2017 Tink Bib Thief Article

I don't think Disney really cares about people running under other bibs. They took action in the case today because this woman has actually STOLEN other's bibs.

I know a guy who runs the majority of Disney races. He's kind of known to a lot of Disney runners--the announcers often give him a "shout out" pre race, etc. Several years ago he ran a Disney with his own bib, but also put another runners bib underneath--so the timing chips registered as if both were running the race. The problem was, he's a fast runner, and the other runner was a female--his time got her 1st place in her age group! Disney just DQ'ed the results. They certainly didn't ban him or the other person--he has run tons of races since....and has pulled the same stunt multiple times since (at Disney and other races!)

I'm amazed Disney would not care about this. Bibs are the only way they know who is on the course, so if they allow this sort of thing, they can't be sure who is or is not running the race, and what their status is, or whether they are covered by insurance. But then we are talking about runDisney, not Disney per se.

There can't be a good motivation for running with two bibs. It's either to steal a medal for someone who didn't run the race, or to put a qualifying time on record for some other race. This sounds like a case for Derek at marathoninvestigation.

I'm amazed Disney would not care about this. Bibs are the only way they know who is on the course, so if they allow this sort of thing, they can't be sure who is or is not running the race, and what their status is, or whether they are covered by insurance. But then we are talking about runDisney, not Disney per se.

There can't be a good motivation for running with two bibs. It's either to steal a medal for someone who didn't run the race, or to put a qualifying time on record for some other race. This sounds like a case for Derek at marathoninvestigation.

I'm pretty sure that is his motivation- corral placement for Disney/other races. I've thought about writing Derek about it, but for a while it seemed he was mostly focused just on those cheating their way to Boston Qualifying. If I "catch" him again I'll write to Derek.

I'm pretty sure that is his motivation- corral placement for Disney/other races. I've thought about writing Derek about it, but for a while it seemed he was mostly focused just on those cheating their way to Boston Qualifying. If I "catch" him again I'll write to Derek.

I would write to him now.

Obviously he's not just interested in BQ.

Hurricane prep has kept me busy so I'm late to this party but...wow. Fascinating story. First, huge props to everyone who handled this. I'm really impressed. Second, I would be devastated if Disney doesn't press this. It would send a huge message about how much or how little they care about the integrity of the races.

Hurricane prep has kept me busy so I'm late to this party but...wow. Fascinating story. First, huge props to everyone who handled this. I'm really impressed. Second, I would be devastated if Disney doesn't press this. It would send a huge message about how much or how little they care about the integrity of the races.
Really, there is little runDisney can press charges on. At most, the cost of the medal and tee shirt. So it is petty theft. But the person involved can press other charges.

So what happens to the people that had their bib stolen? Are they still able to run? That would suck to have your bib stolen and not be able to run.

So what happens to the people that had their bib stolen? Are they still able to run? That would suck to have your bib stolen and not be able to run.
I believe the one women got a replacement bib after runDisney discovered the stolen bib.

I believe the one women got a replacement bib after runDisney discovered the stolen bib.

I hope so that is unfair that you have no control if someone forges your identity at checkin and you have no chance to get your bib number and not run in the race that you signed up for. If you a replacement bib, would you be able to still run in the corral you qualified for? That would not be fair if you submitted your proof of time, qualified for Corral A, and had to run in Corral G or whatever the last corral is because someone stole your bib.

I hope so that is unfair that you have no control if someone forges your identity at checkin and you have no chance to get your bib number and not run in the race that you signed up for. If you a replacement bib, would you be able to still run in the corral you qualified for? That would not be fair if you submitted your proof of time, qualified for Corral A, and had to run in Corral G or whatever the last corral is because someone stole your bib.
my friend was the person at the Disneyland half whose 5k bin was stolen. Rundisney took care of it and placed her in her correct corral. She just didn’t have her name on the bib.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!