2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20!

I just heard the Holiday Season ad on the radio for the first time yesterday! Seems funny to be thinking about the Holidays, when we're still gearing up for Halloween! :rotfl:

This will be our second trip to Disneyland, but our first during holiday time. We will be there from January 3-6, staying at the Grand Californian.

What are the holiday happenings that we shouldn’t miss?

Take the money you saved from not doing the Plaza Inn package and use it (!) for a F! dining package (which is totally worth doing). The F! dining packages have the best viewing with the least wait time -- centered, right up by the water. The most economical package is at Hungry Bear. You can order off the dining package or the regular menu (you'll still pay the package price no matter what you order). If you do the first F! show, you'll be invited to stay in your viewing area for the fireoworks right afterward (if there are fireworks that night). F! originated at DL -- you're going to love this show!

Just double checking that I've gotten this right - we've booked the Hungry Bear package for the Saturday, and looking at the menu, there's not one thing listed on the F! menu that my 6-year old will eat however there are things on the regular menu - he can definitely order off that menu as long as we pay the package price? Also, we just stay in the same area as the F! viewing for the fireworks, and we'll be able to see from there?

Will there be any special dining options on Christmas Day?

A CM told me crowds are much lighter before thanksgiving to view everything Christmas. Thoughts?

Will they do the Christmas parade and fireworks during the week or weekends only?????

Will there be any special dining options on Christmas Day?

A CM told me crowds are much lighter before thanksgiving to view everything Christmas. Thoughts?

Will they do the Christmas parade and fireworks during the week or weekends only?????
There will be Christmas meals at DLH, Storytellers and I would imagine other restaurants. They are pricey and sell out well in advance so be on the lookout for when those open for reservations.

The crowds are much lighter before Thanksgiving. They are also pretty light on weekdays during the first 2 weeks of December.

I'm pretty sure I've watched the Christmas parade on weekdays during December. I don't know if they run it weekdays in November. The calendar should be up in the next couple weeks.

There will be Christmas meals at DLH, Storytellers and I would imagine other restaurants. They are pricey and sell out well in advance so be on the lookout for when those open for reservations.

The crowds are much lighter before Thanksgiving. They are also pretty light on weekdays during the first 2 weeks of December.

I'm pretty sure I've watched the Christmas parade on weekdays during December. I don't know if they run it weekdays in November. The calendar should be up in the next couple weeks.

Thank you so much for the information! Very helpful!!! Will they open reservations at the normal 60 day window, which would be 10/25?

I’ll keep an eye out for the calendar. Thanks!

Just double checking that I've gotten this right - we've booked the Hungry Bear package for the Saturday, and looking at the menu, there's not one thing listed on the F! menu that my 6-year old will eat however there are things on the regular menu - he can definitely order off that menu as long as we pay the package price? Also, we just stay in the same area as the F! viewing for the fireworks, and we'll be able to see from there?
Yes, You can order off the regular menu. Last time I was there it was a new cashier helping us. At first she didn't want to let us order off the regular menu, but I kindly asked for a supervisor who came over and corrected her. After F! ends, there will be an announcement to stand and stay in your place if you want to watch the fireworks from there. I would recommend staying versus trying to move because there's just so much congestion. The view was just fine, especially if you're right up the rail.

This report about last year's CP give lots of information: Candlelight Processional with Chris Pratt - photos and audio Saturday 5:30 showing.
The general crowds are not allowed any further back than just in front of the Emporium and Disney Showcase. Even being back at Carnation Cafe would be too far back on Main Street.

FYI: For those interested in seeing CP, some instagrammers are saying that the choirs start at IASW. This hasn't happened in several years, at least. They now start on Main Street, by the Hub, by the camera shop. If you camp out by IASW waiting to see the choirs, you'll miss them. I'll double check with my choir friends to see where they'll be starting from this year.

Great info as always, thank you. Do you have any thoughts on the overall CP/Fireworks crowd plan?

Is it similar to a parade? Does the choir return to the Hub after the 2nd show and the crowds on the sidewalks/Town Square fill Main Street behind the choir (followed by a CM rope)?

Or does the choir exit the gate next to The Mad Hatter (or other exit)? This would assume Main Street fills in after the choir processes from the Hub to the 2nd CP, and remains full until the fireworks, with sidewalks and overflows used for entry/exit.

Does anyone know why they’ve stopped updating the park hours? They were being updated on time up until a few days ago, so now November 24-28th are open to click on and have the parade times (on their website) but don’t have the park hours. Is anyone else seeing that?

Yes, You can order off the regular menu. Last time I was there it was a new cashier helping us. At first she didn't want to let us order off the regular menu, but I kindly asked for a supervisor who came over and corrected her. After F! ends, there will be an announcement to stand and stay in your place if you want to watch the fireworks from there. I would recommend staying versus trying to move because there's just so much congestion. The view was just fine, especially if you're right up the rail.
That's great, thank you so much! That's one evening planned at least!

Hi Disers!! Has anyone been to DL the weekend after Thanksgiving or the weekend before Christmas and can give me any input on crowd levels? Or is Christmastime just equally busy all around from Nov to New Years? We are looking at booking a trip and the weekends that work best are the day after Thanksgiving the 29th to Dec. 1st OR Fri Dec 20th to Sunday Dec. 22? Its just a short 3 day trip and we are not sure which option would be best. Thanks in advance!! :)

I'm trying to decide between those 2 time-frames in 2020, so I'm interested in responses too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!