20 Years of Dreams Event - Official Thread

Maybe someday there will be an event NOT in surface of the sun times, so I can consider attending!
We certainly hope so. The 3 of us agreed that if the DIS does any more August events, we will head down for the event itself but not plan a whole trip around it and definitely not plan much if any park time outside of the event itself. It just wasn't fun in that weather.

Glad it seems that all had such a nice time, especially spending time with friends, old and new, which is always the most important thing, IMHO. And such an awesome amount of money raised for GKTW!!

Maybe someday there will be an event NOT in surface of the sun times, so I can consider attending! :)

Like I told some of you, I have done events in the past, most recently as the chairman of a national convention for a hobby group. It was in Orlando. In August. Two years ago. The reason we do events in late summer and early fall is the hotel rates are much less per night. A lot less. For my organization's Regional events, sometimes the rates are half as much as the winter/spring.

Like I told some of you, I have done events in the past, most recently as the chairman of a national convention for a hobby group. It was in Orlando. In August. Two years ago. The reason we do events in late summer and early fall is the hotel rates are much less per night. A lot less. For my organization's Regional events, sometimes the rates are half as much as the winter/spring.
That's one reason but I think the main reason the DIS does it is because otherwise they get a million complaints (understandably) from parents and teachers because it conflicts with school.

Hi! Wondering if anyone who wasn't there in person has been contacted about auction items yet. Just searched my spam folder in case email went there, but there are thousands of emails in my spam folder so I could have missed it.

Hi! Wondering if anyone who wasn't there in person has been contacted about auction items yet. Just searched my spam folder in case email went there, but there are thousands of emails in my spam folder so I could have missed it.
I seem to recall that last time it did take a while for Teresa to get in touch with everyone so I'd advise being patient. Keep in mind that there are literally only 3 people who do the bulk of this work - Teresa and the other two Welcome Center employees, Jen and Stania. And processing the auction items isn't even their main job.

The auction had nearly 500 items so I'm sure it's a massive job to sort everything, contact everyone, and ship each item. It will likely take weeks before it's all done.

Thank you to all who supported the auction either by buying items or donating items.

Seems like a good spot to remind people that GKTW still needs your contributions. Please pass this along to your friends as well:
If you were not able to donate to GKTW this week we have worked out a way you can do so with GKTW so it goes to our overall fundraising totals. Just text Dreams20 to 44321 and you will receive a link that takes you to a donation page. From there you can donate any amount you're comfortable with. We're asking you to consider talking to 10 friends to get them to donate $10 each. It's a truly great cause and organization and you will feel good having helped send a child to Walt Disney World.

Last edited:
That's one reason but I think the main reason the DIS does it is because otherwise they get a million complaints (understandably) from parents and teachers because it conflicts with school.

True because they could have held it in October or November when the weather is downright wonderful. I did a convention in Jacksonville the 1st weekend in November in 2015 and it was downright sweater weather in the evenings, hitting the upper 40's overnight.

True because they could have held it in October or November when the weather is downright wonderful. I did a convention in Jacksonville the 1st weekend in November in 2015 and it was downright sweater weather in the evenings, hitting the upper 40's overnight.
That’s funny. We went to a convention in Orlando in November 2015 and it was in the 90s every day. I don’t remember the nite weather but it was hot during the day.

That’s funny. We went to a convention in Orlando in November 2015 and it was in the 90s every day. I don’t remember the nite weather but it was hot during the day.

Oh it is funny. The weather down here is really screwy. Jacksonville is so far north it can be downright chilly while Orlando and Tampa are hot, and it can be even hotter in Miami. The state is so long North/South. I'm about 200 miles south of Jax and Miami is another 250-300(?) miles south of me. In New Jersey you can drive the Garden State Parkway from Cape May to the NY State border in 2 and a half hours. It takes less time to drive to Louisville, KY from Tallahassee than it does from Tallahassee to Key West.

I was at Food & Wine last year and on Sunday it was HOT and on Monday & Tuesday it was very comfortable. And we always get that last spurt of summer sometime in late October/early November too.

When I went annually, I always went anywhere from November - February. And the weather could be WILDLY unpredictable, and vary WILDLY during my week (give or take) visit. I've been there in January when it's been in the 70's during the day, and downright chilly (even for a Northerner) at night ( I LOVED it!!). And I've been there when it's been in the 90's during the day. And I've also been there when it's not been hot temperature-wise, but been so daggone HUMID that I was MISERABLE, and my glasses and camera got/stayed fogged up, and I was dripping, irritable, and in pain.

But I still consider the gamble of this time of year MUCH easier to take, and even assume, to some extent, than to make/take during the times outside of my "window months", at least in my particular case. Would not, could not, will not do it. Sam I am. :)

When I went annually, I always went anywhere from November - February. And the weather could be WILDLY unpredictable, and vary WILDLY during my week (give or take) visit. I've been there in January when it's been in the 70's during the day, and downright chilly (even for a Northerner) at night ( I LOVED it!!). And I've been there when it's been in the 90's during the day. And I've also been there when it's not been hot temperature-wise, but been so daggone HUMID that I was MISERABLE, and my glasses and camera got/stayed fogged up, and I was dripping, irritable, and in pain.

But I still consider the gamble of this time of year MUCH easier to take, and even assume, to some extent, than to make/take during the times outside of my "window months", at least in my particular case. Would not, could not, will not do it. Sam I am. :)

Welcome to the wacky world of Florida weather!

I'm sure a lot goes in to deciding when to have the event--yeah, August is HOT, but maybe it's also when there is availability for the facilities they need at a price that works. And they did get a great rate on rooms and tickets which must have been partly due to the dates chosen. Plus other factors I'm sure I'd never think of.

I'm sure a lot goes in to deciding when to have the event--yeah, August is HOT, but maybe it's also when there is availability for the facilities they need at a price that works. And they did get a great rate on rooms and tickets which must have been partly due to the dates chosen. Plus other factors I'm sure I'd never think of.
Oh - I totally AGREE on the thought process involved with pricing, availability, and appealing to the masses and all - I just don't LIKE it - I wanna be a special snowflake and not MELT, and it's all about me, always, right?!!!! :rotfl2:

Any idea when we will be contacted about our auction winnings? I wasn’t able to pick them up while we were in Florida. Just wondering when we would be contacted. Thanks!

Any idea when we will be contacted about our auction winnings? I wasn’t able to pick them up while we were in Florida. Just wondering when we would be contacted. Thanks!
Processing the nearly 500 auction items is a huge task for Teresa. I think they said on Tuesday that everything was boxed up for shipping and they will now start contacting everyone. Be patient. You can shoot Teresa an email to check in. Also, make sure you have paid for your items through Handbid. They can't ship anything that hasn't been paid for.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!