2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

Hubby checked it out. Is that usually what they offer or whats been the best promo?

Once dd and room mate meet they can decide what they plan on doing matching or different style. First thought was they would pick out their own colors and style but for some reason I have a feeling they might end up matching. They seem to have the same connection so not sure. Once they meet hopefully they come up with a plan. My dd has been looking but nothing is catching her eye. Once she finds something then everything else will fall into place.

Dorm closet is small and they share it :/ They will have a private bathroom they will share with another room. I pray they other room girls are nice and chill. My dd and her room mate are easy going and nice so hopefully the 4 girls all have the same personalities. I'm not buying anything for the bathroom until we see how things go. Hopefully the girls will take turns buying an air freshener and hand soap? How does toilet paper work do the girls just leave it in there or carry it back and forth? Not a problem to leave rolls in the cabinet if they all contributed but if they don't then not fair to the ones that do. Curious about the toilet paper leave it in the bathroom or carry it back and forth or does each gift leave certain things in their own bag or basket in the bathroom cabinet like pads, tampons, shavers, toilet paper etc?

My daughter's dorm supplies the toilet paper.

Hubby checked it out. Is that usually what they offer or whats been the best promo?

Once dd and room mate meet they can decide what they plan on doing matching or different style. First thought was they would pick out their own colors and style but for some reason I have a feeling they might end up matching. They seem to have the same connection so not sure. Once they meet hopefully they come up with a plan. My dd has been looking but nothing is catching her eye. Once she finds something then everything else will fall into place.

Dorm closet is small and they share it :/ They will have a private bathroom they will share with another room. I pray they other room girls are nice and chill. My dd and her room mate are easy going and nice so hopefully the 4 girls all have the same personalities. I'm not buying anything for the bathroom until we see how things go. Hopefully the girls will take turns buying an air freshener and hand soap? How does toilet paper work do the girls just leave it in there or carry it back and forth? Not a problem to leave rolls in the cabinet if they all contributed but if they don't then not fair to the ones that do. Curious about the toilet paper leave it in the bathroom or carry it back and forth or does each gift leave certain things in their own bag or basket in the bathroom cabinet like pads, tampons, shavers, toilet paper etc?
I have no idea of how the bathroom would work either. It would get pretty old for me having to lug toilet paper around - lol. The one video I watched where two rooms share a bathroom it looked pretty small and I don't think each girl could keep all their supplies in it. Then I watched another video (different college) where the bathroom is down the hall and there is space for all the supplies to be lined up. My dd is really hoping to not have a "down the hall" bathroom.

Just wondering what your children are doing for supplies such as binders, etc. Are you all just bringing a bunch of different supplies? I'd rather her not shop at the school store as I know it is more expensive. We've been picking up some supplies here and there but not really sure about binders. She used them all thru high school for each class. Just trying to buy as much ahead of time.

Just wondering what your children are doing for supplies such as binders, etc. Are you all just bringing a bunch of different supplies? I'd rather her not shop at the school store as I know it is more expensive. We've been picking up some supplies here and there but not really sure about binders. She used them all thru high school for each class. Just trying to buy as much ahead of time.
In college your kid should just bring the supplies she thinks will work for her. Folders, binders, notebooks, etc. if a professor requires something else she likely won't know until she gets there

I have no idea of how the bathroom would work either. It would get pretty old for me having to lug toilet paper around - lol. The one video I watched where two rooms share a bathroom it looked pretty small and I don't think each girl could keep all their supplies in it. Then I watched another video (different college) where the bathroom is down the hall and there is space for all the supplies to be lined up. My dd is really hoping to not have a "down the hall" bathroom.
If it is a suite there is probably a bathroom and the peoplecwill clean it themselves and bring their own bathroom supplies. If not a suite the bathroom will be down the hall and someone else will clean it. What kind of room did she request?

My DD will go to Office Max/Depot. I finally got around to recycling years of ink cartridges and I have $60 worth of Office Depot rewards for her to use.

If it is a suite there is probably a bathroom and the peoplecwill clean it themselves and bring their own bathroom supplies. If not a suite the bathroom will be down the hall and someone else will clean it. What kind of room did she request?
I think it depends on the school and maybe even the dorm. I recall one tour where the suite bathrooms were cleaned and stocked by the janitorial staff and another where the kids did the cleaning and stocking.

At my son's suite style dorm, the staff cleans the bathroom once a week and supplies the toilet paper. I'm sending cleaning supplies. I doubt DS will use them but I want them available incase someone really messes up the bathroom and it can't wait until cleaning day.

She won't know her room style until Aug. 4th. It will be either suite style where two rooms share a bathroom, room with bathroom down the hall or even a bathroom for her and her roommate. You cannot pick which one you want. It is chosen for you. She is really hoping not to get the bathroom down the hall. I do know that that gets cleaned for you and the others you clean yourselves.

In a perfect situation, everyone will chip in and keep it stocked but you may find that you buy more than your fair share. We found it easier to just buy plenty. No one wants to stress over toilet paper. My DD took a plastic caddy for the bathroom freshman year but found that a hanging organizer with pockets worked better as there was very little space to set anything down. She then hung it on the end of her bed to store it.

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/507...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CNT5hvSujtUCFdNlwQodl1ALkw

My best advice is to remember that this isn't like sending your kid to sleep away camp where they will have to get along with what they have and live without supplies that run thin or are forgotten. You're sending a young adult off on their own. They can purchase what they need as they need it. We live in a small city, my DD's University is in a metro area with access to many more stores. Amazon Prime also can get them everything imaginable in two days or less. Freshman year, my DD took a few pens, pencils, highlighters, a couple of spirals and then I have no idea what else she needed or where she got it. She loves Target so probably there.

She's home now and about to start senior year so I asked and here's her answer... "In most classes, I just take my laptop and have a folder on it for each class with subfolders for specific assignments or projects. In the few classes where the professor doesn't allow laptops (which is ridiculous!), I take a spiral, a pen, a highlighter, and tabs. Except for art classes, I have bought minimal school supplies. Oh, I do still love a physical planner so I buy a new one every year."

I know that I sound like a broken record but I can't stress enough how tiny the space is. DD21 just said that her best advice is to only bring stuff that you will use daily or , at least, every week.

She won't know her room style until Aug. 4th. It will be either suite style where two rooms share a bathroom, room with bathroom down the hall or even a bathroom for her and her roommate. You cannot pick which one you want. It is chosen for you. She is really hoping not to get the bathroom down the hall. I do know that that gets cleaned for you and the others you clean yourselves.
We can't pick either but we can request. My son only requested a room with a sink. That doesn't mean he will get one it's just something he would like to have. Freshmen are low on the pecking order

I agree with sk!mom that rooms are small and stores exist where items can be purchased. I did send my DD with some basic school supplies. She likes a certain type of binder/notebook hybrid and certain highlighters. I also bought her a Lilly Pulitzer planner that she LOVED! It is a 17 mo planner, so goes through Dec., but she has already requested another one as a Christmas gift. I will probably get it again later this summer, because the selection is better now and there is a store here that will monogram them for free.

That being said, I would think about getting some items that your child may use often and need, but that are household items. For example, a really good pair of scissors, a stapler, a hole-punch (3 hole punch), batteries, a flashlight (dorms have fire drills at all hours), a dish towel, dish soap, an extra light bulb, a mug/dishes. Send a copy of their health insurance and prescription cards. My DD takes several medications and goes to school out of state, so I spoke with our pharmacist and made sure she had paper copies of her prescriptions. (We also purposely chose a national pharmacy with a location both at home and in her college town for ease in refilling them over breaks.). You will be surprised at what they use and what they call about! They will be surprised, too, the first time they go to do something and don't have what they need. They'll figure it out.

DD has always had a suite bathroom she shared with another room. It had a shower door so no shower curtain needed. We bought a cheap rug for the bathroom and she did get a nicer one because it slipped too much when you got out. You could get toilet paper at the front desk. I also sent a brush and plunger and cleaner w/paper towels I never replaced. I told her the first fill was on the house. After that she was on her own. She bought her own shampoo and stuff because I just buy Dove and she wants salon items I refuse to pay for.

I also bought her a Lilly Pulitzer planner that she LOVED! It is a 17 mo planner, so goes through Dec., but she has already requested another one as a Christmas gift. I will probably get it again later this summer, because the selection is better now and there is a store here that will monogram them for free.

I'll have to look for these. I got DD a Kate Spade planner last Christmas that she loved so I'll need another cool one for this next Christmas.

I'll have to look for these. I got DD a Kate Spade planner last Christmas that she loved so I'll need another cool one for this next Christmas.
My DD loves the Lily Pulitzer planner too! We got lucky when we were at Disney springs last Jan and got one for $10. Only problem is, now she's hooked.

Arkansan had a nice list a few posts back. I also put in a couple of stamps and envelopes (sometimes things have to go snail mail).

We went shopping yesterday. We hit several stores yesterday
IKEA- chair pad, desk light, 2 wash rags, trash can, inside microwave cover
Bed Bath & Beyond- mattress protective cover, pillow protective cover, shower caddy, aqua flip flops, pop up laundry bag
Kohl's- mattress pillow top
Wal-mart- comforter set
We also hit Ross, Macy's, Sears and a mall but only bought from above stores. My feet were killing me. We still have a few more things to get

I'm not getting any bathroom stuff until the girls meet. My DD and her dorm mate are a perfect match but we don't know who they will be sharing the bathroom with. I'm hoping their bath mates are nice and easy to get along with. DD's dorm says Suite , 2 room share a bathroom and they have to clean it and provide their own toilet paper so whats the difference between a suite and just a dorm?? They don't have a sink in their room. Room is small enough for bed, desk and small log up cabinet along each side of the room and maybe space for a fridge. Beds lift up to a loft(I think that's what its called). Regular size standard closet. DD will raise her bed a lil.

off my head still need to get
-towels
-lap top
-lap top lock
-blanket
-sheets
-waterproof iphone cover
-storage container for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, laundry pods, fabric softener etc
-storage for food/snacks

The room comes with 3 moveable drawers under the bed. DD will use those for shorts, undergarments and misc ? She has the thinner hangers so will hang up some stuff and will have space at bottom of closet. DD will just take the clothes she will need a few pairs of short, pants, tops, a light zip up, a sweatshirt, pj's. I told her to take a nice dress and 1-2 nice outfit just incase something comes up or her program has a dinner or presentation etc. When she comes home to visit she can change out clothes/outfits. I feel so much better that everything is finally coming together

We went shopping yesterday. We hit several stores yesterday
IKEA- chair pad, desk light, 2 wash rags, trash can, inside microwave cover
Bed Bath & Beyond- mattress protective cover, pillow protective cover, shower caddy, aqua flip flops, pop up laundry bag
Kohl's- mattress pillow top
Wal-mart- comforter set
We also hit Ross, Macy's, Sears and a mall but only bought from above stores. My feet were killing me. We still have a few more things to get

I'm not getting any bathroom stuff until the girls meet. My DD and her dorm mate are a perfect match but we don't know who they will be sharing the bathroom with. I'm hoping their bath mates are nice and easy to get along with. DD's dorm says Suite , 2 room share a bathroom and they have to clean it and provide their own toilet paper so whats the difference between a suite and just a dorm?? They don't have a sink in their room. Room is small enough for bed, desk and small log up cabinet along each side of the room and maybe space for a fridge. Beds lift up to a loft(I think that's what its called). Regular size standard closet. DD will raise her bed a lil.

off my head still need to get
-towels
-lap top
-lap top lock
-blanket
-sheets
-waterproof iphone cover
-storage container for cleaning supplies, toilet paper, laundry pods, fabric softener etc
-storage for food/snacks

The room comes with 3 moveable drawers under the bed. DD will use those for shorts, undergarments and misc ? She has the thinner hangers so will hang up some stuff and will have space at bottom of closet. DD will just take the clothes she will need a few pairs of short, pants, tops, a light zip up, a sweatshirt, pj's. I told her to take a nice dress and 1-2 nice outfit just incase something comes up or her program has a dinner or presentation etc. When she comes home to visit she can change out clothes/outfits. I feel so much better that everything is finally coming together

You had a very productive day!

Not sure if you were actually asking, but...Suite style has a private bathroom shared by a few people (in her case 4). Traditional style has a community bathroom down the hall.

Our aldi had a grand opening today. I got a over the door mirror. In the color she likes for 7.99. And a pop up laundry basket same color. They had a little college type area with stuff. I found a super slim garbage can for under a desk for 2.99 and I got a silicone trivet for 1.29 or 1.19 for her to put her hair straightener iron on.

I got DS 2 of the folding shelves($3.99 each), a white board and a bulletin board (both $2.99 each).

On Saturday, I ordered a multi head floor lamp from Target ($10.79) and a set of sheets ($9.99). With my Target Red Card, I received a 5% discount and free shipping.

Also got detergent for $1.99 (Tide Basic) at our local grocery store.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter