2017 Holiday Events Start 11/18 This Year

Interested to see how the timing of everything works out. I will be there on December 16th park to park and obviously can’t do everything but would like to see the parade and the projection show and maybe one of the singing performances.

Parade and projection show would be very doable. I would recommend not doing HE unless you have EP. It was an hour wait around that time last night.

We were going to do the parade and projection show last night but the kids called an audible and decided they preferred to go to Diagon Alley and Camp Jurassic before the castle show. The projections were beautiful. I’m not sure when Elsa joined Potterverse, but no matter. :earboy2: We skipped the first showing where people were camped out on the bridge for an hour before the show (worried me but it was totally unnecessary). We made our way over for the second show which was a huge crowd of people. The TMs had their hands full directing people leaving and arriving. We were near the stage at the entrance to the castle courtyard area but far enough back that there were light posts, etc, marring the view. We waited as the crowd cleared out and moved into the courtyard and watched a second time right near the entrance to FotH. It was neat to see it that close up but it was a little too close for optimum. The best place is probably even with the stage and in front of all the light posts.

After watching the second show we went on FotH and then got out of there but it was much much less crowded for the ~7 pm show. The area really cleared out so I’d recommend going later.

We went to see if 3 Broomsticks was insane and to our surprise it wasn’t. We stayed, had a meal and headed out. I didn’t know that the shops stayed open in Hogsmead well after closing. We were able to get some souvenirs in stores that had people in them but were not at all crowded. The kids were able to do spells with no one around. And they were still showing the castle show at 8:30. I don’t know if they changed park closing time (it was supposed to be 8) or what but it was really nice.

Parade and projection show would be very doable. I would recommend not doing HE unless you have EP. It was an hour wait around that time last night.

We were going to do the parade and projection show last night but the kids called an audible and decided they preferred to go to Diagon Alley and Camp Jurassic before the castle show. The projections were beautiful. I’m not sure when Elsa joined Potterverse, but no matter. :earboy2: We skipped the first showing where people were camped out on the bridge for an hour before the show (worried me but it was totally unnecessary). We made our way over for the second show which was a huge crowd of people. The TMs had their hands full directing people leaving and arriving. We were near the stage at the entrance to the castle courtyard area but far enough back that there were light posts, etc, marring the view. We waited as the crowd cleared out and moved into the courtyard and watched a second time right near the entrance to FotH. It was neat to see it that close up but it was a little too close for optimum. The best place is probably even with the stage and in front of all the light posts.

After watching the second show we went on FotH and then got out of there but it was much much less crowded for the ~7 pm show. The area really cleared out so I’d recommend going later.

We went to see if 3 Broomsticks was insane and to our surprise it wasn’t. We stayed, had a meal and headed out. I didn’t know that the shops stayed open in Hogsmead well after closing. We were able to get some souvenirs in stores that had people in them but were not at all crowded. The kids were able to do spells with no one around. And they were still showing the castle show at 8:30. I don’t know if they changed park closing time (it was supposed to be 8) or what but it was really nice.
Cool that’s what I was thinking watching parade and then walking to IOA Hogsmeade.

Good to hear the parade and projection show are possible. I'll be going on a 7pm close day so I'm a bit nervous about the timing to do both. I'll be with people for whom it's their only chance that day so I really, really want to get to both. (We will have express for most rides that day but not for Hogwarts Express, so we will plan on going in the main entrance). I was there yesterday with the idea to just see the projection show but it was too crowded waiting for the first show so we bailed. I'll try on a less crowded day.

e were going to do the parade and projection show last night but the kids called an audible and decided they preferred to go to Diagon Alley and Camp Jurassic before the castle show. The projections were beautiful. I’m not sure when Elsa joined Potterverse, but no matter. :earboy2: We skipped the first showing where people were camped out on the bridge for an hour before the show (worried me but it was totally unnecessary). We made our way over for the second show which was a huge crowd of people. The TMs had their hands full directing people leaving and arriving. We were near the stage at the entrance to the castle courtyard area but far enough back that there were light posts, etc, marring the view. We waited as the crowd cleared out and moved into the courtyard and watched a second time right near the entrance to FotH. It was neat to see it that close up but it was a little too close for optimum. The best place is probably even with the stage and in front of all the light posts.

Is there a map available that shows the area you're referring to? I've never been and our trip is next week!
Thanks!

Is there a map available that shows the area you're referring to? I've never been and our trip is next week!
Thanks!

If you look on the Universal App for Frog Choir it will show you a map where that is located. That’s the stage. Stay a little to the left of it as you’re looking up toward the castle and that should be a pretty good view of all sides.

Mini report:
USF Holiday Parade. Arrived at 4:30pm at the spot on the Mummy side right by the walkway (there's a rail there)by thee Macy's storefront and there were people already there, still had a great spot right next to the crosswalk. The parade is 100 times better than years past but not better that Disney's Christmas parade, still very beautiful, great floats, performers and the Santa float was gorgeous. The lighting of the tree was very magical
IOA Harry Potter Projection: we arrived at Hogsmead around 7:30pm and were told by the TM that the show was going off every 5 minutes after the last one ended. Sure enough we say a projection at 7:40pm, then around 7:55pm and the last one was done around 8:10pm no additional ones after that one, not sure if the timing will change depending on crowd levels.
Absolutely gorgeous, next to the stage is really the best spot as you also see the additional twinkling lights all around you.

Mini report:
USF Holiday Parade. Arrived at 4:30pm at the spot on the Mummy side right by the walkway (there's a rail there)by thee Macy's storefront and there were people already there, still had a great spot right next to the crosswalk. The parade is 100 times better than years past but not better that Disney's Christmas parade, still very beautiful, great floats, performers and the Santa float was gorgeous. The lighting of the tree was very magical
IOA Harry Potter Projection: we arrived at Hogsmead around 7:30pm and were told by the TM that the show was going off every 5 minutes after the last one ended. Sure enough we say a projection at 7:40pm, then around 7:55pm and the last one was done around 8:10pm no additional ones after that one, not sure if the timing will change depending on crowd levels.
Absolutely gorgeous, next to the stage is really the best spot as you also see the additional twinkling lights all around you.

Where would be a good spot to catch the parade for someone who isn't interested enough in parades to stake out a spot 30-60 mins in advance?

We wouldn't mind seeing it, but have no interest in investing an extra hour or fighting for a spot. We'll be there Dec. 10th-19th so we will have lots of opportunity.

Where would be a good spot to catch the parade for someone who isn't interested enough in parades to stake out a spot 30-60 mins in advance?

We wouldn't mind seeing it, but have no interest in investing an extra hour or fighting for a spot. We'll be there Dec. 10th-19th so we will have lots of opportunity.

Anywhere along the New York Street or Hollywood Street in that case, there are plenty of side places along there enough for later comers.

We were just down the street in front of the Palace arcade marquee and did scope a spot right on the curb 30 mins before start but the space behind us didn’t fill in until right before the parade started. We stayed sitting so behind us was a good spot. Not everyone stayed sitting though.

Edited to add that we could not see Santa lighting the tree from there. If that is important to you, you’ll need to be closer to the tree. We did have the confetti and snow blown down on us though.

anyone volunteer for the balloon handling before? We're thinking of doing this - just wondering if anyone did and enjoyed it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts