2020 runDisney Virtual Summer Series

What are some ways you all are making the virtual runs more "magical"? Do you set up the Disney mile markers? Do you wear costumes? If you live in a city, how do you bring Disney to you?
I listened to Star Wars music on my walk for the day that was supposed to be the Star Wars Half this year. I also wore a Star Wars race shirt from a previous race. I don't particularly feel like running around the neighborhood in costume anyways. Music works great for me.

You will receive the medals automatically, you don't need to do a thing. We have no way of knowing when though. Last year people started receiving them in July, but shipments varied widely over several months. This year is a complete unknown due to the Covid-19 situation. The race dates are completely different (all start now instead of monthly), so Disney could very well be packaging the medals to send immediately. We just don't know.

I emailed rundisney last week and they said they anticipate the finisher medals to begin shipment, in August, at the conclusion of the event series.

What are some ways you all are making the virtual runs more "magical"? Do you set up the Disney mile markers? Do you wear costumes? If you live in a city, how do you bring Disney to you?

Well since this year's Star Wars Rival Run weekend was completely virtual for me, I can share what I did for those races.

Since "setting up" mile markers is not really feasible along a public run route, I printed out the SW Virtual Home Kit and put the pages in clear sheet protectors and put a small piece of tape on the open side to "seal" it. I put them all together using a binder ring I had and put that on a carabiner to attach it to my running belt. Then I went walking. After each mile, I flipped the page and took a picture wherever I was. For the half, where I live was along my route so I had some fun with "character stops" during and post-race too with my SW virtual half medal (finally got that picture with Jedi Mickey! XD)

Granted, I was walking so I can't speak to how it would be to run with a bunch of letter sized paper hanging from your belt, lol. Since the 5K kit probably only has five pages you could fold them up and put them inside a running belt or print the pages 2 up or 4 up so they're half the size or smaller and therefore easier to manage hanging from a belt.

As far as outfits, I just wore my SW race shirts from previous years (2018 10K, 2019 Half). But I have definitely run around my neighborhood in full race day costume. Some might do a double take or be mentally judging me, but I don't care - I gotta get my costume trial in before race day! lol XD

For this series I'll probably do some Disney Bounding if I can manage it and print the home kit again because the mile markers were fun. :)

I listened to Star Wars music on my walk for the day that was supposed to be the Star Wars Half this year. .... Music works great for me.

I did this too, using a runDisney Playlist I made on Spotify. "Duel of the Fates" came on at mile 5 of my 10K, which was awesome! But even better than that was the time I had "Throne Room" come on literally upon completion of my first 10K ever (around my neighborhood) - it was the best thing ever!! Sometimes shuffle play can do weird things like that and make it feel like you got dusted with a little bit of Disney magic ;)

In the past, Disney has made their own Spotify playlists for the different races so you can try that if its on there.

No matter what you decide to do on your race day(s), you do YOU and don't worry about what others think. ;)

Have fun and enjoy your run(s)! :)

I did this too, using a runDisney Playlist I made on Spotify. "Duel of the Fates" came on at mile 5 of my 10K, which was awesome! But even better than that was the time I had "Throne Room" come on literally upon completion of my first 10K ever (around my neighborhood) - it was the best thing ever!! Sometimes shuffle play can do weird things like that and make it feel like you got dusted with a little bit of Disney magic
I more or less timed my playlist for the 2016 Star Wars Half at Disneyland to end with me crossing the finish line to the end music from The Force Awakens. I then set up the 2017 Star Wars Half at Disneyland to end with The Throne Room music from A New Hope. Which was also cool because the Star Wars Half at Disneyland actually went by Newhope St every single year.

Some of my fondest race memories are running through Epcot at the end of Star Wars Half races hearing Star Wars music played over the speaker system in that park. It alternates behind really giving me tremendous energy or nearly moving me to tears of what that music means to me.

I should have actually looked into this a long time ago. Obviously they are sold out. With these virtual races, they are basically selling a medal. I'd obviously run the mileage easily. Is there a resale market for these medals? I don't feel bad buying these in a secondary market because it is a virtual run and earning them isn't done on an official course. I can't believe Disney limits the amount sold especially with not shipping them for months from now. It is my bad, I should have looked earlier. I am going to take advantage of being a DVC member and Annual Passholder in the future for runDisney. It feels like their events are selling out even faster now. Obviously I am a month late in the game. I just remember doing these virtual runs in the past and never had a problem. Isn't Disney doing terrible financially?

I should have actually looked into this a long time ago. Obviously they are sold out. With these virtual races, they are basically selling a medal. I'd obviously run the mileage easily. Is there a resale market for these medals? I don't feel bad buying these in a secondary market because it is a virtual run and earning them isn't done on an official course. I can't believe Disney limits the amount sold especially with not shipping them for months from now. It is my bad, I should have looked earlier. I am going to take advantage of being a DVC member and Annual Passholder in the future for runDisney. It feels like their events are selling out even faster now. Obviously I am a month late in the game. I just remember doing these virtual runs in the past and never had a problem. Isn't Disney doing terrible financially?
I think disney limited it more for supply chain reasons.

They will probably end up on eBay and runDisney Facebook groups after people receive their medals.

Disney isn’t doing amazing right now but they also aren’t failing.

I think they sold out faster because the theme really resonated with people and because of the lack of any other Disney races right now. People who are training for other events can reward themselves with the virtual run medals. I don’t think they always sell out so fast.

I think they sold out faster because the theme really resonated with people and because of the lack of any other Disney races right now. People who are training for other events can reward themselves with the virtual run medals. I don’t think they always sell out so fast.
Agreed. 2019 Avengers virtual summer series marked the first time that each individual race and the challenge sold out. Even then registration went live in March and the races did not begin to sell out until May. Conversely, in 2018 I registered my nephew for the August race (Jack-Jack and Dash from The Incredibles) in late July.

Honestly, I believe they sold out last year because of the popularity especially then of Avengers and 3 brand new character medals who have always been very popular within the Marvel movies themselves. 2020 virtual Star Wars Half also sold out for the first time, but not until shortly late March. I think that a lot of people who had been training for at least one of the Star Wars races, but were not registered for the Kessel Run signed up for the very reason you noted. They wanted something to reward themselves for the work and training they had put in.

Quick question - has anyone received any further information regarding the series? I registered for the option of the series, which included the bonus medal, and wasn't sure if they would mail everything to me now or not. I've done the Star Wars virtual half in the past and didn't receive the medal until after I logged my time on a website, but haven't seen anything from a process standpoint on how this will work.

Quick question - has anyone received any further information regarding the series? I registered for the option of the series, which included the bonus medal, and wasn't sure if they would mail everything to me now or not. I've done the Star Wars virtual half in the past and didn't receive the medal until after I logged my time on a website, but haven't seen anything from a process standpoint on how this will work.

Logging the time on the website had nothing to do with you receiving the medal. All that did was generate a finisher’s certificate for you. It wasn’t linked to your account in any way.

The RunDisney site states that the medals will be sent after the event completion date, so I wouldn’t look for anything until at least September. If they start sending them out early, treat it as a bonus. There’s no need to enter anything for that series, either.

I know last year I had posted a picture of my “June” race medal on July 5th (submission of time was just to print a virtual certificate)
This year it’s uncertain when medals will be sent due to the pandemic

Logging the time on the website had nothing to do with you receiving the medal. All that did was generate a finisher’s certificate for you. It wasn’t linked to your account in any way.

The RunDisney site states that the medals will be sent after the event completion date, so I wouldn’t look for anything until at least September. If they start sending them out early, treat it as a bonus. There’s no need to enter anything for that series, either.

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't read closely enough regarding the statement on when medals were sent out! I know this year will be very different with everything that is happening, just wasn't sure if I had missed anything

Thanks for clarifying - I didn't read closely enough regarding the statement on when medals were sent out! I know this year will be very different with everything that is happening, just wasn't sure if I had missed anything
In past years the medals have arrived in late June/early July but who knows for this year.

Still no medals or news yet. Has anyone received their medals yet?

The official word from RunDisney is that medals will ship after the event ends on August 31. Unofficially, I’ve seen some people posting pics of medals on social media so they seem to be starting to ship earlier. I’d say to expect them in the September/October timeframe and be pleasantly surprised if they arrive early.

I know last year they were staggered (got my challenge in June friends who just did one got them during that month) but with the pandemic + this year it being run between April-Aug instead of a June/July/Aug theme I fully expect to get them in the fall

It will be fun to see if I get these, my Wine & Dine Medals or my special AP magnet first

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter