20,000 leagues?

Originally I'd heard it was very expensive to operate but recently saw something where someone said there was a problem with the walls in the lagoon.

This has been a topic of discussion on these boards many, many times. The common belief is that the ride was way too mechanical for it's own good.

It ran on diesel (smelly, nasty, polluting), loaded and unloaded very slowly, didn't hold many guests at one time creating long, long lines, required a large contingency of CM's to make it operate and although it was a unique ride it was also laughably amatuerish with its brightly colored plastic fish, held in place by plastic line. I am sure it was starting to get very expensive to maintain as well. I think it was a classic but it was to big to be continuiously done.

I'm sure others will add more to this. I can't imagine it having to do with the "walls" because the lagoon is still there 8 plus years later. Who knows??

I think now a days they would say that its not handicapped accesible. I don't remember if there was ever a wheelchair entrance. I could be wrong! i only rode it once and that was back in 1980

I think now a days they would say that its not handicapped accesible. I don't remember if there was ever a wheelchair entrance. I could be wrong! i only rode it once and that was back in 1980
You are correct...it was not handicapped accessable!
It is correct that it was not handicapped accessible, but that isn't why it closed. There are other rides that are not handicapped accessible or very minimally accessible that are still open.
We've been to WDW at least once a year since 1986 and before it closed for good, it was frequently down for repairs. As far as I have been told, goofyernmost hit most of the reasons for it closing pretty well.

thanks for everyones responses - hopefully when economic times are better they can make a better use for the lagoon

Originally posted by hucifer
Does this mean I can't ride it anymore?

The ride's been closed for almost a decade now, with the subs rotting away in a backstage boneyward and Castaway Key, if I am not mistaken. It's beyond fixing at this point.
It'll remain as a "reflecting pool" until the company decides that they need the space now occupied by the lagoon to install new rides or shows, which will probably not happen for a while. The Magic Kingdom still draws huge crowds, and the costs of draining the lagoon without the surrounding structures becoming unstable are reportedly quite significant. The three other parks, on the other hand, both have available space and a need for new attractions to boost their attendance, so they'll come first (Thus Mission: SPACE, the rumored Spain pavilion, the MGM car stunt show, animation tour rehab and Expedition: EVEREST).

WDWGuide,
It's almost embarrassing to read your descriptive and thorough reply to my tongue-in-cheek question. :rolleyes: Ah, you have to understand that it's Friday and I'm in a very sassy mood. I've been to MK many times since it's unfortunate demise, so my silly question was to be taken quite lightly. But I do appreciate the time it took you to write such a response. I learned a thing or two from your post, so don't think it was all for naught. ;)

Back in 1999 a CM told me that the biggest reason they closed it was because the propane system was becoming unsafe; Disney was afraid it would explode. The other reasons were also cited by the CM but the safety issue was the biggest.

Personally, 20,000 Leagues was one of my favorites as a boy. Corny as it was, a "real submarine" trip was cool. I wish my children could have experienced it.

*sigh*

WA

WA

It too was one of my favorites as a young boy, but after growing up a wee little bit, it sort of got boring to see the fish dangling on fishing line, but it served its purpose in my young eyes

:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

Originally posted by jtbdas
WA

It too was one of my favorites as a young boy, but after growing up a wee little bit, it sort of got boring to see the fish dangling on fishing line, but it served its purpose in my young eyes

Yup! :p

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter