2019 Dues

Oh that sounds heavenly. Not the venti part; I’d be flying for hours from the sugar. But the orange mocha part. Yum.

650 points. Wowzers. Sigh...

But that’s the people who tipped. You’re not hearing from the many many others who don’t tip at all. I know many people who don’t even know that tipping housekeepers anywhere is a thing.

Well, it’s been discussed a lot in the Reaorts page over the years, but Disney housekeeping is not supposed to be a tipped position. The housekeepers know this going in. Any tip they receive I’m sure is appreciated, because it’s not something they should expect from their employment.
Sure, but I tip even though that’s not really a thing for housekeeping in Canada. I don’t believe I’ve ever mentioned it before just now. Foreign visitors are especially conscious of tipping in the US as to not offend. WDW sees a lot of foreign visitors.

Let us not forget how much the Mouse rakes in. I think my little contribution (what I've spent with the Mouse) is a tiny drop in the bucket, yet they can't pay decent wages. I'd say the low wage angst should be aimed their way. Not mine. I am in full agreement that the Mouse should pay higher wages (which would help keep better staff who would, in turn, provide better service). But the Mouse knows, down to a science, what level of service they need to provide and how much they need to pay to get that. They know we will keep coming with X level of service (and I am guessing that X level is a low level). So don't twist it to me being a monster who begrudges workers from earning a living wage.

Once again, you agreed to pay for the upkeep of the unit when you signed on. Why should I, as a Disney shareholder, subsidize your housekeeping? I invested money in Disney to make money so I can have wine with my dinner.

Either you are taking money from me, or you are denying it to housekeeping. Which monster would you like to be?

Last edited:
Once again, you agreed to pay for the upkeep of the unit when you signed on. Why should I, as a Disney shareholder, subsidize your housekeeping? I invested money in Disney to make money so I can have wine with my dinner.

Either you are taking money from me, or you are denying it to housekeeping. Which monster would you like to be?
Oh, please! I am doing no such thing as I pay my dues. Jeez Louise. What about you, as a shareholder? One could say same to you. Look, DVC sold us on and estimate of about 3-4% increase in dues a year. And that's not been all truthful. Just like you, as a shareholder, are promised a profit of whatever %. I think Disney dining staff need higher wages. Maybe the Mouse should take it out of profits and pay them. And bus drivers and park CMs......

Oh, please! I am doing no such thing as I pay my dues. Jeez Louise. What about you, as a shareholder? One could say same to you. Look, DVC sold us on and estimate of about 3-4% increase in dues a year. And that's not been all truthful. Just like you, as a shareholder, are promised a profit of whatever %. I think Disney dining staff need higher wages. Maybe the Mouse should take it out of profits and pay them. And bus drivers and park CMs......

Past performance does not predict future performance.

Dining staff would not be paid for by DVC holders - I think Disney rents the space even within the resorts. Won’t cost Disney profits they will simply pass along to higher food costs.

Sorry to change the subject here but I have a question about paying dvc dues with a disney gift card. We are new to dvc. I have set up our checking account for the paying of our dues on the 15th of each month. I have heard mention of paying the monthly dues with a gift card and I'm trying to figure out exactly how to go about doing this. Can anyone explain exactly how to do this?

Thanks for any help!

I'm a little confused over the direction taken as I have been reading things quite differently than you are Crisi. First, I took it just as a comparison of what the added cost meant to them as an owner in an item they consume (a glass of wine) rather than just comparing in $ amounts. It's not unusual to place something in perspective and break it down with a comparison of what that might otherwise buy - ie, that yes, though the percentage is higher than it's averaged over the years that for that particular owner it was the equivalent of 50 glasses of wine - which they said that yes, they can forgo. ie yes, they can afford the increase. Nothing I read at all said that housekeeping should in no way get an increase. The opposite of what you read into it. Then I thought that lovinfl was making a point that Disney, who has been recording record profits for quite a few years in the parks and resorts division, was the one who was controlling wages at the low levels. Accusing any DVC owner of being derelict in not paying better wages is quite unfair as we all know we have no real say at all in anything they do. Disney had 100% of the control unless no one would apply for housekeeping. It was another poster who suggested that Disney cover the cost of the wage increase.

All I read is an owner who said they can afford the increase even if it's quite a bit above the average that history showed should be expected.

Of course lovin'fl is the only one who really knows what they were stating but this was my take on it.

Last edited:

Sorry to change the subject here but I have a question about paying dvc dues with a disney gift card. We are new to dvc. I have set up our checking account for the paying of our dues on the 15th of each month. I have heard mention of paying the monthly dues with a gift card and I'm trying to figure out exactly how to go about doing this. Can anyone explain exactly how to do this?

Thanks for any help!

FWIW I haven't done this but as I understand what you do is go in and make a payment with the GC prior to the monthly deduction which must in effect mark that month paid. I'd think you could also just apply whatever amount of gift cards you would like to now and it will lower the monthly deduction that you would have for the remainder of the year.

Thanks for any help!

You can still pay with gift cards even if you've set up auto-pay. When you're ahead in payment, deductions wouldn't be made from your bank account that month (pay at least a week before the 15th).

Paying with gift cards sounds like a great way to save 5-10% with minimal effort. I'd definitely do it if we lived in the States and had one of the Target/Sam's/BJs memberships! Please make sure you buy Disney gift cards (good for most things Disney), not Disney Store gift cards which can only be used at Disney stores for merchandise.

You can still pay with gift cards even if you've set up auto-pay. When you're ahead in payment, deductions wouldn't be made from your bank account that month (pay at least a week before the 15th).

Paying with gift cards sounds like a great way to save 5-10% with minimal effort. I'd definitely do it if we lived in the States and had one of the Target/Sam's/BJs memberships! Please make sure you buy Disney gift cards (good for most things Disney), not Disney Store gift cards which can only be used at Disney stores for merchandise.

They can't ship to Australia?

They can't ship to Australia?

Doesn't look like they do. If the did, 10% Australian sales tax is applicable on online purchases shipped here! :sad1:

I briefly looked into it. The Target e-giftcard requires a Target credit/debit card. Sam's does have e-giftcards but membership is $60? and the discount isn't great. BJs seems to only have physical gift cards.

Look, DVC sold us on and estimate of about 3-4% increase in dues a year. And that's not been all truthful...

Hey sorry - if you believed a timeshare sales pitch...even a Disney one...that's on you...

Look - none of us LIKE the idea of a 10% increase in dues - even if it means a better living wage for the workers. What some of us are saying is we UNDERSTAND the increase. And it's perfectly logical that DVC has to pass that increase onto the owners. Like literally they HAVE to. It's in the contract.

Really your option is sell your points. It's not like that's at all difficult to do. Pretty sure you can also rent them out and still cover the 10% increase.

Hey sorry - if you believed a timeshare sales pitch...even a Disney one...that's on you...

Look - none of us LIKE the idea of a 10% increase in dues - even if it means a better living wage for the workers. What some of us are saying is we UNDERSTAND the increase. And it's perfectly logical that DVC has to pass that increase onto the owners. Like literally they HAVE to. It's in the contract.

Really your option is sell your points. It's not like that's at all difficult to do. Pretty sure you can also rent them out and still cover the 10% increase.
Yup. Agree. I have said as such this whole time. Said it's still worth owning some points. I have some listed and I also rented some for 2019. But I agree with all you said.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter