2018 Princess Half Marathon

I'm deciding whether to join in on PHM 2018. I already know I will be there that weekend, and I know I'll be envious when I see all the shirts and medals. I did the GSC in 2014, 2015 and 2016, with the 5k as well in 15 & 16. It is still a fun weekend, but I felt like there was a drop of in entertainment and character opportunities over the years so that's my hesitation. I feel like prices have risen while the experience has declined a bit, though I definitely still enjoyed it. I will be anxious to see some reviews after this years race.

In the end knowing it is an anniversary year and the fact I'll be there anyway, I will likely sign up. But add me to the people who think rD is getting a bit ridiculous with how early they're starting registration.

The only reason I'm signed up for the Wine & Dine 5k this year is because I was already going to be there, so I'd say that's a good enough reason :cutie:

Last edited:
I went ahead and added some of the base "important dates" for the race (the actual race dates, registration) to the first post and I'll add in the other dates when we know them. Dates like proof of time submission, DVC/AP registration (though it makes sense that it'd be the 27th), and any other dates that are important. Just let me know what should be added otherwise!

Oh gosh, will they move up the proof of time submissions to earlier than November? I liked having all the fall races to choose from. Last year was my first Princess Half, and since I can't afford a Disney vacation every year I'm not running this year (but I'm enjoying reading about everyone who is!). I was kind of hoping that the group I went with last year will want to do a run in 2018 (we had SO much fun on our Princess Weekend vacation)- but I better sound the alarm that we don't have until July to decide!

Oh gosh, will they move up the proof of time submissions to earlier than November? I liked having all the fall races to choose from. Last year was my first Princess Half, and since I can't afford a Disney vacation every year I'm not running this year (but I'm enjoying reading about everyone who is!). I was kind of hoping that the group I went with last year will want to do a run in 2018 (we had SO much fun on our Princess Weekend vacation)- but I better sound the alarm that we don't have until July to decide!

I don't think they'd move up proof of time since they still have to do all the lead up dates/things basically the same (aside from registration). So hopefully not but I'm sure we won't know for at least a little while!

Interesting name change but I think it makes sense and is not surprising after they did the same thing to Disneyland and Wine and Dine. It probably is a way to make more money, but I don't think it matters or is a bad thing. It's a way for them to spruce things up and offer some variety too from year to year. The same medal with just a bit of a change gets a bit boring after a while (although I'm a bit bummed I missed out on ever getting the tiara half marathon medal or the original GSC medal).

What do you guys think of them bumping up the registration dates? I'm a little torn. On the one hand, it's nice having a longer gap between registration and booking our stay, but on the other hand it sucks to have to register that far out, especially since they took away the option to defer registration. I don't know if they're trying to weed out the weak-hearted folks or what, but this seems like a drastic change in planning, especially for first-timers who aren't sure if they'll be able to commit that far out. And with as hefty of a pricetag as they races call for, that's a lot of money to put forward that far in advance of race day.

I think it stinks. Lol. The regular Disney World Marathon registration has already begun and that's way far out.

I heard from a Cast Member this past weekend that with Princess 2018 being the 10 year Anniversary they would be changing the Challenge theme from Glass Slipper to something else. ?? Anyone else with "connections" hear anything like this?? They didn't change the names of th WDW Marathon races for their anniversaries....but doesn't mean they wouldn't for this one.

You don't need connections to know this. It was announced last week the challenge is now the Disney Fairy Tale Challenge. Check the FAQ thread for more details.

You don't need connections to know this. It was announced last week the challenge is now the Disney Fairy Tale Challenge. Check the FAQ thread for more details.
Yep, and its listed on the runDisney website.

Just saw the FAQ but not seeing it on the RunDisney site.....not sure where they mention it. ?
Well... it was there but I'm not seeing it anymore. What I posted on the FAQ was directly from the runDisney site. They must've changed it too soon and reverted back until they are ready to switch everything to 2018.

Well... it was there but I'm not seeing it anymore. What I posted on the FAQ was directly from the runDisney site. They must've changed it too soon and reverted back until they are ready to switch everything to 2018.

Ahhh...well I appreciate the info! Like I said, I just heard about it at the race and never saw it on the site. Was hoping to read more info on the change, which I'm sure they will be releasing soon.

Count me in! Planning on the challenge (whatever it's called :goodvibes). Ran my first half at the Princess weekend in 2015, and it was an awesome experience. My niece and I both have milestone birthdays at the end of 2017 (she'll be 21 and I'll be 50), and we decided the Princess challenge would be a great way to celebrate them! :jumping1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter