• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

2017 WDW Marathon Non-Running Goals Thread!!

Keels

The Official Keels of RunDisney
We've got a thread for running, and thread for Marathon Weekend and it's associated challenges ... now?

Let's start a thread for those of us planning Non-Running Goals!

As a part of the Dopey Challenge, there was a Dopey participant (also a BQer, for context) that was injured going into Dopey and decided to take on a Challenge outside of running - to ride as many rides as possible during the Half and Full Marathon.

Here's what he was able to hit:

Half Marathon: Test Track and Mission Space.
Full Marathon: Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Triceratop Spin, Star Tours, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track

Who wants to plan to do something crazy and make the most of their marathon experience??

PARTICIPANTS:
@Keels: Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror*, beer stop at YC, Mexico Boat, margarita from Cava de Tequila for the Finish Line
@mbwhitti: One ride in every park (after MK)
@FFigawi: Everest, Primeval Whirl, RnR, ToT, Frozen/Mexico Boat, Expedition Everest, Dinosaur, Primeval Whirl, Triceratop Spin, Star Tours, Rock'n'Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, Test Track (or, also, TBD), beer stop at YC
@ZellyB: Expedition Everest, Tower of Terror*, beer/pretzel in Germany

* - possible but not definite

Last edited:
Oh man I'm just hoping to finish dopey. I'm thinking maybe if I feel up to it I'll ride Everest but that's about it. You guys have some loftier goals. I also can't get those beers or margaritas you all talk about. I'll have to find a smoothie or something lol.

Great idea for a thread though!

WOW!!! Those are some awesome goals. I'm hoping to ride Everest this time even if my DH has to wait for me. I also want to pick up a beer and pretzel in Germany for the last leg home. I'd also love to fit in ToT since it's my most favorite ride in all of Disney, but that's quite a ways off the beaten path isn't it?

@Keels you forgot to add the beer stop at YC

Added! And I like how you point that out but have no issue that I'm basically committing you to do the impossible! :rotfl2:

WOW!!! Those are some awesome goals. I'm hoping to ride Everest this time even if my DH has to wait for me. I also want to pick up a beer and pretzel in Germany for the last leg home. I'd also love to fit in ToT since it's my most favorite ride in all of Disney, but that's quite a ways off the beaten path isn't it?

ToT/Rock n Roller Coaster LOGISTICALLY are the hardest, since you do have to stray a bit from the course. HOWEVER. I'm optimistic that with Streets of America no longer being open to run through like in previous years (thanks, Star Wars land), the course will change - possibly to be similar to the old Wine & Dine nighttime course that came in by ToT. If the course doesn't lend itself to it, I may have to punt on ToT ... but I'm hopeful!

You also need to SLOW DOWN to ride anything in AK. Still not sure what my ride strategy will be this time. Probably depends on the conditions on race day. If we have pleasant weather I will probably try to ride everything near the route. If it is rainy or really hot/cold, I am just going to want to get done and inside somewhere.

You also need to SLOW DOWN to ride anything in AK. Still not sure what my ride strategy will be this time. Probably depends on the conditions on race day. If we have pleasant weather I will probably try to ride everything near the route. If it is rainy or really hot/cold, I am just going to want to get done and inside somewhere.

Yeah, all you speedsters need to slow down!!!

This year, we passed Everest at about 9:07 ... there really wasn't a line and we probably could've gone for it, but I was majorly paranoid and panicked about getting swept (#StupidKeels), so we skipped.

I am planning to try and hit RnR and ToT during the full as long as I can muster some outlaw spirit. Depending on costume issues (current working hypothesis is to run as Rancis Fluggerbutter with my sister (Candlehead) and cousin (Taffyta Muttonfudge)) I may be running the Half at a slower pace and may aim for Test Track during that race.

I am also hoping to pick up some soft serve ice cream at some point during the Full, but may settle for finding just about anything from somewhere that's open in HS or Epcot.

You all are awesome! I will be in the "just trying to reach the finish line" group. I would be too afraid that if I sat down for a ride in the middle of the marathon that at the end of the ride I would not be able to get back up! I will cheer you all on though!

I'm in! Woo hoo! This is going to be fun!

Count me in for Expedition Everest, (maybe ToT), beer stop at YC, GM slushie from France, Mexico Boat, and a blood orange margarita from Cava de Tequila!

Great thread!!
Jacque

You all are awesome! I will be in the "just trying to reach the finish line" group. I would be too afraid that if I sat down for a ride in the middle of the marathon that at the end of the ride I would not be able to get back up! I will cheer you all on though!

This was me for my first marathon. Two years later I rode Expeditiom Everest and it was awesome. :-)

I'm in! Woo hoo! This is going to be fun!

Count me in for Expedition Everest, (maybe ToT), beer stop at YC, GM slushie from France, Mexico Boat, and a blood orange margarita from Cava de Tequila!

Great thread!!
Jacque

Where are you buying the beer at Yacht Club - because that sounds like a cool plan and I want in on it.

I don't know if I should be impressed by these goals or think you are all insane. :crazy: It took everything I had to finish the marathon in itself. :faint: But really, I think these experiences sound awesome. Very cool!

Best of luck to everyone and happy training! :goodvibes

I'm aiming for a beer in EP again - best. beer. EVER. :dancer:

I'd love to throw in a ride, but I have a cranky hip that stiffens up and causes a bunch of pain if I sit immediately following running - I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get back up and run again!

HOWEVER. I'm optimistic that with Streets of America no longer being open to run through like in previous years (thanks, Star Wars land), the course will change - possibly to be similar to the old Wine & Dine nighttime course that came in by ToT.
Ooooh, yeah - that could happen! My concern with TOT and RnR are the pre-shows: those are pretty big time suckers.

I'm also interested in where this beer stop at YC is ... I could get on bard with that! Otherwise I would like to do the Mexico boat and have a beer for the finish line! I think I can get into Germany from the course pretty easy and that is my favorite beer stop!

The beer stop at YC is super secret ... and you have to be pals with me and @FFigawi ...

But, we can probably make room for others!

OK - not sure how friending works on here, but I'm now following you both. If I need to send a PM or something double secret magical, let me know. :thumbsup2 :drinking1

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter