2019 IndyCar Season

hertamaniac

DIS Veteran
Who's stoked? 2 new tracks, some new rookies and am ready! NBC Gold looks like a decent deal for streaming content too.

Go Colton!

Things are looking up! Colton has been fast in testing. Hope Alonso gets a good ride for Indy. It was cool to see him take a win at Daytona with our friends at Wayne Taylor Racing.

Things are looking up! Colton has been fast in testing. Hope Alonso gets a good ride for Indy. It was cool to see him take a win at Daytona with our friends at Wayne Taylor Racing.

I feel bad for O'Ward. He has that $1M sponsorship from IndyCar, but last week was told his team has no money.

That looks like a fun track (it used to be night race)! I think every seat at that track gives a great view.

We're going to Barber this year. I've done St. Pete for about a decade and it needs a new configuration for overtaking.

We get to do the Cadillac Corral every year at Detroit. Get to park right on the island, food and drinks all weekend, paddock passes, reserved seating and a few laps on the track.

We get to do the Cadillac Corral every year at Detroit. Get to park right on the island, food and drinks all weekend, paddock passes, reserved seating and a few laps on the track.

Sweet. Do they let you pick up any speed on the track, or is it just "pace laps"? I'm lucky enough to have raced at a bunch of tracks, and Barber Motorsports Park is one. It's really fun and gives a great perspective when I watch Indy cars run it.

As for Indycar itself, I love racing (except F1...boring) but struggle to really get too deep into Indy. Too few cars, they're too fragile. NASCAR is facing challenges themselves, but I still prefer their style of racing, despite being a road course guy myself.

Since the IRL/CART split a number of years ago, most fans & sponsors have lost interest. Their petty squabbles and clash of egos did nothing to improve the sport. Now is it mostly a 'spec' racing series with a few chassis & engine combinations. They also don't have races every week like NASCAR, so the season is a disjointed series of unrelated races and TV sponsors. I agree F1 boring (regardless of what the announcers say), with the cars mostly driving around in single file, very little passing or actual 'racing'. The HUGE sums of money paid to their drivers seems way out of line. NASCAR also has it's own issues and the constant rules changes makes it hard to figure out.

All racing struggles with how to consistently have a level playing field so it isn't just the teams with the biggest budget who win all the races, while still keeping fans interested. They have also raised ticket prices to the point where many just don't see the value and either stay home to watch on TV or move on to other sports.

Sweet. Do they let you pick up any speed on the track, or is it just "pace laps"?

Actually got to go fast enough to be fun. The first year (2012) was crazy. They had 7 CTS-V company cars. They chose 7 guests and basically just tossed us the keys, then the Pace Car driver said "Try to keep up" and took off! That was a blast. Ever since then we have to sign waivers and sit through a safety meeting.

We got the VIP package for Barber this year which includes track time. Not exactly sure what that is, but the last time I was on a race track was when I drove a Formula Ford open-wheeler at Nazareth Speedway.

I've been to Belle Isle, but not for a race. I'd travel to Detroit for business/conventions several times a year, but never on a race weekend. It was cool to drive my rental on "the track" and over the rumble strips.

IndyCar has a spec. chassis this year with Honda or Chevrolet engines. At least Firestone just signed on until 2025.

I worked with two (2) F1 teams on the KERS development/analysis about 6+ years ago; it was a career highlight for sure.

IndyCar is offering NBC Sports Gold at $49 this year and I am going to fork over the money. I do wish they broadcast some of these practice/qualifying sessions live via YouTube, but not going to happen this year. Build the fan base using free streaming and then consider charging to premium content.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter