2018 Price Increases

Does your husband just not like flying? That's a long ride! We drove down once but it was two days of driving. I liked it but I loathe flying. My husband, the driver, wasn't so keen lol

You and my husband would get along well :) Yes, basically, he just really doesn't like flying. He gets very anxious/nervous, and also a bit squeamish. It's really not an enjoyable experience for him. Would he fly if I really pushed the issue? Probably. But, honestly, I'd rather he enjoy himself and so... we drove/will drive if we ever return. And, admittedly, we did really enjoy it on the way there. We stopped and toured the Shenandoah Caverns on the way down, which was a nice break. The way home was definitely rougher though, and we both said that if we ever went back, we would probably add a day to the trip home and break it up with some sight seeing. However, the fact that I'm flying with MIL in November speaks to my preference ;) We've joked that if we can ever convince MIL/FIL to go back one more time with us, that we would all drive down together, and then MIL, kids and I would fly home, while DH and FIL drive home.

I think repeat customers (like me) who have to fly to Orlando will grapple with the frequency of their trips.

Maybe we went twice a year, now we go once. Maybe we went once a year, now we make it every other year. That kind of thing. There is only so much cutting you can do to a particular trip. And shorter trips won't be a fun answer because of the high cost of getting there.

This equation will be different for those who are within driving distance.

Even though we are within driving distance, we believe that a minimum of 5 park days is what we need to do everything done that we want.

So, with the cost in ticket prices going up and probably everything else, coupled with the increased costs we see hitting our family budget, we'll be looking at going maybe once every two or three years instead of once a year - if even that.

Disney is just going to increase prices until park attendance tells them they have hit the ceiling. They aren't there yet. It is like a saying I heard about baseball team ticket prices: if your stadium is full every night, you aren't charging enough.

I sure hope they are thinking long term though. The economy is due for a slowdown and if they are up too high when that happens they could find themselves in a heap of trouble real quick when people starting pullnig the plug on vacations.

I realized a long time ago a trip to WDW is expensive. When I started going in the early 80's it was expensive for me as a college student working my way thru school. After I graduated and got a job we started staying in Moderate resorts, we then graduated to deluxe resorts. During my 30's and 40's we made a point to stay at deluxe resorts. I considered it a rite of passage, something I promised myself I would do when I could afford it. Now that I'm in my 50's it's just not as important to me.
In a way we've made a complete circle, the last trip we stayed in PO FQ like we did back in the 90's. Not because we had to, because we wanted to. Maybe part of it was nostalgia, but we had a really good time. It was a more relaxed, less stressful trip. I swear I think part of it was the fact we weren't spending $400.00-$600.00/night for a room. Because in the back of your mind, even if you can afford it, you're thinking I better have a good time at these prices!
We decided it's about being in WDW & spending time in the parks. We have thoroughly enjoyed the more expensive choices, but we don't spend a lot of time at the hotel anyway.
Will we go back to deluxe resorts? Most likely, we still want to stay at GF & YC. But I can certainly see alternating between more and less expensive options depending on our mood. So if the price increases force us to go from deluxe to moderate it's not that big a deal. If the price increases make us consider going from moderate to budget I can see us opting for a better hotel off site and split the difference.

First of all, I want to apologize to my behavior. It isn't worth it. I just talk to my doctor about it, but my mom told me that if I can renew my pass before expiring dste, I get a discount. Silly me. Also, last week I just have my job interview and still waiting for the results. So I feel better about it. I just hope Disneyland knows what they're doing.

Last edited:
First of all, I want to apologize to my behavior. It isn't worth it. I just talk to my doctor about it, but my mom told me that if I can renew my pass before expiring dste, I get a disount. Silly me. Also, last week I just have my job interview and still waiting for the results. So I feel better about it. I just hope Disneyland knows what they're doing.
Just a heads up Disneyland did away with renewal discounts with this round of price increases. Disney World still has renewal discounts.

Just a heads up Disneyland did away with renewal discounts with this round of price increases. Disney World still has renewal discounts.
WhaT!? Ah dang it! But, you know what? I'll be okay. I just need a job that's all. Besides, my expiring date is not until December. So I have time.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter