2019 Stanley Cup Playoffs anyone?

I've seen all my teams win a championship. But never at the same time. As the Bruins look to win a cup I'm so annoyed at the Celtics for not being able to join the Boston championship party. If the Bruins win I guess 3 at the same time will be cool.

If the Bruins win the Cup, I believe it would be the first time in "modern history" that a city has three reigning champions. In 1935-36, Detroit had the champions in MLB, NFL, and NHL. No NBA at the time. No city has ever had all champions in all four major sports leagues at the same time.

Cities that have won titles in the NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB in modern times. (I'm basing it on 1967-68, the start of the Super Bowl and expansion in hockey from the Original Six.)

Boston-Bruins, Celtics, Red Sox, Patriots.
New York-Rangers, Knicks, Yankees, Mets, Giants, Jets. Add the Islanders and Devils too.
Chicago-Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, White Sox, Bears.
Philadelphia-Flyers, 76ers, Phillies, Eagles.
Los Angeles-Kings, Ducks, Lakers, Dodgers, Angels, Raiders. (Not the Rams and Clippers.)

Last edited:
The way I saw it is he hit it with his hand and his team got an advantage so it should have been called. They even gave him an assist on the goal.

Reactions: eva
The way I saw it is he hit it with his hand and his team got an advantage so it should have been called. They even gave him an assist on the goal.
And Perron (who then went on to score in the time where he should have been serving a penalty) clearly flipped the puck into the net over the glass. And just like in OT all the officials huddled up and asked if anyone saw a violation. Those are the breaks.

Also, Justin Braun got rocked in the head by Sammy Blais. Pretty sure that should have been a major.

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comments/bp6yyh/sammy_blais_hits_justin_braun/

Last edited:

So your basic point is the refereeing in the NHL is garbage. Okay I agree.

It's a little more nuanced than that with this particular call. Placing a glove on the puck isn't in and of itself illegal outside of the defensive zone. Calling it is a judgement call on the part of the officials, since a player can then try to play it with his stick or even another part of the body, skate, etc. and it would be legal. Meier is clearly trying to play the puck with his stick after the glove contact. Not only that, but it looks like Bouwmeester intentionally stuck his leg out and the puck deflected off his shinguard. There has to be a point where it's not considered illegal, such as hand passing to oneself or if an opponent plays the puck before it gets to a teammate. I'm saying Bouwmeester intentionally played the puck with his shin.

The refereeing throughout the playoffs has been atrocious at best. There will be a major overhaul of the replay system in the off season. The NHL does not care for this much egg on its face during the playoffs.

GO BRUINS!!!

I agree, there have been a LOT of blown calls.

I didn’t stay up for that last night, but Marc Joanette being my cousin, as The Mayor May recall, boy did my Facebook blow up

I think they have to do a major overhaul on non-reviewable plays. This is just too costly. I’m quite anxious for him to get back home, we live streets apart, so I can hear his thought on it all. After the cup is over.

At this point The Mayor, I hope the Bruins win also, and I’m pretty sure they will.

Congrats to the St.Louis Blues for earning their first "real" trip to the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

By the way, according to the local news in Philly this morning and this article, the Blues started playing the song "Gloria" by Laura Brannigan several months ago after some of the players heard it in a Philadelphia bar.

https://fansided.com/2019/05/21/play-gloria-st-louis-blues-win-song-backstory/

Last edited:
I don't know if I could come up with a more vomit inducing final if I tried...unless you threw the King or Ducks in there. Needless to say, I won't be watching a minute. I might try to catch an intermission or two for some Patrick Sharp eye candy, but that's it.

I can tell you this much: "Gloria" has been on the ice-make playlist of every single rink in the St. Louis metro area for YEARS. The Blues may have just decided to use it as a rally song this season, but it has been a staple at hockey games here for a long time; spectators routinely get up and dance to it during ice-makes. (Happens at youth tournaments and figure skating events, too.) Apparently, nothing says "ice sports" like a disco song about a schizophrenic.

(Dancing in the stands during ice-makes has a purpose, though. Ice rinks are COLD; dancing helps keep you warm.)

Last edited:
Reactions: eva
I guess the question is where Erik Karlsson goes and whether or not he can stay healthy.

I think the Bruins will sweep, I would love to see the Blues win. Time will tell. I think Karlsson may go to Tampa

Blues would need a total collapse to be swept at this point. Game 1 against the Sharks was really their only poor effort of the playoffs so far. LET’S GO BLUES!!!

Odd piece of trivia, STL & Boston are the only 2 cities that have faced off in all 4 major US sports for a championship.

I agree that a sweep is unlikely, even though most callers to the Boston sports radio believe it. The Blues are playing as high a level as the Bruins right now and Binnington has been just as good as Rask.
I believe the Bruins will win (like I'd say anything else) but I'll go with 7 games. Either way, it should be intense.

GO B's!!

Congrats to the St.Louis Blues for earning their first "real" trip to the Stanley Cup Finals!!!

Yep. The Blues made the Stanley Cup finals in their first three years, but it was like having the NY Yankees playing some minor league team for the championship. The Blues were swept 4-0 all three years, twice by Montreal and once by Boston.

I wasn't really paying attention to hockey that closely back then. I wonder how long-time fans felt about having a farce for the finals.

And the divisions!! Philadelphia in the west and Vancouver in the east. :crazy: Yeah, yeah, I understand why it was done that way.

Anyway, kudos to the Blues. But why are they waiting so long to start the finals? It should be starting tonight or tomorrow.

Last edited:
Yep. The Blues made the Stanley Cup finals in their first three years, but it was having the NY Yankees playing some minor league team for the championship. The Blues were swept 4-0 all three years, twice by Montreal and once by Boston.

I wasn't really paying attention to hockey that closely back then. I wonder how long-time fans felt about having a farce for the finals.

And the divisions!! Philadelphia in the west and Vancouver in the east. :crazy: Yeah, yeah, I understand why it was done that way.

Anyway, kudos to the Blues. But why are they waiting so long to start the finals? It should be starting tonight or tomorrow.

Bruin fans are ready. They sold out the scrimmage they had last night.
https://twitter.com/ConorRyan_93/status/1131713075034370048

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter