2016 WDW Marathon Journey (Comments Welcome)

Good to hear. Rooting for you to get that marathon goal!

Easy 8 last night, 10 tonight with 6 at MP-10 sec in 2x3 mile intervals, 13 on Thurs (10 @ MP), 6 on Fri, 10 on Sat, 16 on Sun. Saturday/Sunday look like they'll be between 10-20 degrees. Going to start heat acclimating (wear more clothes during running than normal) soon so the shock of 50-70 degrees doesn't throw my muscles out of whack when I'm down in Florida. I've read it takes about 10-14 days and 6-7 workouts to acclimate. I'd LOVE for it to be in the 40s as well for Marathon Weekend. However, my wife is rooting for 80 degrees for this whole vacation thing (LOL!). Priorities... :D

That's some hard training you have planned this week! I hope I am able to pull off my goal as well, I think as long as I go below 3:30 this year I will be happy and wont have to chase another marathon until next season. I really need to work on speed, and improve my old 5k and 10k times with the races in town this spring. It may get difficult to pull off because we are looking to move/sell our house when we return from Disney. Nothing in the world is more miserable than moving, adding beer to the equation doesn't not improve the task either. Your wife and mine are in agreement for the weather, except mine would like it to be cold for the marathon only so I can try to hit my goal and not run as many miles after the race because I'm training for a spring marathon. Also, about the temps, I have been running a lot of miles on the TM which its about 70-75 in the gym, but replicating RH% is hard to do. I think the RH% is harder to deal with than the temps... Good luck this week with training and thanks for the comments!

Oh man, I hate when sickness gets in the way of your running schedule. But I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

I think the marathon weather could probably be a drop cooler ... but the current forecast for the whole weekend isn't too bad. Hopefully it'll stay close to where it is now and not go up or down too much.
I really wish long-term weather forecasts were more reliable...

Oh man, I hate when sickness gets in the way of your running schedule. But I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

I think the marathon weather could probably be a drop cooler ... but the current forecast for the whole weekend isn't too bad. Hopefully it'll stay close to where it is now and not go up or down too much.
I really wish long-term weather forecasts were more reliable...

Thanks. Long range forecast are difficult to predict in a normal year, but this year things are really strange. Wasn't it around 80 in NY the other day, when last year they had snow on the ground at this time. We will probably end up with a hurricane during marathon weekend....

Thanks. Long range forecast are difficult to predict in a normal year, but this year things are really strange. Wasn't it around 80 in NY the other day, when last year they had snow on the ground at this time. We will probably end up with a hurricane during marathon weekend....

Yeah, we haven't had any snow here yet and we've gotten into the 70's a few times. It's pretty crazy.
Only about 3 weeks until marathon weekend ... so hopefully in 3 weeks we'll know what weather to expect. Maybe.

I've seen your username on the boards, and knew you were a "fan"! We'll be flying from New Orleans Tues and returning on Monday. Are you bringing others with you?
Driving to airport from Lafayette. We'll have four of us, but only one is doing Dopey. Two more will join her for the 10K. My only goal is to stay ahead of the balloon ladies!!
Good luck to you!

I've seen your username on the boards, and knew you were a "fan"! We'll be flying from New Orleans Tues and returning on Monday. Are you bringing others with you?
Driving to airport from Lafayette. We'll have four of us, but only one is doing Dopey. Two more will join her for the 10K. My only goal is to stay ahead of the balloon ladies!!
Good luck to you!

First of all GEAUX TIGERS! For this trip it will just be my wife and our 2 year old daughter. My aunt and a cousin may also make the trip to watch the marathon and play with the little one as well as babysitter one night while we have a nice meal at the park. We are leaving Baton Rouge on 1/8 and driving to Gainesville. Going to the expo Saturday morning and then the parks for a while. I am the only one running any of the events from my group and this will be my 4th marathon, but first Disney race. We checkout on the 14th. Which race are you doing? Since you are from Lafayette, have you run the Zydeco marathon / half yet? I hear they have a new course this year! If the weather is warm or I just have a bad day, the marathon in Lafayette is my backup plan. Making the trip towards Lafayette next week to head to Opelousas for Christmas. If I ran either of the events for Zydeco I will have to make sure to stop and get some boudin and pizza shack. Thanks for stopping by and good luck to you as well!

My daughter is the runner. She did run the zydeco half marathon last year and is signed up again this year for the full. I am going to Disney to foot the bill, I mean to offer support :) I will attempt to do the 10 k with her . I did the Crescent City Classic over 25 years ago, so I figured I could do this one too! Really, it is more about the three of us participating together in a race.

But more importantly, I am so glad Let is staying and think he showed so much class the day of the A & M game.

Glad you have someone coming along to help with the little one.

Running Week Recap - 12/14 - 12/20

12/14 - 10 TM Mi @ 8:35 pace
12/15 - 7 TM Mi @ 8:27 pace
12/18 - 3 Mi @ 8:02 pace
12/19 - 20 Mi @ 8:44 pace

Week Total = 40.04
December Total = 88.52

It was a bit of a struggle this week. Missed a run during the middle of the week and woke up Saturday morning feeling sick. I made myself get the 20 miles in as it was the most important run for the next 3 weeks. The cold started Saturday morning and Sunday was things got worse. This morning the cold is improving, but I still think I have a few days before I can say its done. I may run today, but will have to see how I am feeling this afternoon. If I can get over this soon and not get sick again before race day, I should be fully recovered and able to give my best effort for the marathon. I noticed that even while the effects of the cold are gone, it still takes another few days before my running returns to 100%. I need to live in a bubble for the next 3 weeks.

I feel exactly the same way ... getting sick now would not be fun.

It is not fun at all and very stressful as well. For fun I looked at my training log from last year for the 4 weeks leading up to my last marathon and found the following numbers:
4 weeks - 9.36 miles
3 weeks - 23.49 miles
2 weeks - 19.77 miles
Marathon week - 29.67 miles (Includes actual marathon)

I was dealing with a injury and going to PT 2-3 a week. Before the injury I had a goal of 3:30 marathon, but after a month of little to no running a 3:45 finish time became the new goal. My foot hurt for most of the marathon, but I did manage to finish below my goal. I guess I should worry about missing a few runs since I will still have way more mileage under my belt leading up to Disney. For comparison from last year: week 4 - 40.04 miles. In one week I am have almost half the mileage I did for an entire month leading up the marathon.

The good news is my cold is trending towards improving this morning and if I stay feeling this way I may even attempt a few miles on the ole treadmill tonight.

Completely unrelated to running post. Since Dec 2012 I have worked for 2 different companies and neither offered any bonus structure at all. The company I have only been working for only 7 months that was my dream job coming out of college gave me a little chunk of change. Its great to finally work for a company that rewards it employees. Its a fairly large company and the owner actually comes to your office and hands it to you. That's a nice touch. Looking forward to many more years with this company!

Running Week Recap - 12/21 - 12-27

12/23 - 3 TM Mi @ 8:43 pace
12/24 - 3.5 Mi @ 8:04 pace
12/26 - 6.2 Mi @ 8:36 pace

Weekly Total = 12.73 Miles
Monthly Total = 101.25 Miles

Well, that did not go as planned. Between the cold, the holidays, and the heat very little running got done. The few times I did go run, I coughed the entire time I was running. My sinuses are so messed up right now that my teeth hurt when I walk/run. It has been a bit unpleasant. This month is still going better leading up to the marathon then last years going into the Louisiana Marathon. I PR'd that race by ~9 minutes, so I haven't lost hope yet. What does concern me more than the lack of running is the weather for marathon morning. The good news is it looks like we will end up with much cooler temps on the latest forecast models. In other news, I took yesterday easy and read a book called PRE. If I was lacking inspiration before reading it, I am not any longer. Today I hope to do a little catch up on running, which is a little dicey, but after consulting a few folks they agree with the idea. The hope is to get 15 miles in today and then resume the taper schedule. I was told no runs more than 2 hours with less than 10 days to go. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and is staying healthy.

I would agree with no runs above 2 hours beyond 10 days to go. Good Luck!

Only did 11 tonight. I can only take so much coughing while running. Its a lot like what I would imagine it would be like to smoke a pack of kools and then go run would feel like...

Only did 11 tonight. I can only take so much coughing while running. Its a lot like what I would imagine it would be like to smoke a pack of kools and then go run would feel like...

That's still good. I had a similar situation last year leading up to Disney. Luckily the sickness broke about 2 days before we left. Now the important part is to get rid of this sickness and you're body will know what to do when it comes to the running.

It's game day for the Tigers! Actually two games today, with the first being the basketball team playing Wake Forest and then the bowl game v/s Texas Tech. Both games are must wins. GEAUX TIGERS!

Running Week Recap - 12/21 - 12-27

12/23 - 3 TM Mi @ 8:43 pace
12/24 - 3.5 Mi @ 8:04 pace
12/26 - 6.2 Mi @ 8:36 pace

Weekly Total = 12.73 Miles
Monthly Total = 101.25 Miles

Well, that did not go as planned. Between the cold, the holidays, and the heat very little running got done. The few times I did go run, I coughed the entire time I was running. My sinuses are so messed up right now that my teeth hurt when I walk/run. It has been a bit unpleasant. This month is still going better leading up to the marathon then last years going into the Louisiana Marathon. I PR'd that race by ~9 minutes, so I haven't lost hope yet. What does concern me more than the lack of running is the weather for marathon morning. The good news is it looks like we will end up with much cooler temps on the latest forecast models. In other news, I took yesterday easy and read a book called PRE. If I was lacking inspiration before reading it, I am not any longer. Today I hope to do a little catch up on running, which is a little dicey, but after consulting a few folks they agree with the idea. The hope is to get 15 miles in today and then resume the taper schedule. I was told no runs more than 2 hours with less than 10 days to go. Hope everyone is enjoying the holidays and is staying healthy.

Sorry to hear that you've been ill.. I've been really ill too and the coughing on runs is NO FUN!
The weather is freaking me out, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for cooler temps for the marathon as I'm just not used to the heat

Hope you enjoyed the holidays and are getting excited for next week!

Sorry to hear that you've been ill.. I've been really ill too and the coughing on runs is NO FUN!
The weather is freaking me out, I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed for cooler temps for the marathon as I'm just not used to the heat

Hope you enjoyed the holidays and are getting excited for next week!

Thanks! The cold is almost gone, but I am still coughing on my runs. I think it will be all clear by next week. Hope you feel better soon as well. I've run a half marathon once while sick (running a fever and all) and its was hard. I wouldn't want to try a marathon in the same shape. Holidays have gone well and I am looking forward to our trip. Hope things have gone well for you. Only a few short days away now!

The Tigers won their bowl game, covered the spread, and yet I still got pissed at Les Miles. I have a love hate relationship with out head coach. The basketball team may have the worse coach in the country. So much talent and it looks like our best shot post season is the NIT...

Glad to hear you are almost over this crud going around! You must be getting excited, I know I am just reading everyone's pre-race posts. Not long now!

Yep, Les is just one of those soar subjects for us tigers. The players are just so talented, it hurts to see them not go as far as we all know they can-still very proud of them! And they are such a young team. As far as bb goes, I just stopped keeping track of it years ago. I do love baseball though...can't wait for the first game at the box this season! I will miss Jim announcing though.

Running Week Recap 12/28 - 1/3

12/28 - 11 TM Mi @ 8:52 pace
12/29 - 3 Mi @ 7:38 pace
1/1 - 10 TM Mi @8:38 pace

Weekly Total = 24 miles

From the marathon thread weather updates it seems marathon morning is going to be unpleasant. If its going to be as bad as I think, just beating my time from my last marathon would be a big victory. In order to do so I need to at least stay below a 8:30 pace. The plan was a 7:45 pace, and the warmth is going to add at least a few seconds per mile. Best case scenario now seems to be 8:00 to 8:15 pace. My runs lately have seem to be very difficult, I don't know if that's because of my mood from the weather forecast, or just being stuck on a TM. Im going to try to stick with the TM for now because its at least warm, but cant get RH% to match race conditions. We got below 32 last night, which would be great to run in, but does not do me any good for the marathon this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!