2018 Christmas Vacation Planning

Not yet.

We normally go 12/24 - 1/1. Last year we waited too long and the flights got too expensive, so we booked 12/25-1/1.

We'll probably book right after our Easter trip. Really hoping for free dining to go through 12/22. If that's the case, we'll go 12/22-1/1—Adding the 2-3 days with free dining would save us a little over $700. We're staying at YC for Easter, rather than BC, so we wanna see which we prefer before booking Christmas.

Not to endorse Southwest, but it's the best when booking trips well in advance. If you book with points, you can cancel and be refunded your entire trip. If you purchase tickets and the price of the flight goes down, you can contact them for a voucher.

You have nothing to lose from booking a hotel now, outside of Disney booking up, then not offering Free Dining. You can always cancel and get your deposit back.

Book the second flights become available with Southwest. We had this problem twice in the past 2 years. Two years ago, we tried to book the day the flights were extended and missed out on the Wanna Get Away Fare. Luckily we found a flight that was within our budget. Last year we waited too long. Christmas Eve was too expensive. I kept pushing to book anyway, predicting that the price would come down, but $340 each way was WAYY too out of our budget. We booked about $220 each way. Long story short, the price for 12/24 came down, but we kept the 12/25 flights (which also came down)

For first timers, you're in for a real, real treat. We've been going the past eight-out-of-nine years and LOVE it. Yes, it's crowded, but there's nothing like it. You can totally get around the crowds by going early/staying late and taking breaks in the afternoon.

Yes. Booked Nov-26 to Dec-5 at the Poly CL. 125 days until I can make ADR's. The wait is killing me :bored:
Hi! We are booked Nov 26- Dec 4th Poly CL. Maybe we will see you there. Looking forward to it. I always wanted to stay at the Poly and we have never stayed CL. Also first trip with just DH and I.

We will be there Dec 23 - Jan 1. We have gone previously for the holiday season, but never for the actual holidays. We are super excited. NY at Epcot looks so fun! We are also leaving soon for our spring break parks/cruise trip, but I'm actually WAY more excited for the Christmas trip that's still months and months away lol.

Very similar to us. We are staying Dec 1-12 at AKL Logdge Kidani Village, and 12-15 at Royal Pacific for Universal Studios. We are also going to spend 1 day at Discovery Cove and 1 day at SeaWorld (which is free with the Discovery Cove purchase). Everything is all planned out as much as I can. Just waiting for 180 days :)

We really want to try and fit in Discover Cove. Your going a few more days than us which helps. I have everything done less flights and ADR plus touring plan finalized. Waiting for MVMCP dates to come out too. Firming up dining prefs is a challenge. I have my favs but want to try a few new ones like Saana and Jiko. Time is just short to do it all.

Also a first-timer at Christmas! We’re booked December 22-28 at POP! We’ve never stayed at POP before, so also looking forward to experiencing a new resort for us. And I’ll be booking a Candlelight Processional package- it’s on my bucket list!

When do people start booking their flights? We’re lucky to live in a suburb of Chicago so we’ve got 2 airports only 30 minutes away!

Also a first-timer at Christmas! We’re booked December 22-28 at POP! We’ve never stayed at POP before, so also looking forward to experiencing a new resort for us. And I’ll be booking a Candlelight Processional package- it’s on my bucket list!

When do people start booking their flights? We’re lucky to live in a suburb of Chicago so we’ve got 2 airports only 30 minutes away!
I’ve been watching Jet Blue to open up but their only up to end of October! We r going 12/9 for a week hoping to switch in May to CCR we own DVC at SSR!

Booked it for Christmas. Haven't broken it to my family yet!

Edited to add: Cancelled. I'm no longer staying at a Disney owned resort when I go to Disney, and am doing mostly solo trips for a while either at the Swan or Dolphin or off site. My family doesn't want to go, so why spend so much on that trip if they don't want to go?

Last edited:
My daughter and I are going December 16-23. First time at Christmas, she is a freshman in College and scheduling prevented it. Extremely excited. Booked POR, our usual resort, but changed to POP, saved a bundle, will help pay for everything else.

Last edited:
I arrive on Nov 23 and have to leave Nov 30. Going for my 60th birthday. want to see all their holiday decoration and just have a good time. staying at all star movie.:lovestruc

Giving it another try. Praying for better results than what my family got this past MVMCP. Booked our next vacation December 2-8. This past Christmas vacation was the 2nd week of December, & I was surprised at the busy crowd level. I read so many blogs, that said the beginning was 1 of the lowest crowd levels of the year, but when I went the 1st week of May a couple years ago... That spoiled me to the VERY low crowd level. I'm sure it did not help me any, that Disney offered a free dining plan starting the day after our arrival. Also, a super cold front came through & our only night at MVMCP was cold & wet :( This time we are going a week earlier, & I am booking 2 MVMCP, so we can experience everything. Even if we get stuck in long lines for special character meets, or free cookies. I'm thinking if we miss something at the 1st party we attend, than we can make it up the second round ;)

Last edited:
Giving it another try. Praying for better results. Booked December 2-8. This last Christmas we went the 2nd week of December, & I was surprised at the busy crowd level. I read so many blogs, that said the beginning was 1 of the lowest crowd levels, but when I went the 1st week of May a couple years ago... That spoiled me to the VERY low crowd level. Also, a super cold front came through & our only night at MVMCP was cold & wet :( This time we are going a week earlier, & I am booking 2 MVMCP, so we can experience everything. Even if we get stuck in long lines for special character meets, or free cookies. Maybe what we miss at the 1st party we can do the second round ;)

Good Luck! We went that exact time last year and you just have to watch out for the large groups of cheerleaders mid to later in the week in the parks. It was warm the beginning of the week Mon and Tues, Wed was in between and Thurs and Fri we needed jackets all day. I agree about needing 2 nights at MVMCP if you want to do character meet and greets because there are always lines. I can tell you there are never really slow times any more. Even that time you went a few years ago in May is probably more crowded than it was when you went. We are trying for the week before and leaving on Dec 4th because we didn't want to run into any cheerleaders. Some of them can be rude. I hope you have fun and enjoy your vacation. :yay:

We had such a great time last November that we are going back to Orlando for a week in December this year. Because we had never done any of it before a few months ago we decided we were going to focus on things we hadn't already done so we are staying at Universal (we're both pretty big Harry Potter fans so we're excited to try that too). We are looking at doing a day at SeaWorld and an evening at MVMCP. Then we're looking at another trip that's more Disney focused once Star Wars opens.

Good Luck! We went that exact time last year and you just have to watch out for the large groups of cheerleaders mid to later in the week in the parks. It was warm the beginning of the week Mon and Tues, Wed was in between and Thurs and Fri we needed jackets all day. I agree about needing 2 nights at MVMCP if you want to do character meet and greets because there are always lines. I can tell you there are never really slow times any more. Even that time you went a few years ago in May is probably more crowded than it was when you went. We are trying for the week before and leaving on Dec 4th because we didn't want to run into any cheerleaders. Some of them can be rude. I hope you have fun and enjoy your vacation. :yay:

Oh Pooh! I completely forgot about the cheerleaders. I remember telling my husband on our last visit, how we lucked out & missed them by A few days. But than we unfortunately missed out on the free dining plan by 1 day, yet got drowned by the dining crowd. Nothing like paying full price, & knowing most around you are eating the same for free. I think my problem was after all the planning I had done last trip. I was overly confident I had planned the perfect trip. My expectations were too high. I have learned from my mistakes, & I'm going to expect a huge crowd & be more prepared to wait patiently. I figure 1 night at the MVMCP can be for watching shows in front of the castle & the parade. The 2nd party can be character pictures & free goodies. I guess on the bright side of things... My 16 year old son will be happy to know its cheerleaders week, lol! We will make the best of it. Thank you, & you have a very merry magical good time yourself:tink:

Oh Pooh! I completely forgot about the cheerleaders. I remember telling my husband on our last visit, how we lucked out & missed them by A few days. But than we unfortunately missed out on the free dining plan by 1 day, yet got drowned by the dining crowd. Nothing like paying full price, & knowing most around you are eating the same for free. I think my problem was after all the planning I had done last trip. I was overly confident I had planned the perfect trip. My expectations were too high. I have learned from my mistakes, & I'm going to expect a huge crowd & be more prepared to wait patiently. I figure 1 night at the MVMCP can be for watching shows in front of the castle & the parade. The 2nd party can be character pictures & free goodies. I guess on the bright side of things... My 16 year old son will be happy to know its cheerleaders week, lol! We will make the best of it. Thank you, & you have a very merry magical good time yourself:tink:
Thanks! Hopefully we both have a good Christmas vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!