2020 or 2021

disneyinthespringtime

Mouseketeer
So my family did our “one and done” trip last year...except we had such a good time that we decided we would need to come back in a few years! Originally we thought 4-5 and to plan some other trips until then but now I am itching to go sooner.

Which year is likely to be more crazy - 2020 due to SWGE opening or 2021 due to the anniversary? We would likely go in spring (not around spring break / Easter).

Last edited:
My vote is for 2021. If it were me, I would save up both money and vacation time (if applicable) for the extra year and do a really big trip in 2021. I know it’s a loooooong time to wait, but there will be SO MANY attractions added in the next two years.

Both times are going to crazy

What about a longer trip in 2022? All the new rides will be open, SWGE, and the 50th celebration should be going too. The 50th is Oct 2021 so spring 2021 will miss it

Just a thought for the occasional visitor

Give DLR a try for a quick Disney fix. You can knock that out in a 3 day weekend, that’s what we do

I was planning going back May 2020, but now I think waiting until November 2021 (in between Jersey Week and Thanksgiving) is what we are going to do. I've always wanted to see the parks at Christmas/Holiday time, all of the new rides will be open, SWGE will have been open for almost a full year, and of course, the 50th anniversary!

I was planning going back May 2020, but now I think waiting until November 2021 (in between Jersey Week and Thanksgiving) is what we are going to do. I've always wanted to see the parks at Christmas/Holiday time, all of the new rides will be open, SWGE will have been open for almost a full year, and of course, the 50th anniversary!

Nov 2021? Because in November 2021, SWGE will have been open almost two full years.

hmmm... this has me thinking. I would like to go back 2020, but forgot about the 50th anniversary in 2021.What sorts of things do they do for anniversary's? I know Mickeys 90th birthday was an ongoing event. We were in the parks on his actual birthday.

What about a longer trip in 2022? All the new rides will be open, SWGE, and the 50th celebration should be going too. The 50th is Oct 2021 so spring 2021 will miss it

Give DLR a try for a quick Disney fix. You can knock that out in a 3 day weekend, that’s what we do
This is what we plan on doing. Our family went for the first time this past October....before going we had said maybe we would return in several years, then after the trip we decided we really enjoyed it and that we want to go again before our son turns 10....he is 5 now. We are not able to go yearly or anything so we figured 2022 will be a good time to go because all the new projects they are working on now will be done then and hopefully some of the Star Wars hype will have died down some. This trip will also probably be a bit longer than our last trip since most likely we will go in the summer while we are off (my husband and I are both teachers). It does make me sad though to wait until then.

You have the early signs of DAD, Disney Addiction Disease. I urge you to seek help immediately. Many of us here are already beyond the point of cure, but you still have hope. Seek help before your next trip or suffer the consequences. You have been warned.

You have the early signs of DAD, Disney Addiction Disease. I urge you to seek help immediately. Many of us here are already beyond the point of cure, but you still have hope. Seek help before your next trip or suffer the consequences. You have been warned.
:rotfl2:

I would suggest just figuring out what works best for your family rather than worrying about how "crazy" it's going to be. I think it's realistic to assume it's going to be quite busy for the next couple of years after Galaxy's Edge opens. But think of it this way: you're on this site because you're being pro-active about research and planning. I've been to Disney at some of the busiest times you can imagine and always enjoyed myself because I went in with a plan and we executed it with no issues. The way FP is set up, combined with some of the benefits of staying on property, extras you can pay for if you choose, etc, really makes it so you can see and do all you want in a relatively short period of time. My family usually goes for a full week and has more than enough time to do everything we want without waiting in long lines or missing out on places we want to eat, etc. Good luck!

I think it is going to be a crazy couple of years - SWGE of course but some other big things for 2021 as well e.g. Tron, Guardians of Galaxy etc.

I am advising friends at home to wait until the 50th attractions are open - Tron and Gardians specifically. I believe that there will be some additional visitors but there will also be additional ride capacity to go around. It’s always hard to say if it wil be enough capacity but I’m leaning toward yes..

I’m on the opposite coast from DLR so would still be a bit pricey to fly out there. Plus DH and kids are big Harry Potter fans so our next trip would be a combo one with a few days there and a few days at Disney.

Re: spring missing the anniversary - that would be my goal actually.

I am advising friends at home to wait until the 50th attractions are open - Tron and Gardians specifically. I believe that there will be some additional visitors but there will also be additional ride capacity to go around. It’s always hard to say if it wil be enough capacity but I’m leaning toward yes..

When will they open?

We are going to try to stretch our next visit until February, 2022. That way all of the new attractions (Guardians, Ratatouille, Tron, SWGE, Mickey's Runaway Railway, etc.) will be open. And hopefully the crowds will have died down a bit...

If it were me I’d be planning for spring 2022.

The 50th will still be happening (I’m assuming at least a year long celebration if not 18 months), the new attractions will be open and probably de-bugged by this point and maybe, just maybe, SWGE will have a wee bit of the novelty worn off and be somewhat manageable crowd wise.

I’m in a similar situation and leaning toward ‘21.

We went to Harry Potter at Universal the first summer it was open and spend the majority of a day - from open to close - waiting in lines. To get into the land, to get into shops , hours long lines for the rides etc.

I know SWGE will be still be crazy in ‘21 but I’m hoping it will have calmed down a tiny bit. Plus the anniversary stuff will be fun.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter