2019 Princess Half Marathon Weekend

Hello from my gate at BWI as I sit here praying and crossing my fingers. I don’t think I’ll feel better until we’re in the air!

Saw the merch preview last night before I left. The ears are cute so might grab a pair of those. We’ll see. I’ll get an I did it shirt. I’m not sure if I’ll get much else. Maybe a tervis water bottle as I love them, but I also have a million of them...

I hope we see the event shirts today!!

Hello from my gate at BWI as I sit here praying and crossing my fingers. I don’t think I’ll feel better until we’re in the air!

Saw the merch preview last night before I left. The ears are cute so might grab a pair of those. We’ll see. I’ll get an I did it shirt. I’m not sure if I’ll get much else. Maybe a tervis water bottle as I love them, but I also have a million of them...
Safe travels to you and everyone else and I hope you don’t have issues! I leave tomorrow and will feel so much relief once I’m on my way too. So much stress lately. I’ll feel better once we take off, but not 100% relief until we land in Orlando.

I like the water bottle too but I also have too many things like that and definitely don’t need it. We’ll see if I can utilize some self control. :p

Only thing that interests me slightly is the headband and the ears, which I don't need and probably won't be there Friday afternoon!

What is interesting is the pin/magnets shown. I asked RD specifically if the preorders would be available at the expo and was told "Please know, these items are only available during the registration process and will not be available during the runDisney Health & Fitness Expo." I am going to be fairly annoyed if it is all the same stuff, widely available and I got duped out of my discount. If they had just said, preorder guarantees you the merchandise, I still may have bought and looked at it like insurance. But, I was told it would not be available without preorder.
The pins and magnets are the same for pre-order and what they sell at the expo. There have been times in the past that a pin or jacket sold out so fast that unless you preordered you couldn't buy it at the expo. But, for marathon weekend there was plenty of pins and magnets. Every weekend seems to be different on what stock they have.

Every weekend seems to be different on what stock they have.
Amen
In the 3 years I’ve done W&D 2016 had pins on Friday afternoon (though none for the 10k but that was due to the printing errors) 2017 I got two pins and a tervis at character warehouse a few weeks later and this last year pretty much everything was wiped out by the end of the expo (pins were gone allegedly by late Thursday....I did expo early in the day and preordered that year so...)

Upgraded to the challenge today! I’ll likely end up in the last corral for the 10K due to late registration. Has anyone here raced via a DLS (dead last start)? If I’m in the last corral I thought it might be a fun challenge since I’m back there anyways. Lol

Woo hoo!! You go girl!! Were you just registered for the half before?

I haven't started from the very very back, but I think I was like 3rd from the back at W&D a few years ago and still had to weave through a lot of people... It thins out after a few miles! You lose a lot of walkers if you're running the whole thing! Good luck!

Last edited:
Since the D&B bags were available pre-order what do you think the chances are of any still being available Friday afternoon?

So the 5k is my first race ever. (This time last year I couldn’t run for 3 consecutive minutes- just to give you an idea of how inexperienced I am.)
I’m from Pennsylvania and have been running there. I just got back from my first Florida heat run and could only make it slightly over 2 miles before I had to walk. The combo of my head cold and the heat really got me.
Any advice for me for Friday’s run? I was thinking of maybe walking the first mile-ish so that I can finish running. But I’m welcome to any advice you experts have...

No real advice other than make sure you hydrate hydrate hydrate. I also wouldn't try to over do it. If your body is telling you to slow and walk then listen.

Congratulations on your great progress. I couldn't run 3 minutes today if my life depended on it. I will be the walker turning blue asking myself what was I thinking??? Have a great race!!

Reactions: BFD
So the 5k is my first race ever. (This time last year I couldn’t run for 3 consecutive minutes- just to give you an idea of how inexperienced I am.)
I’m from Pennsylvania and have been running there. I just got back from my first Florida heat run and could only make it slightly over 2 miles before I had to walk. The combo of my head cold and the heat really got me.
Any advice for me for Friday’s run? I was thinking of maybe walking the first mile-ish so that I can finish running. But I’m welcome to any advice you experts have...

Just slow it down. Slow down your running pace so that you aren't really noticing your breathing at all. Take it suuuuper easy. I run in this Florida weather all the time and had to learn to deal with it (as a new runner too) all through last summer. It's mostly the humidity that gets you, but since this race will be in the dark it shouldn't be too bad. At least you won't have the sun beating down...that's a huge reason why even now, I try to get out there while it's still dark. If your last Florida run was in the sunshine, then that's something you won't have to worry about this time.

Learning that I have more than 2 speeds (run and walk) and how to drop it down into a lower pace if I need to really helped get me through my first year of running. The advice I usually have gotten and try to follow is keep it slower for the first parts of the race, then pick up the pace for the end if you're feeling it.

Congrats on your first race! Hope you love it. :)

Definitely go slower than you *think* you should / can run! You should be able to hold a conversation while running. ( Maybe not easily, but still... )
There's water/ Gatorade stops on the course- use them! If you don't think it's enough, carry a handheld.
My only other advice is to drink a Gatorade/ Powerade the night before AND the morning of to make sure I'm hydrated! Even if I have to pee a lot! I like Powerade Zero- not as sugary sweet as Gatorade so it doesn't upset my stomach. But be careful if you've never used these things before. Maybe don't drink it the morning of!!
Good luck!

Its going to be rough - lots of hydration the night before (water) and know that you are going to get more tired much quicker as your HR will be working double time to keep you cool. Heat adaption is a process.

Well, I’m pulling myself from this weekend’s festivities. I had a MRI on Monday and got my results today. I have a stress fracture in the femoral neck. Exact location and more details are in my training journal or the 2019 running thread. I will be contacting RunDisney to see if they will show me some mercy, but I’m not holding my breath.

I placed an order from fluffy fizzies for expo pick up so I may still head over there tomorrow.

Looking forward to reading all your race stories!!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!