2019 Pool Hopping Restrictions

In all my years at Disney World, and all my many dozens of visits, I have never yet gone to one of their pools. It isn't that I don't like pools and swimming, but it comes in much lower on my list than almost everything else that I do at Disney World. However, hearing everyone talk about it, I really think I am going to need to try some of the pools at our October trip. We will be staying at Jambo House, but I have a 7 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old grand children. Should I plan on taking them over to the Kidani pool, or will the Jambo pool be okay? What are the differences, and why would I prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Well, the last time we were at BLT....do not remember when exactly, but you did need your band to open gate. At Poly last month, we would walk through the pool area to refill mugs, and I honestly do not remember if I needed the band. I just asked DH, he said you needed it.
When we were at BLT in December, you needed a MB to get through the pool gate. It was a split with Poly, same thing there. I happen to like that system, much better than having the pools open, as then the resort guests have much more difficult a time of finding an available chair. I am hoping that at Riviera and all future pools within DVC that a MB is required.:goodvibes

In all my years at Disney World, and all my many dozens of visits, I have never yet gone to one of their pools. It isn't that I don't like pools and swimming, but it comes in much lower on my list than almost everything else that I do at Disney World. However, hearing everyone talk about it, I really think I am going to need to try some of the pools at our October trip. We will be staying at Jambo House, but I have a 7 year old, 4 year old and 3 year old grand children. Should I plan on taking them over to the Kidani pool, or will the Jambo pool be okay? What are the differences, and why would I prefer one over the other? Thanks.

Jambo has the largest pool at WDW and a nice big pool deck with plenty of chairs and shade from foliage. The downside is the water slide there is pretty lame. Kidani has a much better water slide and a great kids splash play area, but the pool itself is more basic. Might as well check out both!

I think the water play area at Kidani beats Jambos pool. As an adult, I prefer the pool at Jambo. We never bothered to go to the other building’s pool when we are at AKV.

Do any of the pools have locked gates, fences now? I read where Disney was going to stop that because of insurance purposes in regards to EMTs, firemen, ect getting to the pool quickly.
Personally, I like MB access. If not, pools become over crowded and chairs are next to impossible to secure.:eek:

We stayed at Kidani many years ago, but with adult kids. I commented that the kids playscape area was very cute. We like both pools, but prefer Jambo as we enjoy being close to Mara.

Personally, I like MB access. If not, pools become over crowded and chairs are next to impossible to secure.:eek:
I agree, but I really though I read where Disney was discontinuing it because of the possibility of needing the emergency workers quick entry into the area. Ya, I know some don't play where they paid and that sucks.

Thank you. This is the first I hear of this benefit, so it's good to understand the rules.
It's written in the post I did earlier in this thread. Post #2. Those are the DVC rules for Pool hopping.

I wish they'd get rid of pool hopping altogether. I don't understand why it's really a perk, and they don't really seem to have a great system in place for managing it.
I have never had to use my magic band to enter the AKV pool area, so I don't really know how they restricted access despite it (formerly) being on the restricted list.

Pool hopping has never really interested me before - there's something to like about all of the pools, IMO, and I'm not really interested in going to and from another resort in my swim gear. But on our upcoming June trip, we were thinking of hopping to the GF for their Alice in Wonderland kids water slide play area thing since we'll be staying at BLT, and it's something my 2 year old would enjoy. Looks like that's out - but what about the Wilderness Lodge one? Is the kiddie slide thing in the same area as the Copper Creek pool that is off limits? Or is it considered something different?

We have never pool hopped either. We are going in July this year and planning for a lot of pool time, so we may try it out. Excited to to try the AKL pools.

Pool hopping has never really interested me before - there's something to like about all of the pools, IMO, and I'm not really interested in going to and from another resort in my swim gear. But on our upcoming June trip, we were thinking of hopping to the GF for their Alice in Wonderland kids water slide play area thing since we'll be staying at BLT, and it's something my 2 year old would enjoy. Looks like that's out - but what about the Wilderness Lodge one? Is the kiddie slide thing in the same area as the Copper Creek pool that is off limits? Or is it considered something different?
My understanding is the Splash Pad/Play Area at Wilderness Lodge/Copper Creek/Boulder Ridge is off limits since it is apart of the Copper Creek Springs Pool.

Ever since copper creek opened both pools (and the kiddie area) have been on the restricted list for pool hopping. Certainly it wouldn’t be that convenient from BLT but SSR and AKL kidani have cute kids splash areas with slides at their pools. AKL is no longer listed on the restricted pools. Of course you’d have to walk over to MK and hop a bus to either of those so not nearly as convenient as a MK resort.

I’ve hopped and see the benefit, but I’m glad they took GF off. (Though are we sure they took the villa pool off, with that wording? Seems to just be the main hotel pool mentioned) Even in February those pools are packed.

Gotcha.

If we travel with my sister (who is a member) and stay with her points, but in separate villas, would we be considered her guests and allowed to pool hop with her?

I would actually disagree with Deb and say they would allow this. But she has to be with you.

We were at the Grand last week, and the pools were jammed! We couldn’t have fit any hoppers in that pool if we tried with a shoehorn!!
We were there last weekend as well. Did a last minute split stay (stalked like crazy) and got Saturday night AKL and Sunday GF. We liked GF a lot better and was more our speed. I guess 5 double bourbons and a nap does that to you.

Ever since copper creek opened both pools (and the kiddie area) have been on the restricted list for pool hopping. Certainly it wouldn’t be that convenient from BLT but SSR and AKL kidani have cute kids splash areas with slides at their pools. AKL is no longer listed on the restricted pools. Of course you’d have to walk over to MK and hop a bus to either of those so not nearly as convenient as a MK resort.

Yeah we'll probably skip the trip all the way to SSR and OKW. We love the SSR pools with our kids, but if we're all the way over at BLT, we'll stick to that "side of town." Ha.

My understanding is the Splash Pad/Play Area at Wilderness Lodge/Copper Creek/Boulder Ridge is off limits since it is apart of the Copper Creek Springs Pool.

That's what I figured. But it's weird that for GF it says "all pools" and for the others it it lists them individually. We'll stick to our resort as usual. We're doing our last 2 nights at OKW which has a great pool for my 5 year old, but not so much for my 2 year old. If we feel like it, we'll take her to POFQ which also has a kids slide area.

DVC members who are fans of quiet pools could consider breaking up their EPCOT/HS days by unwinding for an hour or two at the Boardwalk Inn quiet pool (behind ESPN), the Boardwalk DVC quiet pool next to the Community Hall, the Beach Club quiet pool closest to the International Gateway, or the Yacht Club quiet pool -- none of which appear to be on the prescribed list for pool hopping. We have used 3 of the 4 I mention and had a really relaxing time out of the parks without having to take buses back to our own resort.

Jambo has the largest pool at WDW and a nice big pool deck with plenty of chairs and shade from foliage. The downside is the water slide there is pretty lame. Kidani has a much better water slide and a great kids splash play area, but the pool itself is more basic. Might as well check out both!

I think the water play area at Kidani beats Jambos pool. As an adult, I prefer the pool at Jambo. We never bothered to go to the other building’s pool when we are at AKV.

Thank you! It really does sound like fun. I will definitely make it a point to take my family to both pools while we are there.

DVC members who are fans of quiet pools could consider breaking up their EPCOT/HS days by unwinding for an hour or two at the Boardwalk Inn quiet pool (behind ESPN), the Boardwalk DVC quiet pool next to the Community Hall, the Beach Club quiet pool closest to the International Gateway, or the Yacht Club quiet pool -- none of which appear to be on the prescribed list for pool hopping. We have used 3 of the 4 I mention and had a really relaxing time out of the parks without having to take buses back to our own resort.

This. If you throw a swimsuit in your backpack, you can easily swim at a resort near the park you're at if you need an afternoon break. Sometimes it just takes too long to bus back to your resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!