2017 TEA Theme Park Attendance report

Or do they go the other way and not see them as a bit money maker and not invest in them? I mean, they seem to keep making it harder and harder for onsite guests to just get to the Water Parks

They also changed the tickets last year so you had to get hoppers to get water parks.

Heading over next year for my retirement and 60th birthday with all our family...can not wait to see pandora, my be one of the few who actually enjoys the movie.
Will be missing the opening of star wars but that may not be a bad thing with expected crowds!

Hollywood Studios numbers seem approach higher than the park really has the capacity for, so they may be a bit inflated. Volcano Bay was at capacity most of the summer, and for opening at the end of May last year seems to be right up there with the Disney ones, I wouldn't be surprised to see it pass one of them this year.

No one has mentioned how this is good for Disney but bad for visitors. I really think that attendance going up in parks that don't have much new to offer yet is bad news. I hate big crowds though.

Remember River Country???

Sure and Discovery Island.

"On April 11, 2002, the Orlando Sentinel reported, “Walt Disney World’s first water park, River Country, has closed and may not reopen.” The report concluded with this line: “Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if ‘there’s enough guest demand.’”

River Country never reopened.

http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry.html

Sure and Discovery Island.

"On April 11, 2002, the Orlando Sentinel reported, “Walt Disney World’s first water park, River Country, has closed and may not reopen.” The report concluded with this line: “Disney World spokesman Bill Warren said that River Country could be reopened if ‘there’s enough guest demand.’”

River Country never reopened.

http://www.yesterland.com/rivercountry.html

Exactly... I don't think it's unfeasible for Disney to just give up on the water parks, if they're going to continue dropping significantly in attendance (a 7% drop is nothing to sneeze at) year after year. They may eventually decide that, like River Country, the demand just isn't there, and why keep pouring the money for maintenance etc... into it. From reports here and there, they're certainly not receiving much TLC... I hope not. If we ever return I would love to take the kids to Blizzard Beach, they would love it.

Exactly... I don't think it's unfeasible for Disney to just give up on the water parks, if they're going to continue dropping significantly in attendance (a 7% drop is nothing to sneeze at) year after year. They may eventually decide that, like River Country, the demand just isn't there, and why keep pouring the money for maintenance etc... into it. I realize the death and water issues contributed to the demise of River Country, but, still... From reports here and there, they're certainly not receiving much TLC... I hope not. If we ever return I would love to take the kids to Blizzard Beach, they would love it.

Yep. Or do they inject serious capital into it and try and stay competitive? I think it's pretty evident that the focus is clearly in the theme parks until the 50th. Now whether they can wait until then to determine if reinvigorating their water parks makes sense is another question.

We don't know official numbers so they may be even closer than this. This is the best estimate we have. Universal surely has increased in marketshare over the past few years.
Yes, but for whatever reason, haters gonna hate...

No one has mentioned how this is good for Disney but bad for visitors. I really think that attendance going up in parks that don't have much new to offer yet is bad news. I hate big crowds though.

Well, they are adding a ton of new stuff over the next few years at WDW and Universal acquired all that new land and it can't be just for more hotels so I think visitors will be getting a lot of new experiences

i agree about the crowds - it's such an odd position that the biggest complaint people have often is the level of crowds, but it seems like nothing Disney does lowers the crowds. Best thing is to keep adding capacity in more attractions and stuff

Well, they are adding a ton of new stuff over the next few years at WDW and Universal acquired all that new land and it can't be just for more hotels so I think visitors will be getting a lot of new experiences

And consider this....Universal Hollywood is getting a Jurassic World overlay on their river journey; no announcement made for Universal Orlando. Could this be setting up a much bigger JP in the new land? I am not trying to steer this part of the thread towards a more US Orlando discussion, but making an observation.

And consider this....Universal Hollywood is getting a Jurassic World overlay on their river journey; no announcement made for Universal Orlando. Could this be setting up a much bigger JP in the new land? I am not trying to steer this part of the thread towards a more US Orlando discussion, but making an observation.

I definitely think it is possible - very intrigued on what they do with the new park ... do they have the same properties there that they have in the other parks - so have new Jurassic Park and Harry Potter attractions, etc. but not get rid of any of the old ones ...

... or do they like move Jurassic Park/World there and get rid of the existing one in the existing park

A new amazingly themed land with the hottest new attraction in Orlando (probably the world) sent attendance up 15%. How is that bad news for visitors?

There is no way Disney had no clue attendance/interest was rising until this report. My guess is they saw how much new Lands and attractions were renewing interest, and decided to keep pushing and adding to a lot of expansion. This report simply confirms it. The other parks benefitted from Pandora as well IMO. Could have easily scaled many things back if it wasn't working. And as mentioned US is helping, and doing the same thing.

Will crowds be heavier? Heck yea but the alternative is fewer new attractions.

Put it this way. If AK attendance was down 15% instead or even flat, some brakes would be tapped IMO. Would that really be good news for visitors?

DHS being even slightly down is good news IMO, that will push them hard for that park-which they are.

Exactly... I don't think it's unfeasible for Disney to just give up on the water parks, if they're going to continue dropping significantly in attendance (a 7% drop is nothing to sneeze at) year after year. They may eventually decide that, like River Country, the demand just isn't there, and why keep pouring the money for maintenance etc... into it. From reports here and there, they're certainly not receiving much TLC... I hope not. If we ever return I would love to take the kids to Blizzard Beach, they would love it.

I don't agree. Typhoon Lagoon opened Miss Adventure Falls just last year - only its second brand new ride in its 29 year history. The last brand new ride there was Crush and Gusher in 2005. The Runoff Rapids just went through a long refurbishment at Blizzard Beach. They are adding those H20 Glow Nights to Typhoon this summer.

Last edited:
A new amazingly themed land with the hottest new attraction in Orlando (probably the world) sent attendance up 15%. How is that bad news for visitors?

There is no way Disney had no clue attendance/interest was rising until this report. My guess is they saw how much new Lands and attractions were renewing interest, and decided to keep pushing and adding to a lot of expansion. This report simply confirms it. The other parks benefitted from Pandora as well IMO. Could have easily scaled many things back if it wasn't working. And as mentioned US is helping, and doing the same thing.

Will crowds be heavier? Heck yea but the alternative is fewer new attractions.

Put it this way. If AK attendance was down 15% instead or even flat, some brakes would be tapped IMO. Would that really be good news for visitors?

DHS being even slightly down is good news IMO, that will push them hard for that park-which they are.
If the crowds continue to grow i doubt that a few new rides will do much to absorb the mobs. The new land includes two new attractions which are still very difficult to experience. Is that really a positive? There was a time when it was possible to ride even brand new attractions without so much of a hassle.

I'm not saying that Disney is responsible for more people coming. However they are not meeting demand and haven't for a while now. That could certainly change but doesn't excuse the lack of attention up to this point.

If the crowds continue to grow i doubt that a few new rides will do much to absorb the mobs. The new land includes two new attractions which are still very difficult to experience. Is that really a positive? There was a time when it was possible to ride even brand new attractions without so much of a hassle.

I'm not saying that Disney is responsible for more people coming. However they are not meeting demand and haven't for a while now. That could certainly change but doesn't excuse the lack of attention up to this point.

Well I get what you are saying, but its kind of either or IMO.

1) Increase attendance further by adding

Pandora and attractions, ROL, TOL, Toy Story Land and attractions, Mickey Rail, Star Wars Land and attractions, Star Wars Fireworks, Star Wars shows, Star Wars Hotel Experience, Tron, HEA, New Night Parade, New MK Hotel, Skippers, Guardians Coaster, Ratatouille, Mary Poppins, New Illuminations, Space Restaurant, Gondola, New Monorails, Coronado Tower, Riviera, and Disney Springs.

2) Keep attendance down/flat/slowly increasing.

I pick #1

I definitely agree they went a long time without addressing this - and they are just trying to play catchup now

I do think what they are adding will help a lot ... I mean, yes, Universe of Energy could handle a lot of guests, but it was never operating at max capacity (or, really, any capacity) so the new Guardian's Ride will take in a lot more guests than what the previous ride did and take them away from other attractions. The flip side it will bring even more crowds so that is why they have to continue to build more

In general it's a positive trend for the whole industry.
We see Disney expanding.

I predict we will find the limits of capacity on DHS after star wars opens, and it won't be just during Christmas week.

I think we are starting to see the fruits of my magic system. Some of that is good, and some of it is perceived as bad. I think it's starting to help disney run a bit leaner.

Just wait until Super Nintendo Land opens at Universal. It's going to be a game changer, even more than Harry Potter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter