2019 Holiday Time at DLR Superthread: 11/08/19 - 1/06/20!

For the AP offer above (ride Radiator Springs Racers after park close), can both my husband and I do this if only I have an AP and he doesn't?

... From last year's posts, it seems that the CP starts about 5. So, it seems like it would be best to camp out by the Fire Station for the Parade and then stay for the CP? Any insight would be appreciated!...
See the posts below for information on viewing CP. There will be 2 shows each night on the 7th and the 8th (approx. 5:30 & 8 pm). NB that what the map calls "General Seating" is actually standing viewing, for the most part. Chairs are for invited guests. So be prepared to stand.

I have been attending the Candlelight Processional for years now, always getting there early to try to see my friend who sings in the Processional.

I've written plenty of Trip Reports about our days at the park during Candlelight. You might be able to gleam some information from it.
http://flowerstales.blogspot.com/search?q=candlelight

I also put together this map a few years ago about where you can sit.
Candlelight2014-seats-100.jpg

Regarding the second showing. As soon as the Processional Passes down Main Street for the first show, the queues go up on Main Street for the second show. They fill up pretty quickly, so if you are thinking the second show is for you, you'll need to be in that area before the first show starts. Cast members will completely clear out the viewing area after the first show before ushering people in.
This report about last year's CP give lots of information: Candlelight Processional with Chris Pratt - photos and audio Saturday 5:30 showing.
The general crowds are not allowed any further back than just in front of the Emporium and Disney Showcase. Even being back at Carnation Cafe would be too far back on Main Street.

FYI: For those interested in seeing CP, some instagrammers are saying that the choirs start at IASW. This hasn't happened in several years, at least. They now start on Main Street, by the Hub, by the camera shop. If you camp out by IASW waiting to see the choirs, you'll miss them. I'll double check with my choir friends to see where they'll be starting from this year.

Hello,

I notice there is a parade in DCAP as well and I wondered how it compares to the one in Disneyland?
Thanks for any info.
I don't think this is a parade. (The Festival of Holidays food booths line the DCA parade route, so it isn't really possible to have a full parade in DCA during Holiday Time.) The Disney Parks Blog describes this as more of a dance party which takes place at Paradise Gardens and Carthay Circle:
This year for Disney Festival of Holidays, there’s an all-new character celebration, “Mickey’s Happy Holidays.” Twice daily, a cheerful celebration featuring favorite Disney and Pixar characters enters the park to a mix of high-energy music, as you’re invited to dance along with Mickey Mouse and pals to the magically merry rhythms of the Holiday Toy Drummers. Look for them at the Paradise Gardens Park Obelisk and Carthay Circle, where everyone can sing and dance along!

Festive New Performances and Returning Favorites Come to Disney Festival of Holidays at Disney California Adventure Park

Last edited:
For the AP offer above (ride Radiator Springs Racers after park close), can both my husband and I do this if only I have an AP and he doesn't?
Whenever we've done things like this, CMs check for and scan your AP when you enter the area (since it will be after park closing) and when you enter the line. If your husband doesn't have a valid AP, which the tweet says is required, then I think you will be the only one allowed to participate.

We are heading to Disneyland on December 6-7 (California Adventure on the 6th and Disneyland on the 7th). We are excited about the Candlelight Processional, although it is something we hadn't heard of before planning for this trip. From what I understand, the Park is moving the Parades to 12:45 and 3:15. From last year's posts, it seems that the CP starts about 5. So, it seems like it would be best to camp out by the Fire Station for the Parade and then stay for the CP?
You can try to do that, but normally they clear out the area. There will be lots of seating set up for Club 33 members and this whole area will be jam packed. I know there are people on this forum who do manage to get a spot for CP. You may end up needing to make a new thread to get the attention to the question and hopefully someone with experience will see it.
On another note, my DW really wants to watch the Parade "at night", so another option would be to get Park Hopper tickets to see the Friday Parade at 6
I haven't seen the Holiday parade at night in a long time. Gosh, I loved it so much. I don't know about paying extra for that. It's really good during the day, but it's magical at night. Even though I'd much rather see it at night, I don't think it's worth $220. It's a very personal call, though.

Whenever we've done things like this, CMs check for and scan your AP when you enter the area (since it will be after park closing) and when you enter the line. If your husband doesn't have a valid AP, which the tweet says is required, then I think you will be the only one allowed to participate.

Thanks!

Hi All,

We are going to be traveling to DLR December 6 and 7. We are spending the 6th in CA and the 7th in DLR. We just found out about the Candlelight Processional and are very excited. We are primarily going to soak in the Christmas atmosphere as this is our first time for Christmas. From what I understand, they have moved the Parade times to 12:45 and 3:15. Although they don't have the CP on their schedule, from other threads, it seems that it takes place at 5:00. So, what would be the best strategy for enjoying both activities? Would it make sense to grab firehouse spots and then wait for the CP? Or will they clear out the area pretty quickly in order to set up for the CP? I'm just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!

UGH!!
I might be a dissenting opinion here, but I HATE the CP at DL! The stage is set up in front of the train station on Main Street so it shuts a big chunk of the park down while it is going on. Everything near the parade route (Small World to to Main Street Station) is shut down during the processional (Small World, Alice, Matterhorn, etc - I think even the Monorail). Everything within ear-shot is shut down during the performance (the train, monorail, and Jungle Cruise). By ear-shot I mean anything that can be HEARD from the stage, and yes, you can hear the horn from the monorail and the guns from the hippo pond on Jungle Cruise. Then there is the crowd on Main Street. They sell it like everyone gets to watch, but if you try to leave during the performance you are stuck. Remember that the monorail and train are also closed - you have to force your way through the crowd that is watching and has no intention to even budge to let you through.

So yeah, we mark the CP dates on the calendar so we can avoid being there. Enjoy if that's your thing though.

Hi All,

We are going to be traveling to DLR December 6 and 7. We are spending the 6th in CA and the 7th in DLR. We just found out about the Candlelight Processional and are very excited. We are primarily going to soak in the Christmas atmosphere as this is our first time for Christmas. From what I understand, they have moved the Parade times to 12:45 and 3:15. Although they don't have the CP on their schedule, from other threads, it seems that it takes place at 5:00. So, what would be the best strategy for enjoying both activities? Would it make sense to grab firehouse spots and then wait for the CP? Or will they clear out the area pretty quickly in order to set up for the CP? I'm just want to know what to expect.

Thanks!
First Candlelight Processional will be 5:30, second is 7:45p. The parade will be diverted and will not pass by the firehouse. It will turn at the Showcase and head down Main St from there.

People will start staking out places early in the day. Your best bet might be to try for the second processional as you can line up and once they clear the area for the first show, you can move in without waiting the whole day.

UGH!!
I might be a dissenting opinion here, but I HATE the CP at DL! The stage is set up in front of the train station on Main Street so it shuts a big chunk of the park down while it is going on. Everything near the parade route (Small World to to Main Street Station) is shut down during the processional (Small World, Alice, Matterhorn, etc - I think even the Monorail). Everything within ear-shot is shut down during the performance (the train, monorail, and Jungle Cruise). By ear-shot I mean anything that can be HEARD from the stage, and yes, you can hear the horn from the monorail and the guns from the hippo pond on Jungle Cruise. Then there is the crowd on Main Street. They sell it like everyone gets to watch, but if you try to leave during the performance you are stuck. Remember that the monorail and train are also closed - you have to force your way through the crowd that is watching and has no intention to even budge to let you through.

So yeah, we mark the CP dates on the calendar so we can avoid being there. Enjoy if that's your thing though.
It may have been a while since you have been there on a CP weekend. The choirs now line up in the Tomorrowland Theater, and start the processional closer to the Hub. It no longer goes thru Fantasyland. Only thing shut down is the train from about 4p. They do stop the guns on Jungle Cruise during the performance, but the ride continues with the skippers doing their "bang bang" like they did before when there was an issue years ago. Monorail is open, but is very crowded. Yes, Main St from Emporium to under the tracks is rough, but I have done it (took about 20 mins.) CMs do a good job at traffic control, and areas are taped off, adn if you aren't in the taped area, you have to keep moving.

We've been doing Candlelight every year since about 2007. We really enjoy it. We will be there again this year.

Thank you! If we were planning on staking out a place for the second processional, where would be a good place to stake out a spot for two adults and two kids?

First Candlelight Processional will be 5:30, second is 7:45p. The parade will be diverted and will not pass by the firehouse. It will turn at the Showcase and head down Main St from there.

People will start staking out places early in the day. Your best bet might be to try for the second processional as you can line up and once they clear the area for the first show, you can move in without waiting the whole day.

Thank you! If we were planning on staking out a place for the second processional, where would be a good place to stake out a spot for two adults and two kids?

For the second processional you will queue on Main Street (literally in the street. They have sections taped off) and once invited guests are seated they will pull from this queue to fill in the standing viewing sections on either side (and some lucky guests may even get pulled to sit in seats that are not taken). I was in the area and decided on a whim to go to the second performance on Sunday last year and arrived at the park a little before 6. The first performance was underway and I was able to get in line for the second one. I got in a queue in the street outside Market House because I wanted to be on the "house left" side. Ended up almost at the front of the standing viewing section outside Mr. Lincoln and missed getting an actual seat by just a few people. I enjoyed CP much more than I thought I would and was very glad I went.

I believe they don't start to allow formal queuing for the second show until after the processional has passed for the first performance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!