January (HOPEFULLY). They actually had one the response choices being "would have come without any safety precautions in place". They seem to be recognizing that most of the guests coming now are in that camp. The ones insisting on the masks, etc., are also the ones cancelling 2021 vacations.

That said, I saw two separate 2 year olds in strollers stopped at the gate of MK over Labor Day. Neither was allowed to proceed without putting a mask on. Both had them off by the time they got to town square. Saw one of them later in the day still maskless. I have not seen any CMs questioning whether a maskless toddler was 1, 2, 3, or even 4 once inside the gates, and saw plenty of them unmasked.. Can't say what the resorts stance is, but the 2 year old can most likely join in on the fun.

From a survey Disney sent me about my Labor Day weekend trip, they might relax it by January (HOPEFULLY). They actually had one the response choices being "would have come without any safety precautions in place". They seem to be recognizing that most of the guests coming now are in that camp. The ones insisting on the masks, etc., are also the ones cancelling 2021 vacations.

We're only going because masks are required, if they revoke the mask rule we will reschedule or cancel.

I'm here now. There aren't people patrolling the hallways. There is staff in the lobby and they're very strict in the parks. In my experience bus drivers won't say anything once you're in you're seat.

I'm not gonna lie it is very hard to keep the mask on continuously. In normal life you don't wear it outside but here it's on from when you leave your room until you return. You can take it off to eat but that's it. We spent more time this trip sitting at tables to have a drink or in the rare mask free zones than we did roaming the parks.

Hopefully since you're going in January it won't be so bad. The saddest thing i saw yesterday was a little one sleeping in the stroller with a mask on.

My kids are older so we didn't have issues but i was watching how those with little handled things. I saw one very stressed dad frantically tell his little that they would get kicked out if he didn't put it on. This was at the end of the day at the resort. I would say most kids are compliant when they're rested but by the end of the day watch out!

Good luck.

So we were going to go to the Zoo, but I didn’t realize you need to have a reservation (mom fail). We walked around the park/gardens near the zoo. Typically, I wouldn’t have had them in masks since we were outside and not by people, but this time, I told them we had to. I let them take it off to eat, but other than that, it was on. They did surprisingly well. My 2 year old only started complaining at the end, but I was able to keep it on her on until the car.

The Disney rule I didn’t follow (we’re in open space outside not by anyone, and masks aren’t required at this setting) was I let them have a snack while we walk

That will be a big change, because we usually let them eat snacks in the stroller while we’re moving. So just have to remember to take more stopped breaks.

So I’d say our practicing has paid off for my 2 year old! Plus we found a mask she really likes.

In true toddler fashion our 2 year old has done a total 180 and started wearing a mask like it was no big deal for him. We did start talking about wearing a mask at Disney by simply saying that he’d wear his mask at Disney and go on rides, as someone else had mentioned doing. That seemed to settle with him, so we decided to try the same tactic with a local theme park that doesn’t require masks until 3. Without even questioning it he picked out his mask and wore it all day yesterday! He even wore it at church today without a problem there either. Hopefully this sticks!

My daughter started to refuse to wear her mask at the end of our Zoo trip this weekend. I had other masks in the diaper bag and asked if she wanted to switch. She picked a different one and wore it the rest of the time. So I’ll be sure to bring a few for each kid every time we’re going to be wearing them for a while.

My daughter started to refuse to wear her mask at the end of our Zoo trip this weekend. I had other masks in the diaper bag and asked if she wanted to switch. She picked a different one and wore it the rest of the time. So I’ll be sure to bring a few for each kid every time we’re going to be wearing them for a while.
This is good advice even for older kids. Mine get mask fatigue from the same masks all the time too.

I'm relating pretty hard to this topic. Taking my 2 year old in a few weeks time and building a lot of patience! :)

I'm relating pretty hard to this topic. Taking my 2 year old in a few weeks time and building a lot of patience! :)
We had one ride on Saturday that we ended up riding several times because it was DS favorite ride and was motivation for him to put his mask back on after meals and snacks. We'll definitely be bringing a lot of patience in January because I've learned so far that DS has to want to wear a mask in order for us to keep one on his face. If he doesn't want to wear it, there isn't any amount of discipline that is going to keep the mask on him.

I think we are all frustrated at having to wear a mask. Unfortunately Covid hasn't simply vanished, and as of yet there is no vaccine. As over it as we all are, wearing a mask is the best way to slow the spread.
For adults sure. For 2 year olds it’s overkill.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter