2017 Gay Days @ the Walt Disney World Resort

Oh I'm definitely looking forward to it too! My boyfriend not so much but since he's a Disney employee he pays far too much attention to the negative insider info from the folks that work there. I've been trying to refrain from finding out any information about it because I LOVE surprises...yet sadly and very seldomly surprised. Trying to do it on the Thursday Gay days too. I've heard it's supposed to be even better at night so might try to book FP+ for evening. Just waiting for the 60 day window to open. Getting close though...

Solomon

Yes we heard night would be better as well so we planned one day for early FP and one for late ones and Rivers of Light. Have you seen it yet Solomon? We enjoyed the Jungle Book show but the projections were poor and other aspects were very weak. We could see the potential though. It still was enjoyable. The theater is great.

Booked reservations for the new ROL show over at AK on Thursday evening (might end up cancelling due to the World of Avatar being open / we would rather have time to explore World of Avatar @ night vs watching ROL show + the fact they expect you to be there at least 2hours prior to showtime for meal) We also made reservations for the Fireworks Dessert Party (Plaza Garden Viewing) on Saturday evening...anyone else planning on attending either?

Hmm...nobody has mentioned, yet, about the opening of Pandora, The World of Avatar, at Animal Kingdom on May 27th! We are very excited about that, and we are planning to be there on gay day, Thursday, June 1st!

We are most definitely excited about the opening of Pandora: World of Avatar. The announcement of it's opening dates really put a smile on my face. Remember when Frozen Ever After opened shortly after 2016 Gay Days? Our initial plan is to lock-in a FastPass+ for AVATAR Flight of Passage for Thursday June 1st and also hit the park at rope drop that same day to experience the Na'vi River Journey with minimal wait. I'm hoping to get a dinner reservation at Satu’li Canteen. Can't wait until booking windows open-up!

Booked reservations for the new ROL show over at AK on Thursday evening (might end up cancelling due to the World of Avatar being open / we would rather have time to explore World of Avatar @ night vs watching ROL show + the fact they expect you to be there at least 2hours prior to showtime for meal) We also made reservations for the Fireworks Dessert Party (Plaza Garden Viewing) on Saturday evening...anyone else planning on attending either?
I would book FP at Avatar for the morning and then once you use all 3, try for Rivers at night. We plan to do DAK on Thursday both at Rope Drop.....and then after an afternoon break....come back for Dinner and night time and Rivers.

So I have never been to Gay Days at Disney. I just joined Disney Vacation Club and my friend Jen is a big Disney fan. We're debating going this year if not next, but i'm curious what it is like? Is it just like the park any other time but just a lot more crowded? I know its not a Disney event so what types of events are going on?

Yes we heard night would be better as well so we planned one day for early FP and one for late ones and Rivers of Light. Have you seen it yet Solomon? We enjoyed the Jungle Book show but the projections were poor and other aspects were very weak. We could see the potential though. It still was enjoyable. The theater is great.

I'm looking forward to ROL too. When we were there last year the had Jungle Book and I think I might be amongst the few that absolutely loved it. I thought the combination of jazz and traditional Indian music was some of the most clever mashsup I've heard. It worked so well and I'm a sucked for Bollywood dance. It helped put the story in a cultural context that wasn't present (for me) before. I didn't pay much attention to the projections but do remember they were fairly hard to see. I was more focused on the amazing dancers...and they were everywhere. I would have killed to dance in that show. ROL will likely not live up to the hype. best to go in with low expectations and be pleasantly surprised.

Solomon

Last edited:
We are most definitely excited about the opening of Pandora: World of Avatar. The announcement of it's opening dates really put a smile on my face. Remember when Frozen Ever After opened shortly after 2016 Gay Days? Our initial plan is to lock-in a FastPass+ for AVATAR Flight of Passage for Thursday June 1st and also hit the park at rope drop that same day to experience the Na'vi River Journey with minimal wait. I'm hoping to get a dinner reservation at Satu’li Canteen. Can't wait until booking windows open-up!

The announcement of Pandora's date felt like a weight lifted off of my shoulders. I just knew what happened last year with FEA would happen with Pandora. I'm glad that I was wrong. I'm watching my days on the My Disney App and plan to lock in in FP+ for Pandora on Thursday also. I just hope that 60 days out is okay and that they're not all taken. I know how quickly things go when its a new experience. Doing the River Journey at rope drop is a really good idea. I might steal that plan from you. :P

Solomon

So I have never been to Gay Days at Disney. I just joined Disney Vacation Club and my friend Jen is a big Disney fan. We're debating going this year if not next, but i'm curious what it is like? Is it just like the park any other time but just a lot more crowded? I know its not a Disney event so what types of events are going on?

Welcome to Disney Vacation Club! Which resort did you buy into? Gay Days at Walt Disney World is a lot like any other day at the parks except on specific days, you'll notice a lot of guys and gals wearing red. As far as events, check out the website below. Oh...and by the way, if you go, join us Wednesday evening for the monorail crawl (details on the second page of this thread).

http://www.onemagicalweekend.com/

Gay Days is not just Disney, but incorporates a variety of experiences/events outside of Mouseland. For example, there are several parties that go on at various hotels (off property) including the "host hotel" (which I think this year is the Double Tree) as well as a day/night at Universal. Also, you should check out the website "One Magical Weekend" to get more information about the Gay Days events. But for those who enjoy mostly the Disney experience for Gay Days (which we do), the "red shirts" go to a different Park each of the 4 Disney Gay Days (Thursday is DAK; Friday is Studios; Saturday is MK; Sunday is Epcot). We enjoy spending our Gay Days mostly at Disney, but we do sprinkle in a bit of partying too. We enjoy the Monorail Crawl on Wednesday night; Riptide on Friday night; and then a few adult beverages as we Drink Around the World Sunday night. We visit Orlando somewhat regularly and quite honestly, the Gay Days trip is definitely our favorite.You must give it a try.

Are we certain its going to be possible to get a FP+ for the Pandora rides? Any official word? I just got my park tickets and am waiting for the 60 day window to start booking FP+'s but am worried that they won't allow for them as it will only be a few days into its opening.

Solomon

Events take place all over the Orlando area during gay days. I believe that there are currently four main groups involved. Gay Days, Inc. has its host hotel at The Doubletree at Seaworld. The B Resort is the host hotel for One Magical Weekend. A bears event (I think it is called Tidal Wave) is usually centered at the Holiday Inn at WDW. Not sure, but I think the Girls In Wonderland events are at the Sheraton. We usually stay at a nice hotel for about half price, right across the street from The Doubletree at Seaworld. This year, I think we will probably do two days at WDW, AK on Thursday and Epcot on Sunday. Plus, we are planning to attend Riptide for the first time ever, on Friday night at Typhoon Lagoon. The pool parties and expo at The Doubletree are a lot of fun. And, we enjoy going to Parliament House for their parties/concerts. They haven't announced their line-up for this year, yet. There may not be enough time for us to do it this year, but Hamburger Mary's in downtown Orlando is a lot of fun and always puts on an excellent drag show. Perhaps the biggest problem with gay days is that there are so many events and activities going on that there is simply no way to attend all of them. And, we highly recommend Dano's monorail crawl on Wednesday night! That is one of the "must do" events on our list!

Satu’li Canteen is a QS restaurant. I tried to make reservations but it is not loaded yet. Here is the link https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/map/#/id=satuli-canteen/ when it opens hopefully we will catch it before it books up. It sounds like there are a lot of people wanting to book it. I will let you know if I hear of it opening. If you see it open can you please text me. Thanks, I am so excited for this year.

YOU should definately come! This is my first gay days, and a group of 6 friends from the Boston area are coming down for it, nice mix of great people--we are all looking forward to a great time.

And I'm really excited for Dan's Monorail Crawl!

Satu’li Canteen is a QS restaurant. I tried to make reservations but it is not loaded yet. Here is the link https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/map/#/id=satuli-canteen/ when it opens hopefully we will catch it before it books up. It sounds like there are a lot of people wanting to book it. I will let you know if I hear of it opening. If you see it open can you please text me. Thanks, I am so excited for this year.

Excited too Bill! Just 81 days until I check-in.

Are we certain its going to be possible to get a FP+ for the Pandora rides? Any official word? I just got my park tickets and am waiting for the 60 day window to start booking FP+'s but am worried that they won't allow for them as it will only be a few days into its opening.

Solomon
latest news is no news....sorry....but presumably you will be able to get FP.....the question is when.....

I think if you are staying on a Disney property, you can book FP at 60 days out. There's probably information on wdwinfo.com.

It will be eventually but sometimes Disney does odd things when a new attraction or restaurant opens to allow them to better manage capacity. My guess is this will have a soft opening. I also anticipate A.K. moving to a tiered FP+ system like EPCOT and H.S.

This is my Husbands and I 1st year at gaydays! staying at Coronado from 29th-June 4th and Port Orleans June 4th to 10th. Monorail Crawl sounds so cool. Worried about how DIS 20th anniversary is going to cut into the gaydays activities. Looking to make new friends and Riptide tickets already purchased.

Last edited:
This is my Husbands and I year at gaydays! staying at Coronado from 29th-June 4th and Port Orleans June 4th to 10th. Monorail Crawl sounds so cool. Worried about how DIS 20th anniversary is going to cut into the gaydays activities. Looking to make new friends and Riptide tickets already purchased.

I know you and your husband will have a magical vacation. I hope you can join us at the monorail crawl as it's such a great way to meet new friends. I've never stayed at either resort you've got reserved though I have been in the pool at Port Orleans Riverside. From what I remember, it was just like being in a Mark Twain book. Riptide is a blast as well. I too wonder what the DIS has planned and I'm thinking their event(s) will coincide well with any gay days events that are taking place. I'd actually like to meet some of the team to say hi and congratulate them on reaching their platinum (modern times) anniversary.

YOU should definately come! This is my first gay days, and a group of 6 friends from the Boston area are coming down for it, nice mix of great people--we are all looking forward to a great time.

And I'm really excited for Dan's Monorail Crawl!
You guys have made some great decisions!
#1 Great Decision: Coming to gay days!
#2 Great Decision: Participating in the Wednesday night monorail crawl!
Come ready for a fabulous time! I should caution you, though. Gay Days is so much fun that once you attend for the first time, you may find yourself coming back again year after year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter