2017 Disney Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Bumbershoot-just wanted to say we did an Alaskan cruise in September out of Seattle and stayed around the corner from where your profile picture was. We walked by there quite a few times. I think we were at the Maxwell. We also happened to be there during the bumbershoot festival! We are from the east coast and have a festival called Firefly in our town which must be done by the same group because all of their posters/ pamphlets looked identical to ours. Just thought it was funny and been meaning to mention it. (We loved Seattle!)

I keep meaning to share this experience if just to talk it out because it was both baffling and, if I'm being honest, offensive.

There was this couple walking behind me when we'd finally gotten past that narrow section after MK (I think it was right around that gas station?) that I unfortunately couldn't help hearing their conversation. Now, I'll be the first to tell someone don't judge a person's fitness level by their body type. But this couple? They were loudly discussing the more slender people who were walking and were not finished with the half yet.

It would have been fine if they stopped there. I mean cool, they've gotten a firsthand look that you really can't judge someone by how they physically appear what they're capable of. But they didn't.

They went on to say how all the slender participants at that section and time must be untrained. That they went into this relying on their lower body fat percentage. Saying how they'd rather finish faster. Although they didn't say it, I found it insulting to also larger runners who were going at a slower pace too. It came across (to me at least) as if they saw the larger runners as trained, but unable to do any better because of their size which is just total and utter hogwash. I've seen incredible runners with speed and endurance of all sizes. What a person can do depends on that individual.

It took everything in me to not point out how rude they were being assuming what every individual was going through. This couple didn't account for character stops. Didn't account for injuries. Didn't account for bodies unused to the weather. Didn't account for people who care about finishing, not about time. People who were doing challenges and were taking it easy. Or any other number of reasons that didn't include insisting that no training had gone in.

It bothered me because to me, the training is the hard part. My training is why I finished with no injury despite everything working against me. It bothered me because looking around, I didn't know everyone's story, but I knew no one deserved to be told they had slacked or be insulted for how they chose to race.

In hindsight, I may now have turned around to tell them to focus on themselves and not loudly discuss other runners. But I feel better sharing that experience and I'm glad I didn't ruin my day by possibly getting in an argument. It's been bothering more and more as I reflect on race weekend, though. I personally feel that unless someone's racing style is a hindrance to you (such as sudden stoppers, speed demons weaving in and out without warning, etc), there's no reason to care what others are doing.

I personally feel that unless someone's racing style is a hindrance to you (such as sudden stoppers, speed demons weaving in and out without warning, etc), there's no reason to care what others are doing.
Completely agree with this. People are so lame!! :sad2:

I'm one that went into the weekend still recovering from an injury and it took me foooorever to finish the race, and I am pretty freaking proud of my effort. ::yes::

I personally feel that unless someone's racing style is a hindrance to you (such as sudden stoppers, speed demons weaving in and out without warning, etc), there's no reason to care what others are doing.

I honestly do not understand peoples negativity towards others during races and events like this. I am not fast, I am not slow, I have my own pace. I trained well and was prepared but of course I could have done more or fueled better or took it easy at the parks instead of being a park commando, but that is my business and mine alone to deal with. Like you said, if it does not impact you and your race then why waste your brain power on that! When I go to races I see the people around me as inspirational. I see the faster runners and think about how I hope to get faster one day and how hard they must have worked to get there. I see slower runners and think how awesome it is that they are out doing it, that this might be a one and done for them or a bucket list thing and they are succeeding or they are just enjoying the race with no time worries. I look around and enjoy the smiles, the cool outfits, the shoes, how the heck they got their hair to stay that awesome during a race, and how hard people are working for a common goal... to finish, and that is wonderful! I never once have thought "why are you out here, you don't look like a runner"? or "why aren't you faster, you actually look like a runner"? Be happy for people, you don't know their story or history or reasons for being out there. All you know is they are out there doing it, and that is reason enough for me to cheer people, not belittle them. *end rant*

I keep meaning to share this experience if just to talk it out because it was both baffling and, if I'm being honest, offensive.

There was this couple walking behind me when we'd finally gotten past that narrow section after MK (I think it was right around that gas station?) that I unfortunately couldn't help hearing their conversation. Now, I'll be the first to tell someone don't judge a person's fitness level by their body type. But this couple? They were loudly discussing the more slender people who were walking and were not finished with the half yet.

It would have been fine if they stopped there. I mean cool, they've gotten a firsthand look that you really can't judge someone by how they physically appear what they're capable of. But they didn't.

They went on to say how all the slender participants at that section and time must be untrained. That they went into this relying on their lower body fat percentage. Saying how they'd rather finish faster. Although they didn't say it, I found it insulting to also larger runners who were going at a slower pace too. It came across (to me at least) as if they saw the larger runners as trained, but unable to do any better because of their size which is just total and utter hogwash. I've seen incredible runners with speed and endurance of all sizes. What a person can do depends on that individual.

It took everything in me to not point out how rude they were being assuming what every individual was going through. This couple didn't account for character stops. Didn't account for injuries. Didn't account for bodies unused to the weather. Didn't account for people who care about finishing, not about time. People who were doing challenges and were taking it easy. Or any other number of reasons that didn't include insisting that no training had gone in.

It bothered me because to me, the training is the hard part. My training is why I finished with no injury despite everything working against me. It bothered me because looking around, I didn't know everyone's story, but I knew no one deserved to be told they had slacked or be insulted for how they chose to race.

In hindsight, I may now have turned around to tell them to focus on themselves and not loudly discuss other runners. But I feel better sharing that experience and I'm glad I didn't ruin my day by possibly getting in an argument. It's been bothering more and more as I reflect on race weekend, though. I personally feel that unless someone's racing style is a hindrance to you (such as sudden stoppers, speed demons weaving in and out without warning, etc), there's no reason to care what others are doing.
My hat is off to you! Can't say as I would have remained quiet like yourself.

I'm sorry you had to listen to that- it's sad how unkind some people can be.

I didn't talk to too many people on the course. I do remember talking with a very nice woman right after Magic Kingdom about run/walk/run and she was excited that her pace for the half (run/walk) was better than her 10K (all running) the day before. So I was excited for her!

Seriously, like - how much can you really be enjoying the event if all you are focusing on is what you perceive as bad stuff? Get a life!

I mean, come on, we all know exercise gives you endorphins, and endorphins make you happy, and happy people just aren't that mean to others at a runDisney event! Alright, so we all know that is not totally true but thankfully it is for the most part, at least from what I have seen. Some people just need a Snickers I guess. Oh well, it is their race to do with what they want, they just might want to do it internally next time and remember they are in a public setting that people can hear them!

This would have bothered me a lot. You don't know someone's situation so why is it ok for you to judge from afar? Doesn't matter how you finished the race, the only thing that matters is that you finished and never gave up. I am slender and have always been and people assume that that means I can run fast. Uh, no. The longest I have been able to run non-stop during a half marathon is 7 miles. I have absolutely no shame in that. I hope that someday I will be able to run an entire half marathon, but I'm not considering those races a failure because I couldn't run the entire thing. I was well trained, and Princess was the first half I've finished without any injuries. Some people are just naturally built for that and it comes easier to them, especially the more they are trained. I hate hearing this stories after such an amazing experience at these runDisney races, I'm sorry you had to hear that! I was talking to two other women last month about running and one was talking about running about an 8:30 pace and I was talking about a 9:30 pace. All of a sudden, this other girl looks dumbfounded at us and says WOW, you guys are slow! I lost 50 lbs last year and ran 1.5 miles in 13 minutes yesterday! :mad: I really wanted to let her know that she was being rude, but I didn't feel like starting an argument and making my husband look bad at work :sad2: My neighbor has told me that I should stop running and start doing Crossfit because it is better for me and running isn't really doing anything. I think the worst interaction I've had was right before the Tink half last year when my Aunt looks at me and says I thought runners were supposed to be skinny. I looked at her at said I strength train as well (which I do). There are rude people everywhere and I have learned that no matter who it is, I will always encourage others to believe in themselves and do what they want to do.

My login wasn't working last week! :(

I wanted to jump in here and say I had a blast at the half marathon! First half for me, only did a few local 5Ks last year, first year ever. Signed up for half forever ago, sort of had life happen and forgot about it. Decided I may not do the half, then changed my mind. Goal was to finish. I am proud to say I finished the half, while 4 months pregnant, and am proud of my medal. I am one of those people who did not wear my bib on the front, I wore it on my back as I don't like anything covering my belly or front side as I'm very sensitive lately. So not everyone wearing it on their back is a bandit!

During the entire event, I was so proud of each and every single person I saw, whether they were running, walking, even vomiting on the side. Just amazing seeing so many people working their hardest and enjoying life! Even if someone didn't finish the race, you started and I'm pretty sure you tried your hardest! Lately I've been trying to accomplish goals to show my 5 yr old daughter you can do anything if you work hard. (Graduated with Masters in Nursing past year, my 5Ks, this, etc).

Not sure if or when I'll do another half, but I had a blast!

I was talking to two other women last month about running and one was talking about running about an 8:30 pace and I was talking about a 9:30 pace. All of a sudden, this other girl looks dumbfounded at us and says WOW, you guys are slow! I lost 50 lbs last year and ran 1.5 miles in 13 minutes yesterday! :mad: I really wanted to let her know that she was being rude, but I didn't feel like starting an argument and making my husband look bad at work :sad2:

And I read that and think, wow! I hope someday I can run a 9:30 pace! I was down to about a 10:30 - 10:45 before I was plagued with some IT band injuries and just plain took some time off so hopefully I can get back there again. I think a 9:30 pace is awesome and something to be very proud of. Again, what's it to her that you run a slower pace than she does, it certainly doesn't warrant a comment like that! Thankfully I am surrounded by people that either don't run but are very supportive, or do run but are not out to be in competition with me on who has the best pace time. You keep doing you, do what you want, go your own pace and try and remember that us "complete strangers" on this board have your back!

There are rude people everywhere and I have learned that no matter who it is, I will always encourage others to believe in themselves and do what they want to do.

This 100%

Stay strong! Save the money for next year! Put on everything you bought this year when you get the urge. :)

So did you already pre-register or are you waiting?

I registered at the expo. I've been planning do do the 2018 challenge for 2 years, and I didn't want to deal with the stress of trying to get in.

I would have talked to them, respectively.

But I like talking to all the folks around me .... especially if they're happy!

But sometimes the negative folks just need that 'the sky isn't falling' pep talk!

Brian

I usually stick to the happy people myself. Or the people who look like a little encouragement might be welcome (I've helped fallen, but uninjured from said fall runners by getting them up and going again and staying with them for a little bit to be sure they're truly uninjured).

I wasn't sure I could stay polite if I said anything. I'm not a morning person and I was still nursing a lingering cough from having been very ill in early February. My patience was minimal, lol!

I wish you or someone like you would have been there to hear it and say something.

Sounds like the couple was ignorant. It's unfortunate that their conversation was loud enough to intrude on and offend other runners. Since they seem to have prided themselves on their own training (at least well enough to criticize the supposed lack of training in others) I wonder if this was their first half marathon? If you've never participated in a half marathon you are likely to have stereotypes in your head of what a runner is supposed to look like that won't be dis-proven until you go to a race and see for yourself that the speed of a participant is not correlated with their weight. The implication that larger runners in their vicinity were merely incapable of moving any faster is likewise a pernicious stereotype that incorrectly elides weight with health or ability. Certainly sounds like it's their first Disney race- since Disney races tend to have a high percentage of first timers.

While these are all things you could have educated them on (in addition to different race strategy for Challenge participants, the fact that some of these runners participate in several races a year, so their slower pace may be because they are treating this race as a "fun run" rather than an attempt to PR), the middle of the race course would hardly have been the appropriate place to do it, so I think ignoring them was the right call. If they had been deliberately abusing runners- like they were shouting insults or something, that would have been a time to speak up. But since their race strategy wasn't being a hindrance to you- more of an annoyance- keeping on keeping on sounds like the best option. Hopefully their race experience, and seeing the bodies of all shapes and sizes who finished faster than they did, will have educated them on how little their stereotypes reflect reality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter