2018 Princess Half Marathon

Hi All, long time lurker, new poster with a world of questions. I am running the 5k for the first time in Feb.
1. How many characters are usually on the 5k course?
2. How long should I expect the race to last? I normally run a 29 min 5k, I think I put in a mileage to get me in the first corral and want to meet as many characters as possible and intend to be speedy to minimize line waits for characters.
3. Are there things happening after the race at the finish? Photo ops? Trying to determine if I will make an 8am RD at MK, assuming there are EMH.
4. Staying at YC-can I go through IG to get "home"? Or do I need to leave through the front and plan on monorail straight to MK?

Thank you!

1. If I remember correctly, there's usually Minnie within the first mile, then themed characters every half mile or so along the route (2016's theme was Little Mermaid, so we saw a guy dressed as a giant crab), and some characters at the pavilions in Epcot, and I believe we saw Goofy and Genie (?) dressed in tropical aloha shirts (but that may have been during the 10K). And there's usually characters at the finish line.

2. That really depends on how many stops you make. If you're in Corral A and don't make many stops, you could realistically finish in a half hour if that's your usual pace. However, making it to an 8am RD at MK could be tough depending on transportation and how hot it gets (thus requiring a shower or change of clothes after).

3. There's usually a finish line party with music and snacks and vendors (food, drinks, runDisney booth, etc). The finish line party is in the same location for all three races (5K, 10K, HM).

4. You could go through the IG to get "home" depending on construction of the gondolas by the IG, however, you would have to use a park pass to get from the finish line party through the front gate at Epcot, so if you don't have a parkhopper, you would be burning a park pass by doing so.

For the newbies (@Dizfinder and @pinkxray) here is the link to the 2016 PHM event guide: http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/rundisney/pdf/princess/2016/2016-princess-race-weekend-program.pdf

Not much changes year-to-year, but be prepared for anything. runDisney has become kinda unpredictable since the running craze has tapered off a bit. It seems that PHM is the only consistently sold-out race as of late, and with all of the construction going on around WDW, I wouldn't be surprised to see route changes, time changes, etc.

ugh, I'm trying to find a Fall 10K to get a proof of time (def won't be ready for a half marathon this fall) and it's remarkably difficult. the only one that seems possible has me driving down the cape and back on a Sunday, which seems like a bad situation.

Thank you, friend!

I may just need to do that!! I need a do over from last year! Also, is there a way for non members check how many bibs are left!

They're having a great membership initiation package where the gift card is now $50 instead of the $25 you usually got! Hint hint hint.

Hi All, long time lurker, new poster with a world of questions. I am running the 5k for the first time in Feb.
2. How long should I expect the race to last? I normally run a 29 min 5k, I think I put in a mileage to get me in the first corral and want to meet as many characters as possible and intend to be speedy to minimize line waits for characters.
3. Are there things happening after the race at the finish? Photo ops? Trying to determine if I will make an 8am RD at MK, assuming there are EMH.
4. Staying at YC-can I go through IG to get "home"? Or do I need to leave through the front and plan on monorail straight to MK?

Thank you!
I'm gonna give some different answers:

1.) Hard to say as it changes from year to year - I wouldn't bank on a set amount or list. But the 5K is generally pretty good with the amount of characters that are out.
2.) I was in Corral A last year, a bit slower than you and stopped for 3-4 characters and it took me 40ish minutes. Greatly depends on your corral, so if you're placed properly I would guess less than 40 minutes
3.) Yes, the DJ will still be there and there will be some photo-ops...last year there were Princesses out (can't remember how many, at least 2...possibly 4?) and generic Princess Half Marathon Weekend backdrops.
4.) No, the park won't be open yet and runners will still be on the course, so you won't be able to walk through after the 5K - and then they'll need to prep the park for opening. The monorail is not available for transportation to the 5K so I'm not sure I'd plan on it being available right when you're done. If you get in Corral A and run a 30ish -minute 5K, you're done at 6:30, 6:35. I'm not totally sure when the monorails start in the morning but it's possible you'll actually have to wait for a bus back to YC, and that would mean waiting for the course to clear out - the route goes right by where the bus pulls up and if you are one of the earlier finishers, you have to wait for the final few corrals to actually start the race before you can get on a bus (this happened to me last year). I'm wondering if it would be better for you to wait around in the finish area and then grab a bus to, say, the Contemporary to get to the MK at 8.

Here's my 5K race report from last year to give you an idea of how the morning goes: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...kend-trip-report.3583700/page-4#post-57228424

Last edited:
I'm gonna give some different answers:

1.) Hard to say as it changes from year to year - I wouldn't bank on a set amount or list. But the 5K is generally pretty good with the amount of characters that are out.
2.) I was in Corral A last year, a bit slower than you and stopped for 3-4 characters and it took me 40ish minutes. Greatly depends on your corral, so if you're placed properly I would guess less than 40 minutes
3.) Yes, the DJ will still be there and there will be some photo-ops...last year there were Princesses out (can't remember how many, at least 2...possibly 4?) and generic Princess Half Marathon Weekend backdrops.
4.) No, the park won't be open yet and runners will still be on the course, so you won't be able to walk through after the 5K - and then they'll need to prep the park for opening. The monorail is not available for transportation to the 5K so I'm not sure I'd plan on it being available right when you're done. If you get in Corral A and run a 30ish -minute 5K, you're done at 6:30, 6:35. I'm not totally sure when the monorails start in the morning but it's possible you'll actually have to wait for a bus back to YC, and that would mean waiting for the course to clear out - the route goes right by where the bus pulls up and if you are one of the earlier finishers, you have to wait for the final few corrals to actually start the race before you can get on a bus (this happened to me last year). I'm wondering if it would be better for you to wait around in the finish area and then grab a bus to, say, the Contemporary to get to the MK at 8.

Here's my 5K race report from last year to give you an idea of how the morning goes: https://www.disboards.com/threads/r...kend-trip-report.3583700/page-4#post-57228424

Ohh that's a good point, I forget that Epcot opens at 9am, so yeah, then the IG won't be an option for you. I definitely recommend taking a resort bus from the finish line area to get you closer to the MK like Ariel suggested. :)

ugh, I'm trying to find a Fall 10K to get a proof of time (def won't be ready for a half marathon this fall) and it's remarkably difficult. the only one that seems possible has me driving down the cape and back on a Sunday, which seems like a bad situation.

These are my thoughts about POT, and I've had experience in this.

Unless you're getting proof that will go along with a half time that is under their 2:45 "must give proof" timing, there's no point. I don't think, and I have seen no evidence in my corral
placements, that they care about POT unless it's for a time that requires POT.

Perhaps you are young and speedy. But your mention of not being ready for a Half by fall makes me think that you are new, so I don't know what your current abilities are.

If you estimated a time that's 2:45 or faster, then YES do whatever it takes to get that 10k, because *you have to*, and if you leave that estimate but do not get POT you will be sent to the back. (Or just change your estimate on active.com)

But if your estimate is 2:50 or slower, POT is not needed, and, from my experience, does not matter.

I've estimated 2:50 for the last two Halfs I've done with Disney, and I've been put perfectly in that timeframe of corrals, and I haven't submitted POT in a couple years.

No, the park won't be open yet and runners will still be on the course, so you won't be able to walk through after the 5K - and then they'll need to prep the park for opening. The monorail is not available for transportation to the 5K so I'm not sure I'd plan on it being available right when you're done.

Good point.

Unless you're getting proof that will go along with a half time that is under their 2:45 "must give proof" timing, there's no point. I don't think, and I have seen no evidence in my corral

Perhaps you are young and speedy. But your mention of not being ready for a Half by fall makes me think that you are new, so I don't know what your current abilities are.

If you estimated a time that's 2:45 or faster, then YES do whatever it takes to get that 10k, because *you have to*, and if you leave that estimate but do not get POT you will be sent to the back. (Or just change your estimate on active.com)

But if your estimate is 2:50 or slower, POT is not needed, and, from my experience, does not matter.

I've estimated 2:50 for the last two Halfs I've done with Disney, and I've been put perfectly in that timeframe of corrals, and I haven't submitted POT in a couple years.

ooh, good to know! thanks for all the info.

I am not particularly young and speedy, but I have been a casual runner for about 4 years. I actually ran PHM in '15 and my time was about 2:50. (ok, who am I kidding, I have it written down it was 2:53:12 lol). I was placed in Corral I that time based on a 10K time from the spring before.

I suspect I won't do much better this time around... so you're thinking I could just not worry about a POT? I guess I just don't have much of a gauge of what "being in the back" really means in terms of the run. I'm obviously not trying to break any records here lol.

Thank you!

I texted my husband after the 5K last year at 6:53 and told him the buses back to the hotels weren't running yet. It seems like it wasn't long after that though.

I am so paranoid about POT. I worry that some year, the mysterious corral assignment process will work differently than people think it will, so I have to submit POT no matter what my estimate is.

ooh, good to know! thanks for all the info.

I am not particularly young and speedy, but I have been a casual runner for about 4 years. I actually ran PHM in '15 and my time was about 2:50. (ok, who am I kidding, I have it written down it was 2:53:12 lol). I was placed in Corral I that time based on a 10K time from the spring before.

I suspect I won't do much better this time around... so you're thinking I could just not worry about a POT? I guess I just don't have much of a gauge of what "being in the back" really means in terms of the run. I'm obviously not trying to break any records here lol.

You don't want to be in the back if you can help it, particularly if you are not fast. Was this 2:53 time with photo stops or a bathroom break?

I am so paranoid about POT. I worry that some year, the mysterious corral assignment process will work differently than people think it will, so I have to submit POT no matter what my estimate is.

Understandable.

But they have to have room back there for those who don't enter their required pot and for those who start last and take the full 16 min/mile. :)

Light side and this year's princess I finished more along the lines of 3:30 (stupid pirate stop at princess destroyed me along with my back problems and the knee and ankle issues I also dealt with in Anaheim) and there were so many finishing behind me...

You don't want to be in the back if you can help it, particularly if you are not fast. Was this 2:53 time with photo stops or a bathroom break?

straight through, no breaks. I had a really bad second half of the race... I ran the first 7 miles really strong (for me) but then just fell apart in the second half and ended up speed-walking most it. it. my goal is to run the entire thing this time, which would presumably make me faster than the 2:53 I got walking half of it.

my main issue is that there are 10Ks that are either too late to count for POT (boo) or a bit too early, and I don't want to push myself to a longer mileage sooner that I'll have to recover from and could throw me off entirely. so maybe I should just take my chances without a POT.... ugh, I'll figure it out. thanks all for input!

straight through, no breaks. I had a really bad second half of the race... I ran the first 7 miles really strong (for me) but then just fell apart in the second half and ended up speed-walking most it. it. my goal is to run the entire thing this time, which would presumably make me faster than the 2:53 I got walking half of it.

my main issue is that there are 10Ks that are either too late to count for POT (boo) or a bit too early, and I don't want to push myself to a longer mileage sooner that I'll have to recover from and could throw me off entirely. so maybe I should just take my chances without a POT.... ugh, I'll figure it out. thanks all for input!

I might suggest the Galloway method. I'm actually faster with run/walk intervals than running straight through.

ahhh! I just signed up with a friend to run with Girl Power 2 Cure. First half and we are VERY excited to be back in Disney & running & for a good cause! :)

for those debating raw threads club is getting close to selling out princess bibs. I believe there was 3 5k bibs left a few halves and challenge bibs. also some 10k. I didn't really pay much attn. since I'm already in for all.

for those debating raw threads club is getting close to selling out princess bibs. I believe there was 3 5k bibs left a few halves and challenge bibs. also some 10k. I didn't really pay much attn. since I'm already in for all.

@Fire14 I'm looking for 2 10K bibs - on the Raw Threads website it's not clear to me that the Feb. 24 10K is the Princess 10K . . . what am I missing?

@Fire14 I'm looking for 2 10K bibs - on the Raw Threads website it's not clear to me that the Feb. 24 10K is the Princess 10K . . . what am I missing?

Because RawThreads Club is a private club that requires membership, they can't openly advertise what the exact races are ... that said, they're a RunDisney Expo vendor and the only races they sell registrations for via the Club are for Disney races. Between the dates and the fact that the background photo is a light blue, lacey Cinderella dress, I think you're safe with guessing that that race is the 10K.

Don't forget that RawThreads requires a membership purchase before you can buy a race registration from them.

says they have 6 10k only bibs left. it is for princess 10k as someone said it's blue gown type fabric in background and I'm sure if you email email they would confirm such for you

Just signed up to do the 1/2 through a TA. I'm also doing the wine & dine 10k, will that be too late for proof of time? This will be my first 1/2 marathon. Right now my best pace for 10k is 12.14. Haven't ran more then 6 miles yet but figured I've got plenty of time to train.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter