24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

JRogers725

Earning My Ears
I received a call from a Disney Cast Member less than 24 hours before my check in time at the Boardwalk Resort informing me that Disney does not have room to accommodate my reservation for 5 due to maintenance issues. They offered a room at the Beach Club Resort during our stay and told us to cross out Boardwalk on our Magical Express luggage tags and write in Beach Club. Normally I wouldn’t complain but Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Well - there are some who might consider Boardwalk to Beach Club a upgrade due to walking distance/the pools/price comparison. I've stayed at both, and like them equally myself, and if I was switched from like you were I wouldn't have a problem with it. If I was switched FROM BC to Boardwalk I might have a issue, only because I've often found that BC rooms cost more than the Boardwalk ones (not arguing semantics, just stating that as in my personal experience in pricing out the rooms I usually book) and I'd technically be getting a less expensive room.

In terms of compensation, if you thought you were entitled to it, why did you not ask for it during your phone conversation with the CM?

Agree you should have asked about it when they called. I can see if rooms were less at new resort BUT if not compensation for crossing hotel name off ME luggage tag? Both are deluxe resorts . Is it sane room category or different one?

First of all welcome to the DIS.

Second I'm not sure what sort of compensation you are expecting, they transferred you from one Deluxe resort to another that is within a short walk. Who's to say you won't find a perk when you check in. The fact that they called you before and explained why is way better then showing up and having to be transferred.

For a week stay, beach club is slightly more expensive and in the same area so it seems like a reasonable slight upgrade. Now if they would've told you they were sending you to Old Key West, that would be a big difference. If for some reason you don't like beach club you should've mentioned that on the phone and see what else they could do. But other than that, I think it's a fair trade slightly to your benifit so I wouldn't expect anything in the way of compensation.

Yep: Beach club is a deluxe hotel that is typically higher-priced than boardwalk, in the same location with all the exact same transportation options, MUCH better pool, and if you want to spend time on the Boardwalk it is an under 5 minute walk. Overbooking happens at any vacation destination. What exactly do you want to be compensated for here?

I get that they are both deluxe resorts in the Epcot area but had I wanted to stay at the Beach Club I would have booked there. I did ask if I had any other options and got the run around. I’m just comparing this to other hotels that I’ve had similar issues and Disney’s response wasn’t great.

I get that they are both deluxe resorts in the Epcot area but had I wanted to stay at the Beach Club I would have booked there. I did ask if I had any other options and got the run around. I’m just comparing this to other hotels that I’ve had similar issues and Disney’s response wasn’t great.
What kind of compensation would you like? What will it take to make you happy? What would have made Disney’s ” response ..great”?

Maybe just call WDW and explain that you are disappointed? Perhaps they will reinstate your reservation ( and offer another guest BC) or offer you a free cancellation? I empathise with you being caught off guard, so perhaps, as others have suggested, think about what you actually want and call them back.

First off back off, don’t need to be a jerk. Just expressing it on here. Isn’t that what forums are about. And honestly any sort of acknowledgement that it is an added inconvenience to anyones vacation only 24 hours before. I’m not begging for compensation. All I am getting at is if this was a Marriott they would have offered up the world to make up for the last minute change.
Bonvoy would have downgraded you to all stars and charged you for both rooms #Bonvoyed

In all seriousness we are a discussion forum, so when people post we discuss. Yes, this happens though it’s rare. If you aren’t happy with what you received call Disney, ask for a room upgrade or a different resort, whatever would make you happy. Check online first to confirm availability for what you are requesting, no use if they don’t have it.

It isn't a Marriott.

Yup its the Four Seasons with Motel 6 management hahaha.

Has this ever happened to anyone else?

Did you have a boardwalk view? Or what was your room category? That would decide my stance.

I might just stop by the desk and mention you want to provide feedback if I had a regular view. I would expect either a discount or something else if it was a Boardwalk view.

If I really wanted to stay at BW I might even just stop there on arrival before going to your room at BC and explain your situation and if they have any way to still fit you in as cancels might happen you never know.

If you are really bummed by the switch or how it was handled, I second calling and explaining your disappointment. I'd convey that you were a bit taken off guard by the agent when you received the call and now that you've had adequate time to think about it you aren't pleased about the situation.

Personally, if it happened to me, I wouldn't look at this as a downgrade. I like both BC and BWV equally and they have a similar theme. I think the switch is pretty "fair". Now getting called and saying I'd be going from the Grand Floridian to OKW would be an issue.

Others might disagree, but if you are looking for some sort of compensation I'd think some extra fastpasses or maybe a giftcard to cover a dinner would be appropriate. I think for a move <24 hours out that's a fair outcome. Any more i think would be over in excess of the issue.

Either way, enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter