2015 Marathon Weekend 5K

twinsouvenirs

Mother of Dragons :)
Trying to set a goal for next year--looks like our trip lines up with Marathon weekend!

I have never done a run Disney event, and it's been a long time since I did a 5k. I am out of practice to say the least, and I'll be having a baby in July so I'm hoping this will be a good way to get back into shape.

I have a LOT of questions though!

-It looks like they don't even track finishes for the 5k, is that correct? I would love to have some record of this but it looks like I'd have to do the 10k for that.
-Is the pace requirement for the 5k the 16 minute mile? How about for the 10k? I know I used to be able to walk a 15 minute mile so if that is the case I will be less intimidated.
-Do people dress up for the 5ks on Marathon weekend, or is that just for longer races or the Princess?
-Will I still be eligible for the fun extra purchases like the shoes, the Dooney bags etc if I just run the 5k?
-Are the race 'hotels' the same each time, and if so, which are they? I am DVC and we are currently planning to book at SSR or OKW.
-Can family watch for free?
-I am sure this is unlikely, but is there any childcare available during these races? We have toddlers.

-It looks like they don't even track finishes for the 5k, is that correct? I would love to have some record of this but it looks like I'd have to do the 10k for that.
-Is the pace requirement for the 5k the 16 minute mile? How about for the 10k? I know I used to be able to walk a 15 minute mile so if that is the case I will be less intimidated.
-Do people dress up for the 5ks on Marathon weekend, or is that just for longer races or the Princess?
-Will I still be eligible for the fun extra purchases like the shoes, the Dooney bags etc if I just run the 5k?
-Are the race 'hotels' the same each time, and if so, which are they? I am DVC and we are currently planning to book at SSR or OKW.
-I am sure this is unlikely, but is there any childcare available during these races? We have toddlers.

1. This year, only the Dopey Challenge runners were timed.
2. Supposedly, there is a 16 min/mile pace requirement. The balloon ladies were NOT at the 5k. I don't know if they were at the 10k. They were sweeping people at the half and full marathon.
3. Many, many people were in costume for every race.
4. Yes.
5. Marathon weekend, every hotel is a host resort on WDW property, including DVC.
6. Absolutely. They should take the bus with you.
7. Nope.

Just to add to roomthreeseventeen's response...

I did the 5K in 2013 along with the half and full, and I thought there were, by far, more people dressed up for the 5K. Also, lots of families were there doing it together. It was a really fun, low-pressure environment.
Yes...but not in the park itself. Only in the parking lot portions. Here is a course map:
2013-WDW-5K.jpg

2013 was the same as this year's map: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/wdw-marathon/2014/10K5KMap.pdf
No, and no strollers allowed anymore. Also keep in mind that there are kids' races in case you want your toddlers to get in on the fun. :)

The balloon ladies and sweepers were at the 10k. I stayed with them for the first 4 miles before taking off at my usual pace...

No, and no strollers allowed anymore. Also keep in mind that there are kids' races in case you want your toddlers to get in on the fun. :)

This is a total bummer... but the kids' races sound great! How young do they go? Our girls will be about 2.5 then.

Here is a more detailed map of the Epcot based 5k route.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37052596/

IT's a fun race and one where you are truly running for fun since there is no timing for the 5k race.

Note that many folks who run this course are a little bummed as the first half is in the parking lot and then backstage. your friends and family can watch free from the parking lot then at the finish line.

I hope you can find a way to run it as it is a great little race. Stay a week after the race and you can also run a 5k in Universal - again an untimed 5k but one in a park.

2.5 years old is old enough to participate in the kids races. There is a diaper dash for babies, and very short races for the various age groups. Each age group's race get slightly longer with the increasing age of the kids in that group. It goes to a maximum of the "Mickey Mile". I've done them with my kids and they loved doing them, if for no other reason than to feel like they are doing something similar to what mom and dad are doing for the longer races.

A question for the group. Is there an age limit on the 5K? Would an 9 year old be allowed to do it?

A question for the group. Is there an age limit on the 5K? Would an 9 year old be allowed to do it?

My 6 year old ran the 5k this year and there was a guy carring what looked like a registered 3 year old on his shoulders in Corral D. I do not think there is a limit.

Do they already have dates for marathon weekend 2015. If so please post link. I looked could not find it.

2.5 years old is old enough to participate in the kids races. There is a diaper dash for babies, and very short races for the various age groups. Each age group's race get slightly longer with the increasing age of the kids in that group. It goes to a maximum of the "Mickey Mile". I've done them with my kids and they loved doing them, if for no other reason than to feel like they are doing something similar to what mom and dad are doing for the longer races. A question for the group. Is there an age limit on the 5K? Would an 9 year old be allowed to do it?

awesome!!!! This makes my day ;)

there actually is childcare available. kids nite out is the company and they will come to your room marathon weekend starting at 3am. it's about $22/hr for one kid. they charge a little extra because of the time. i had it set up for last weekend but at the last minute canceled because my husband made it to orlando in time. of course i canceled too late and had to pay anyway but yeah, you can get childcare.

2.5 years old is old enough to participate in the kids races. There is a diaper dash for babies, and very short races for the various age groups. Each age group's race get slightly longer with the increasing age of the kids in that group. It goes to a maximum of the "Mickey Mile". I've done them with my kids and they loved doing them, if for no other reason than to feel like they are doing something similar to what mom and dad are doing for the longer races.

I know its been answered by yes. I ran this with my 9 year old and 10 year old nephew. They have ran this 5k for the last couple of years now.

Many runners/walkers wear costumes. I was dressed as Minnie Mouse and looked ridiculous but it was fun. My neice was some Disney Princess...I saw four adult men dressed as Dalmations and countless adults dressed in various Princess/Tink and Mouse outfits. I saw Pirates and so on....it is fun.

What I did learn this year though is while I did not see Balloon ladies I did hear they have people on bicycles that sweep you and they were apparently behind everyone in the 5k...so they do have sweepers.

I was told the sweepers were only there for the Dopeys, but I don't know if they were actually sweeping them from the 5K...anyways I'm planning on running the 5K next year! I was in Disney coincidentally the same weekend and felt out of the loop that I didn't have a medal around my neck at some point during my trip :confused3

there actually is childcare available. kids nite out is the company and they will come to your room marathon weekend starting at 3am. it's about $22/hr for one kid. they charge a little extra because of the time. i had it set up for last weekend but at the last minute canceled because my husband made it to orlando in time. of course i canceled too late and had to pay anyway but yeah, you can get childcare.

great to know! We have a sitter down there that is $20/hr for two but that is for normal hours :)

I always can rely on dis! People on here are great!! I recently came to the realization that unlike past trips where I had someone to stay with my youngest... there will be no one with dh and I to stay with our dd while we run. She will be 10 and I figure she will be asleep almost until we return. While we could take someone with us we were really hoping to have it be just the three of us for this trip. So probably we will be looking at about $150? And how much does one tip for something like this?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter