2017 College Dorm shopping on a Budget

Well, he got his room assignment. He has a suite instead of a regular room, which means he won't have to schlep down the hall to the bathroom. The only problem is the beds in that building are twin and I bought twin XL bedding.

He hasn't contacted his room mate yet but they are following each other on instagram. :rolleyes1

Just wondering what your children are doing for supplies such as binders, etc. Are you all just bringing a bunch of different supplies? I'd rather her not shop at the school store as I know it is more expensive. We've been picking up some supplies here and there but not really sure about binders. She used them all thru high school for each class. Just trying to buy as much ahead of time.

I got DS pens (black and blue), mechanical pencils, folders, spiral notebooks (4), binders (4) and loose leaf paper. I also got paper clips, scissors, tape, binder clips, a ruler, a hole punch and a stapler.

I am sure that he will want other things but I figure I will make a trip to bring the extras he might need over Labor Day weekend. We are only about 2 hours from campus (he is going to school in Pittsburgh) and it also gives me an excuse to visit the Disney store!

Today, I worked on meds and needs for possible ailments. Laundry needs.
Think I am going to get the fridge that is on sale at Target.
And I signed in to pay for first semester.
DD is going with DH for best buy and staples run.
Only got 3 things at the bed bath and beyond sale.

What are the real essentials for a guy to bring to his dorm room? I'm looking up lists on-line and they seem like they all list stuff that isn't really needed. For example, an alarm clock...smartphones have made those a bit outdated. Or printers...most colleges have plenty of printers available for students to use and many profs just have students email their completed assignments to them. I just don't want to send him with all kinds of stuff he won't use or need. He can go buy stuff when he needs it(especially since we live very close to his college)... he just might not have a lot of time to mess with shopping once school starts.

I will add though that one thing we were really glad we spent the $ on for our daughter a couple years ago was a nice memory foam mattress pad. The dorm mattresses are HARD and she has said repeatedly how nice it was to have the nice pad on there.

Last edited:
What are the real essentials for a guy to bring to his dorm room? I'm looking up lists on-line and they seem like they all list stuff that isn't really needed. For example, an alarm clock...smartphones have made those a bit outdated. Or printers...most colleges have plenty of printers available for students to use and many profs just have students email their completed assignments to them. I just don't want to send him with all kinds of stuff he won't use or need. He can go buy stuff when he needs it(especially since we live very close to his college)... he just might not have a lot of time to mess with shopping once school starts.

I will add though that one thing we were really glad we spent the $ on for our daughter a couple years ago was a nice memory foam mattress pad. The dorm mattresses are HARD and she has said repeatedly how nice it was to have the nice pad on there.

My best advice is to look at his room at home and think about the things that he uses daily. I think that the dorm lists are a good starting place. We looked over it and nixed the things that she doesn't/wouldn't use- like an alarm clock.

The bed, of course, as I agree that comfortable sleep is a priority. We also didn't scrimp on a nice mattress topper, good quality sheets, and nice pillows. We looked for deals but didn't buy low quality to save.

A couple of towels and washcloths. A shower caddie or hanging toiletry bag. Laundry basket/ bag.

A good laptop.

A small first aid kit with the over the counter meds he would want in the case of a cold or headache.

Coordinate with his roommate on a room fridge and microwave unless they are provided by the school. Also coordinate on the bathroom if they have one rather than down the hall. DD and her freshman roommate also coordinated on a TV since it was too small a room for two. Maybe a coffee pot or Kuerig.

I agree with you on the printer. My DD21 is beginning senior year. Freshman year we sent her without and thought we would buy one if using the school/dorm printers was inconvenient. As it turned out, she rarely printed. Most assignments were turned in electronically. The dorm printers were fine and a personal printer would have taken up valuable space and rarely been used.

We bought her one the next year when she was in an apartment. In that living situation having to go out to print when she had plenty of space for her own was a hassle.

I'm surprised to read that some of your kids aren't bringing alarm clocks.

I was actually just about to post asking if anyone has found a small digital alarm clock with usb port and dimmer display. DS always uses an actual alarm clock.

I'm surprised to read that some of your kids aren't bringing alarm clocks.

I was actually just about to post asking if anyone has found a small digital alarm clock with usb port and dimmer display. DS always uses an actual alarm clock.
I bought my son an actual alarm clock a couple years and ago and he's never used it. He can set multiple alarms on his cell phone and he's all set.

My dd doesn't use the alarm clock for alarms, but she did want one, placed where she can see what time it is, without grabbing for her phone.

My best advice is to look at his room at home and think about the things that he uses daily. I think that the dorm lists are a good starting place. We looked over it and nixed the things that she doesn't/wouldn't use- like an alarm clock.

The bed, of course, as I agree that comfortable sleep is a priority. We also didn't scrimp on a nice mattress topper, good quality sheets, and nice pillows. We looked for deals but didn't buy low quality to save.

A couple of towels and washcloths. A shower caddie or hanging toiletry bag. Laundry basket/ bag.

A good laptop.

A small first aid kit with the over the counter meds he would want in the case of a cold or headache.

Coordinate with his roommate on a room fridge and microwave unless they are provided by the school. Also coordinate on the bathroom if they have one rather than down the hall. DD and her freshman roommate also coordinated on a TV since it was too small a room for two. Maybe a coffee pot or Kuerig.

I agree with you on the printer. My DD21 is beginning senior year. Freshman year we sent her without and thought we would buy one if using the school/dorm printers was inconvenient. As it turned out, she rarely printed. Most assignments were turned in electronically. The dorm printers were fine and a personal printer would have taken up valuable space and rarely been used.

We bought her one the next year when she was in an apartment. In that living situation having to go out to print when she had plenty of space for her own was a hassle.
Our DD is also a senior this year. We gave her an old printer when when she moved into an apartment and she says she rarely uses it...almost all her profs have things turned in electronically. My son turned in most of his HS homework electronically too.

My daughter had a long list when she moved into a dorm a few years ago...It's hard to guess what's really essential for my son. I don't want to clutter the place, or empty our wallets, with stuff he won't use. Even, the first aid kit you suggest...key word "small"...maybe I'll just give him a few bandaids, tylenol and his allergy medicine. Whenever our DD gets sick, she goes to the health clinic on campus and they give her all that OTC(or prescriptions) stuff she needs. She doesn't keep a bunch of stuff on hand that might expire before she even needs it.

I have only bought bedding, towels, power strips, and a few toiletries. He is close enough to come home over Labor Day so I figured we can get more stuff then. They get a printing allowance included in their tuition so I won't buy a printer unless he runs out of that mid semester.

My son has never used an actual alarm clock. He has been getting himself up since he was a freshman and he just uses his phone.

Even, the first aid kit you suggest...key word "small"...maybe I'll just give him a few bandaids, tylenol and his allergy medicine. Whenever our DD gets sick, she goes to the health clinic on campus and they give her all that OTC(or prescriptions) stuff she needs. She doesn't keep a bunch of stuff on hand that might expire before she even needs it.

Absolutely small. My DD took a bottle of ibuprofen, a box of bandaids, a bottle of Nyquil. If any illness goes beyond that, she heads to the campus clinic.

Well, he got his room assignment. He has a suite instead of a regular room, which means he won't have to schlep down the hall to the bathroom. The only problem is the beds in that building are twin and I bought twin XL bedding.

He hasn't contacted his room mate yet but they are following each other on instagram. :rolleyes1
so by his room mate instragram what does your son think will they get along?
I got DS pens (black and blue), mechanical pencils, folders, spiral notebooks (4), binders (4) and loose leaf paper. I also got paper clips, scissors, tape, binder clips, a ruler, a hole punch and a stapler.

I am sure that he will want other things but I figure I will make a trip to bring the extras he might need over Labor Day weekend. We are only about 2 hours from campus (he is going to school in Pittsburgh) and it also gives me an excuse to visit the Disney store!
I'm going to have DD go through all her school supplies. I'm sure she has some stuff that's still brand new. Not sure whats needed in college since some have mentioned assignments are electronically turned in. Maybe get her some notebooks and after the first week see what she will need. Checked out school schedule and DD will have 4 day weekend off for labor day because she doesn't have a Friday class.

Today, I worked on meds and needs for possible ailments. Laundry needs.
Think I am going to get the fridge that is on sale at Target.
And I signed in to pay for first semester.
DD is going with DH for best buy and staples run.
Only got 3 things at the bed bath and beyond sale.

sweet surprise that meal plan doesn't have to be paid until Sept 1st and same with Housing. 1st housing payment was due in July and I thought meal plan was due on August 1st but they changed it. First semester is already paid with loan and one of DD's 2 scholarships. Second Semester we have the money in an acct. She will get other 1/2 of unsubsidized loan, 3rd scholarship , kids savings acct and part of grad money. On a college yourtube video a girl mentioned a site called rate your professor or rate my professor and I was able to find 3 of dd's professors on there students said 2 don't require books and one did. The other 3 classes don't list the name of her professors.

First aid kits can be reimbursed if you have medical flex acct.

so by his room mate instragram what does your son think will they get along?

I'm going to have DD go through all her school supplies. I'm sure she has some stuff that's still brand new. Not sure whats needed in college since some have mentioned assignments are electronically turned in. Maybe get her some notebooks and after the first week see what she will need. Checked out school schedule and DD will have 4 day weekend off for labor day because she doesn't have a Friday class.

sweet surprise that meal plan doesn't have to be paid until Sept 1st and same with Housing. 1st housing payment was due in July and I thought meal plan was due on August 1st but they changed it. First semester is already paid with loan and one of DD's 2 scholarships. Second Semester we have the money in an acct. She will get other 1/2 of unsubsidized loan, 3rd scholarship , kids savings acct and part of grad money. On a college yourtube video a girl mentioned a site called rate your professor or rate my professor and I was able to find 3 of dd's professors on there students said 2 don't require books and one did. The other 3 classes don't list the name of her professors.

First aid kits can be reimbursed if you have medical flex acct.
My son looked at rate my professor. One said "so many papers!" Lol!

My son said he looks cool. HE sent him an email. We will see what's happens.

My son looked at rate my professor. One said "so many papers!" Lol!

My son said he looks cool. HE sent him an email. We will see what's happens.
I hope his room mate is cool and easy to going :)

@ of my DD's female professors were rate good, caring, made glass fun except one had boring lectures. The male English professor was rated tough grader, a lot of reading, don't miss class so he might be the toughest class so far.

Last night we used some kohls cash and bought a blanket and towels. Still looking for navy blue deep pocket sheets

tonight we went to Walmart to get some household stuff and we got DD a first aid kit. We also went to Tuesday Morning and Jc penny no luck on the sheets

Last edited:
I just ordered 2 bath towels, 2 hand towels, a down alternative mattress topper, and 2 sheet sets for $60 shipped at J.C. Penney. Code is SHOP77.

So happy to have found this thread, as my DD starts college in a month. We've already done a bunch of shopping, but am constantly looking for deals. Target Cartwheel has been a life saver. My daughter will only be two hours away, so I should be able to visit with supplies, but am starting to stockpile items for care packages. I got great deals on towels at Target with Cartwheel, and also using the coupons at Bed, Bath and Beyond. We are renting a fridge/microwave combo, instead of buying one. My daughter is also in communication with her roommate, and they are splitting the things that they can share.. full length mirror, drying rack, rug, trashcan, Keurig, etc..

A lot of professors like for papers to be submitted online so they can run them through Turn it In to check for plagiarism. My parents gave me a Sam's Club card and I would go there a few times during the school year with my friends to stock up on school supplies, snacks, toilet paper, etc. We'd buy in bulk and split up the big packages amongst ourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!