2019 DXDP - are you allowed to share? Post your ACTUAL experiences

Status
Not open for further replies.
The way Disney is rolling this out is really interesting to me, as it suggests they think they are losing more money from adults sharing credits than from people using "child" credits to purchase adult meals. That's the opposite of what I would have thought, but who knows?

I'm interested in reports of adults sharing a SINGLE credit. My husband and I like to share one DxDP credit, perhaps adding on an appetizer OOP, and then use the extra credits we accumulate by doing that for signature meals. Surely they can't stop you from doing that, right?

[GALLERY=][/GALLERY]
We have always shared credits. Our last trip was December 2018. We had no problems. My parents and and son are in a room 2 adults 1child. My husband and I are in a different room. If they do stop us from sharing could i just wear my mom's band. If they scanned dad's band it would show 2(A) 1(c). Then we could have them scan the band i was wearing(moms) it would show 2(A)1(c). We would redeem 2adult meals and they would redeem 2 adult and one child.We would be at the same table with two checks. Would that work?

I know this is not ideal, but there MAY be a work around for you (and anyone else). See if you can break up your party into groups of 3 and make 3 separate ADRs. At this late date, I'm sure it won't be easy, but it's worth a try. You sit at 3 different tables and just make sure each table has a band (and the pin) from the room with the plan. You would then have 3 people using 3 credits, just like we're now being told is the only way to "share" the plan.

I’m not a dining plan expert so correct me if this wouldn’t work, but couldn’t 2 or 3(or however many) people from the room with the dining plan all give their bands to pay for different checks? Like in my case I’ll have 4 adults. 2 in a room with DxDDP and 2 in a room with no plan. Couldn’t the 2 people on the plans pay for 2 meals each? How much info shows up on the machines they scan?

I think (can’t find it now) that one of the people who had issues already indicated it pulled up their room reservation, so I think the server would know that you were trying to redeem on the same room reservation. They may not CARE, but I think someone indicated they knew.

I’m not a dining plan expert so correct me if this wouldn’t work, but couldn’t 2 or 3(or however many) people from the room with the dining plan all give their bands to pay for different checks? Like in my case I’ll have 4 adults. 2 in a room with DxDDP and 2 in a room with no plan. Couldn’t the 2 people on the plans pay for 2 meals each? How much info shows up on the machines they scan?
This is what I saw on the screen when the server handed it to me in Dec at both H&V and Monsier Paul :
Dxddp 3 guests *
Jane Doe ( adult)
Sally Doe ( child)
Jimmy Doe ( child)
I dont know if they can switch screens to see more but I clearly saw those details in Dec.

kay, now I have a weird question.

If the credits are tied to rooms, and you have two rooms in a reservation and everyone in both rooms has the DxDDP... would it be possible to share credits between those two rooms? So, if say my Dad (who isn't a big eater) doesn't want to use 2TS credits at a fancy restaurant and pay OOP for his meal, but still use the 2TS credits to pay for a meal for myself or my husband... would they get snippy about it? 4 meals served, and do they care which one we pay for Out of Pocket?

kay, now I have a weird question.

If the credits are tied to rooms, and you have two rooms in a reservation and everyone in both rooms has the DxDDP... would it be possible to share credits between those two rooms? So, if say my Dad (who isn't a big eater) doesn't want to use 2TS credits at a fancy restaurant and pay OOP for his meal, but still use the 2TS credits to pay for a meal for myself or my husband... would they get snippy about it? 4 meals served, and do they care which one we pay for Out of Pocket?

i don't think that would be a problem, but it both rooms have deluxe that's a done of food. I'm not sure you would want to pay out of pocket. It's a lot for us and we share the plan.

Putting AYCTE restaurants and price fixe meals to the side for a moment...

Is there a rule against one person ordering two meals? Specifically, when someone else at the same table, but on a different check/bill is not hungry and only orders only a drink for themselves?

I have an upcoming trip and the following scenario. 1 room for myself, DH and DD (age 4). All on Deluxe Dining. Are we going to be able to just order two adult meals or one adult meal, one child meal, to share among the three of us? Knowing that the credits are pooled, we were going to try to maximize the number of meals. Are the DxDP credits still undifferentiated?

Is there a rule against one person ordering two meals? Specifically, when someone else at the same table, but on a different check/bill is not hungry and only orders only a drink for themselves?
Sounds like Disney is going to need to add this rule to the policy. Otherwise they're going to have to stand at the table and make sure that the person who orders the food actually eats all of it.

That looks like the rule they are trying to implement. One person on plan = only one meal can be ordered.

I have an upcoming trip and the following scenario. 1 room for myself, DH and DD (age 4). All on Deluxe Dining. Are we going to be able to just order two adult meals or one adult meal, one child meal, to share among the three of us? Knowing that the credits are pooled, we were going to try to maximize the number of meals. Are the DxDP credits still undifferentiated?

At least for now, the credits are all still the same, BUT since they can see exactly who is on the plan, that means they know you have child credits. It might not take much for them to begin to track them and make those child credits true child credits. That is NOT happening right now and no one has said anything about being told they couldn't use child credits for adult meals.

While the ability to use your credits to purchase meals for those not on your plan SHOULD have been addressed by Disney publicly somehow, if they begin to track adult/child usage, that doesn't have to be addressed because the PDFs all state that kid's must order from the kid's menu.

So this has been a topic I’ve been / was closely watching. We are currently on vacation at WDW. I was going to wait to give a report till we returned. However since there are so few actual
reports coming in I decided to report our actual DxDP experiences to date and will try to give a daily update for the remainder of our trip.

For starters our dinning party is not all on our resort reservation. We have met friends and family and have had a different size and child/adult make up each time. Our dinning party has always exceeded the number on our resort reservation.

The credits at this point are still pooled. (adult/ child)

We have eaten so far at Boma, Mama Melrose, The Wave, Storybook Dinning at Artist Point and San Angel. We paid OOP for the lunch at Wave and dinner at Mama Melrose (only had apps)

At San Angel I explicitly asked our server before we ordered anything if it was ok if I shared my credits with our friends. ...her response was “of course, no problem”.

At both Boma and Artist Point we were asked once seated if we had any dinning plan. I indicated we had the DxDP and then I said I wanted to use X amount of credits and pay for Y meals OOP. They scanned my band, I entered my pin. They only cared that I had enough credits to cover what I requested. They paid no attention to the size of the actual resort party (clearly shows on their screen) nor did they make any comment that the child /adult split didn’t match our actual dinning party. (At Boma we were actually using a “child credit” to cover an adult meal, and at San Angel the reverse)

So to this early point of our vacation we’ve had no issues with “sharing”.

I sure hope our remaining days go as well. For us, there is both a convenience and cost savings factor in having the flexibility to use the DxDP credits freely.

We have three more meals where we’ll be using DxDP, for which I’ll report back. Chef Mickey’s, Crystal Palace, and Rose & Crown.

I think there has been pushback on this because of people using a child credit for an adult. People use to think that it was a loophole because they simply couldn't tell which credit was which, when clearly they know who is on the dining plan (whether the info their machine displays is new or it has been that way the whole time is debabtable) and they simply chose not to enforce the rule that has always been stated that children must order from a children's menu when available. Where Disney's logic is to say no sharing as opposed to them just enforcing the child credits be used for children's meals is a bit silly. I don't think disney loses money sharing, which is maybe why the took out the wording in the first place. Maybe they figured with more flexibility, more people would buy it. I think this is really about child credits for adult meals and an easy fix for that is start enforcing that rule...people cant argue when it's stated and they all damn well know they are doing it.

So correct me if I'm wrong but so far people are only having problems at two connecting restaurants. 50's and Hollywood and vine. Could it just be one not so nice manager?

So correct me if I'm wrong but so far people are only having problems at two connecting restaurants. 50's and Hollywood and vine. Could it just be one not so nice manager?
Here is the list of another posters actual experience:

We ate at: cape May. Raglan Road. Maya grill. Trex. Askerhus. Le cellier Chefs de France. Rainforest cafe. Rix sports bar. Planet Hollywood. House of blues. California Grill. Whispering canyon. Hollywood and vine. Brian derby. Tutto. Paradiso. Be our guest breakfast and lunch. (These really were no issue). Cinderella’s royal table. Liberty tree tavern. Mama Melrose. Sci fi. San Angel. 50’s prime time. Crystal palace. We were there for 14 nights.

50’s was an absolute no along with house of blues California Grill, tutto and Paradiso. The rest all required manager approval.

Like I mentioned in my brief report we had no trouble of any sort at Boma Artist Point and San Angel.

I will be reporting on Crystal Palace, Rose and Crown and Chef Mickeys over the next few days.

Interested to see how this pans out. We have a trip in May and was going to suggest sharing the DxDP with my parents but if it's going to be an issue I don't want to do that. We shared the plan in the past with no issues with my SIL's family, and when I divided the credits I would even divide the child credits so we were not using child credits for adults. To me, Disney makes more money because if not for sharing the plan we would have done 50% less table service for my family and I'm not sure what they would have done but it would have been drastically less as well. I fail to see how Disney loses money if each person is using a credit that is already paid for, and let's face it, with the way prices increase Disney is not losing money on much of anything. Now stretching the credits by ordering 3 meals for 5 people or using child credits for adults I understand and they should close those loopholes if they feel it is such a big deal. I still remember the first time we used the dining plan, it included the app and tip and it was under $40 a day per person, food supply costs have not increased over 290% in the last 13 years.

We head out tomorrow and didn’t change our dining plan from DxDDP. We are going to try to “gift” credits to my parents at the following places:

- BOG lunch
- O’hana
- Akershus breakfast
- La Hacienda

I’ll report back on what happens! I planned the whole trip, so I told my sales guy husband that his job was to make this work for us!

Let us know how you make out. I don’t want to create a hassle for servers which then slows everything down for other diners not to mention makes my blood pressure go up on vacation!

This is not a let’s debate the dining plan rules. Strictly trying to figure out what, if anything, has changed. Removed unnecessary posts

This is not a let’s debate the dining plan rules. Strictly trying to figure out what, if anything, has changed. Removed unnecessary posts
Is it possible (I know nothing about managing / moderating boards) to
have a list at top of this thread compiling individual restaurant results? Three columns...successful share, successful with managers consent, and unsuccessful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!