2018 banked pts not being extended

Buzzro

Earning My Ears
I had a reservation for May that used banked 2018 pts. I was told by member service that these points would expire in Aug. which is my use year. I thought they were going to give a 6 month extension for banked pts. in this circumstance but I guess I read the memo wrong. Thankfully it was only 15 pts. Can anyone explain what they said in the memo concerning banked pt. extensions?

I had a reservation for May that used banked 2018 pts. I was told by member service that these points would expire in Aug. which is my use year. I thought they were going to give a 6 month extension for banked pts. in this circumstance but I guess I read the memo wrong. Thankfully it was only 15 pts. Can anyone explain what they said in the memo concerning banked pt. extensions?
I too thought they were being extended. So August use year is not in the group?

I wonder if they are waiting to see if the resorts will open in July? Because if so, we technically could use our points before they expire. ( I’m an aug UY too with 100 2018 points I banked for a summer trip.) Maybe something will happen if they stay closed through July?

It was only April and June UYs that got the extension on banked points that had been used for a canceled reservation.

So far, only April and June UY. I do think Aug UY has a chance to get the 6 month extension if things don’t open up in June.

Now that Disney go the go ahead to submit their opening plan and dare to government, I am hoping we will hear something this coming week for that and then maybe an update from DVC if they are going to change any of the policies in place.

I have a September use year and was using 106 banked '18 points for my June vacation.....in my mind I've already kissed them goodbye....

I have a September use year and was using 106 banked '18 points for my June vacation.....in my mind I've already kissed them goodbye....
I had a June reservation using 100 banked points from 2018 aug UY so I get it :( I did move our trip to July hoping we still get to go. We will see.

We also have 100 banked points (Aug UY) in a June reservation, originally May. I don't know if we should try for July because if it's a no go, then we're past the June 17th date to deposit points in RCI. I'm not happy about RCI, but it's probably better than losing the points. Hopefully, we'll get some opening dates & info from Disney soon.

I would be shocked if DVC did not extend 2018 banked points for August, September, and October UY's.
I am waiting for an announcement, but if nothing is announced by early June, below is what I plan to send to member satisfaction.

2018 Banked points should be extended for August, September and October Use Years
For the same category of points, there should never be a situation (even this unique situation) where points from a later Use Year expire sooner than points from an earlier Use Year.
I understand the resorts were closed when the 2018 banked points for the June Use Year would have normally expired, and it was great you extended those points. If you had extended those points so they would now expire on or before July 31, 2020 (the day 2018 banked points for the August Use Year are currently set to expire) then it would have been acceptable not to extend 2018 banked points for August or any later Use Year. However, since you extended the 2018 banked points for the June Use Year until November 30, 2020, points in that same category (2018 banked points) should be extended to at least that same November 30, 2020 date for the August, September and October Use Years.
A 6-month extension would be even better, but at a minimum they need to be extended to November 30, 2020.
P.S. Hopefully you will announce a decision before June 16th, since if the 2018 banked points for the August Use Year are not extended, they will need to be deposited into RCI by that date to avoid restrictions in RCI.

Last edited:
It was only April and June UYs that got the extension on banked points that had been used for a canceled reservation
This. We were one of many affected by this. We were able to get a 6 month extension on the 2018 points banked and lucky enough to be able to bank the 2019 points for a year.
Depending how long they are closed, I wouldn't be surprised to see them add additional UYs to their banking rules.

I would be shocked if DVC did not extend 2018 banked points for August, September, and October UY's.
I am waiting for an announcement, but if nothing is announced by early June, below is what I plan to send to member satisfaction.

2018 Banked points should be extended for August, September and October Use Years
For the same category of points, there should never be a situation (even this unique situation) where points from a later Use Year expire sooner than points from an earlier Use Year.
I understand the resorts were closed when the 2018 banked points for the June Use Year would have normally expired, and it was great you extended those points. If you had extended those points so they would now expire on or before July 31, 2020 (the day 2018 banked points for the August Use Year are currently set to expire) then it would have been acceptable not to extend 2018 banked points for August or any later Use Year. However, since you extended the 2018 banked points for the June Use Year until November 30, 2020, points in that same category (2018 banked points) should be extended to at least that same November 30, 2020 date for the August, September and October Use Years.
A 6-month extension would be even better, but at a minimum they need to be extended to November 30, 2020.
P.S. Hopefully you will announce a decision before June 16th, since if the 2018 banked points for the August Use Year are not extended, they will need to be deposited into RCI by that date to avoid restrictions in RCI.

I agree with this.

From todays email from DVC
Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020.

Additionally, April, June and now August, September and October 2018 Use Year points that were banked into 2019 Use Years and used for these reservations will now all expire November 30, 2020.

So excited that they took your idea! I think this works well for you right?

I was really hoping that each month would get a 6 month extension, instead of having all of the banked points expire on November 30. We have banked points in Aug, Sept and Oct UY's that were banked for our May trip, then rebooked for June. There's no way that we can use them by Nov 30, 2020. We actually have a small trip booked with arrival on Nov 30, and I was hoping that we could have the points used on that trip. Our Aug UY has 100 banked points, and although I'm happy that DVC is extending them, the Nov 30 date is only an additional 4 months, whereas the 6 months would make it much easier to schedule a trip and use those points.

So excited that they took your idea! I think this works well for you right?
Thank you, but I do not think they actually took my Idea. I never sent the email to member satisfaction that I said I was going to send if an announcement was not made by early June.
Do you think they read the Dis Boards?

Thank you, but I do not think they actually took my Idea. I never sent the email to member satisfaction that I said I was going to send if an announcement was not made by early June.
Do you think they read the Dis Boards?

They could...maybe they knew you were thinking it and you have some strong vibes!

Has anyone with Aug 2018 Use Year Points that were banked into 2019 actually seen the extension added in the system? Mine haven't been extended yet, so just wondering what others are seeing.

Has anyone with Aug 2018 Use Year Points that were banked into 2019 actually seen the extension added in the system? Mine haven't been extended yet, so just wondering what others are seeing.

It has been reported that the 2018 points will not show up online. You will not have access to book with them until they are extended and they are not being extended until after they expire,

So, based on that, you will have to call Aug 1st, and can use them to book something new, People have been told they can not be put into reservations already in place to free up other points,

I sent an email tonight to Membership Satisfaction saying that they really should put something out on the member website with the rules surrounding these points,

Even though I have none, I mentioned that I had a lot of friends who do, and they are relying on second hand information another person heard from CMs, after sitting on hold for an hour,

It has been reported that the 2018 points will not show up online. You will not have access to book with them until they are extended and they are not being extended until after they expire,

So, based on that, you will have to call Aug 1st, and can use them to book something new, People have been told they can not be put into reservations already in place to free up other points,

I sent an email tonight to Membership Satisfaction saying that they really should put something out on the member website with the rules surrounding these points,

Even though I have none, I mentioned that I had a lot of friends who do, and they are relying on second hand information another person heard from CMs, after sitting on hold for an hour,
When they announced 2018 banked points would be extended until Nov 30, 2020, I took that to mean (and I think it was a reasonable assumption) those extended point would be just like 2018 banked points for members with a Dec UY, which also expire on November 30, 2020.

Although there ha been no official announcement, based on what other members are posting it appears the extended 2018 banked points will have far more restrictions than "normal" banked points that expire on November 30, 2020.

I can live with whatever DVC decides, but I am disappointed DVC put out a major announcement saying 2018 banked points were being extended without including the details (or even suggesting) those extended points would have severe restrictions. IMHO the announcement is very misleading.

Last edited:
When they announced 2018 banked points would be extended until Nov 30, 2020, I took that to mean (and I think it was a reasonable assumption) those extended point would be just like 2018 banked points for members with a Dec UY, which also expire on November 30, 2020.

Although there ha been no official announcement, based on what other members are posting it appears the extended 2018 banked points will have far more restrictions than "normal" banked points that expire on November 30, 2020.

I can live with whatever DVC decides, but I am disappointed DVC put out a major announcement saying 2018 banked points were being extended without including the details (or ever suggesting) those extended points would have severe restrictions. IMHO the announcement is very misleading.

I agree with you 100% that they should have included the rules in the FAQs because these extended points have some,

Without the rules for use, it leaves it open for assumptions. As you said, they are free to attach whatever rules they want, but they have made it difficult for members who found this out, have spent hours on the phone or waiting in chat, only to be told their access to the points won’t be until after they actually expire.

It is why I sent that email yesterday even though I have no 2018 points. As I posted somewhere already, I have been pretty supportive of the way they handled things...but the communication on this specific point has not been good at all. They dropped the ball for sure.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter