24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

OP, I agree they should have given you something. Even if it was a free sit down dinner at one of their restaurants. You Didn't book the BC, you booked the BW and they changed it. I wonder if you could of said you did not agree to move, what they would of done??? We stayed at the YC and the BC in two different summers. The BW was always a little more expensive when we stayed at those resorts. This was in 2017 and 2018.

Depending on how far down the line the OP was, they could have told them ok and moved on to another guest, or insisted they move.

Sorry, this is absurd. What do you want Disney to do? Send a mass email to everyone booked at the hotel asking who WANTS to move? This is how businesses work. It’s not disheartening or unmagical or anything. The room was not rentable. Stuff happens. Life moves on.

No, I would expect that if a guest was unhappy with the move that the (however many guests) staying (however many) days in the same room category get called one by one, until someone is found who isn’t opposed to the move. If Disney is unable to honor the reservation then why shouldn’t diligence be expected from them rather than a guest who isn’t happy with the move being expected to suck it up.

No, I would expect that if a guest was unhappy with the move that the (however many guests) staying (however many) days in the same room category get called one by one, until someone is found who isn’t opposed to the move. If Disney is unable to honor the reservation then why shouldn’t diligence be expected from them rather than a guest who isn’t happy with the move being expected to suck it up.

Totally unrealistic.

I think that's a nice sentiment honestly but I don't find that to be realistic. Even in the airline industry they can ask, ask, ask but if no one (or not enough) steps up someone (or multiple people) will still be bumped if they have to (hence voluntary and involuntary). I don't think anyone actually thinks it's nice or that they would want it to happen to them, I know I for sure wouldn't. I don't think it's viable to do what you are suggesting either though.

And this isn’t even as bad as getting bumped off a flight. That involves actual travel disruption. This is “we’re moving you to a hotel basically next door.”

An inconvenience, yes, and probably something that should warrant some guest recovery. But perspective is everything. Life goes on.

No, I would expect that if a guest was unhappy
We don't know whether the OP expressed any disappointment while on the original call.

The OP apparently didn't know during the call, what options if any they had.

and we don't know if the OP called Disney back to express the disappointment and to negotiate for ____, or even to decline the move.

Ideally, they ended up satisfied, but we don't know if it how that came about.

OP I hope whatever ended up happening you ended up having a wonderful time!

I think when it comes to moves within categories (not those lucky people bumped from a value/mod to a deluxe!) it’s totally fair to expect something more from Disney. At one time customer service was considered to be their speciality, after all. It’s way too subjective to say one resort is better than the other, they all have widely different themes, amenities, etc. While a move from WL to GF, for example, would appear to be a huge upgrade, that could really disappoint someone who is a huge WL lover. If someone doesn’t feel their move is an upgrade, I think that’s fair.

Im part of a Facebook group and a member posted she was called to be told she was being moved from Poly to GF. Attached by a walkway, similar location, her category didn’t change, GF is probably slightly more expensive, but when you plan and dream based on a single resort it’s understandably disappointing when that suddenly changes.

Personally I would politely but firmly insist *something* is done, be it FP, money back, a category upgrade, etc. If Disney didn’t and stuck to their fine print that they can move me anywhere, well that’s just incredibly disappointing and not the Disney I know. I couldn’t care less if walking is industry standard.

Not to mention I book ADRs and FP according to what resort I am at. I hate pre booking all that but Disney makes me. Being DVC and going often we plan to cover certain things each trip and tie it all to location. A BWV stay is heavy HS and Epcot visits. And, yes, BC it's right there next to BW but I'd likely plan more HS if at BW and less if at BC. I am one, though, who'd be pleased to be swapped to BC. But I would not be pleased to be moved from BWV to BLT. So where you book is very subjective and for Disney to take a laissez faire attitude is not realistic. Also Disney resorts is not apples to apples with the Marriott down the street.

Not to mention I book ADRs and FP according to what resort I am at. I hate pre booking all that but Disney makes me. Being DVC and going often we plan to cover certain things each trip and tie it all to location. A BWV stay is heavy HS and Epcot visits. And, yes, BC it's right there next to BW but I'd likely plan more HS if at BW and less if at BC. I am one, though, who'd be pleased to be swapped to BC. But I would not be pleased to be moved from BWV to BLT. So where you book is very subjective and for Disney to take a laissez faire attitude is not realistic. Also Disney resorts is not apples to apples with the Marriott down the street.

Exactly! Not cookie cutter.

The OP posted after the call ended because they were upset and, "Disney did not offer an sort of compensation for the inconvenience especially with it being less than 24 hours before my check in." And they wanted to know if anybody else had the same experience.

People offered suggestions - on negotiating for compensation or refusing the move. It seems the OP wasn't aware they could do this, because they, well, didn't during the initial call.

That's pretty clear. Unless they omitted, "...so I requested (and got) x, y, and z" from the original post, people very reasonably inferred that they did not.

I've posted a similar response more than once in this thread. I don't pay attention to whom I'm responding. If all my responses have been to a single poster, so be it.
I think were actually on the same page. I know it seems the OP wasn't aware of any perks they could have asked for. My point in commenting was more like "it would have been great if they did" like it would have been better for OP if they knew to ask because that could have possibly opened the door to some compensation :)

My thinking was more along the lines of if Disney gave them an "upgrade" it would have to be in a next tier type hotel basically (like if they were originally in a moderate then upgraded to deluxe) or same tier (deluxe in this case) but with something that makes it more of an upgrade like standard view to theme park view, or upgrade to a suite or club level or something. But I can see how people think that because the hotel costs more its an upgrade. I'm probably being too black and white saying it's not an upgrade if its in the same tier.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter