24 Hours Before My Vacation Disney Changed My Hotel Reservation

umm yeah I got it. Not sure why you're quoting me??? My point is that OP has every right to be annoyed. So tired of people piling on anyone who complains about Disney.
Just so I understand clearly - you consider responses that encourage the OP that they'll enjoy the resort, responses that recommended calling Disney back to negotiate or even decline the move, even posts that just explained that this happens... as "piling on"? Interesting pov.

umm yeah I got it. Not sure why you're quoting me??? My point is that OP has every right to be annoyed. So tired of people piling on anyone who complains about Disney.
The OP has a right to be annoyed. The question is what compensation, if any, is owed for change in resorts.
My booking decision is, partially based on price, availability of discounted rooms.
I'd prefer BC over BWI, but would take BC,BWI or YC if there was a significant price difference.

It wouldn't have been a big deal to me. If it was I would have politely explained my reasons and ask if the could find different guest.

The OP isn't happy. Posting does nothing to help. Ask when you check in if you can be moved after the first night.

Downgrading you to a moderate or value deserves compensation. Moving to a resort in a different area, WL, might even deserve compensation. Moving you from one EPCOT deluxe to different EPCOT Deluxe resort not so much.

I wish the OP would return and express what compensation they want.

As said before "Walking a guest" is not limited to Disney. In most cases I have read, it can be a crap shoot about what hotel you are "walked to". I.E. Hilton to Hampton Inn. While I have stayed at both and have no complaints with either brand, there is a different experience. I have also read of the opposite.

In most cases these hotels are no where near each other and the inconvenience is greater than the inconvenience between the Boardwalk and Beach Club.

If the OP is disappointed with the lack of compensation, they should ask for compensation.

I'm guessing since the OP arrived today they are more concerned with enjoying their upgrade/downgrade/even Steven move to the Beach Club than reporting back. Hopefully they come back after their trip if not sooner. I think us Dis'ers might be more concerned with the OP's accommodations than they are! :disrocks:

I'm all for the OP venting. I have reservations for BWI for this december, and I made the reservation back in july. We have never stayed in DW, and this vacay is all we talk about. We have done so much research on BWI. If I got a call the day before, it would have felt like i wasted time. Maybe it's my type A personality, but the fun of this began when I made the reservation.

When I plan a trip I am careful about resort choice. I watch videos, read detailed reviews, etc. I would not be completely fine with being switched to another resort the day before check in and I would have said so. If there were no other choices I would deal. It is not an "upgrade" for the OP. If they wanted to stay there they would have booked it.
what would you do at check in when told of major flooding of room repairs had just finished but carpet/flooring was damaged and needed to be replaced? no other room at resort so you are now moving to another resort. happens a lot in hotel business

what would you do at check in when told of major flooding of room repairs had just finished but carpet/flooring was damaged and needed to be replaced? no other room at resort so you are now moving to another

Obviously you can’t stay there. I don’t understand your question.

Last edited:
what would you do at check in when told of major flooding of room repairs had just finished but carpet/flooring was damaged and needed to be replaced? no other room at resort so you are now moving to another resort. happens a lot in hotel business
We travel fairly frequently. In our experience, walking doesn't happen a lot. In this case, I think the big factor was that OP needed a room for 5.
What would I do? I believe I would have more options, as we generally travel as a couple. There are many more rooms at WDW for two people, vs 5.
I would politely and reasonably briefly ask about options, alternatives.

I am giving something that happens in hotels and you would not like being moved just saying things happen. we have been there and had it happen to us granted not Disney

But I said very clearly in my post (that you quoted) that if I have to move I would deal.

A tangentially related story that happened to me many years ago;
My wife and I headed out to Maine in the winter (headed to Sugarloaf). We flew into Boston, then drove up to Inn by the Sea in Portland to stay overnight (purposely provided you the link for reasons you'll see in a minute). The weather was bad, but hey, winter, what do you expect? We get there and walk into the lobby to check in. The guy at the front desk is noticeably rattled - I give him my name and I'm rummaging through my bag for the confirmation info when he says, "I'm really sorry. We had a big ice storm here today and some of the rooms were damaged. We had to give your room to someone else." I'm thinking, oh great, looks like we are sleeping in the rental car. I look at my wife, when he continues, "but don't worry, we've put you up in the Portland Regency and we're going to pay for your dinner tonight and your breakfast tomorrow. Again, we're really sorry."

"O Kay...so...do I pay you for the room here tonight?" I ask.

"Oh no sir. You don't have to pay for anything. We've taken care of it for you."

WHAT!?!
"That's really generous of you, thank you." I said - stunned.

"Oh that's really nice of you to say that. The last guy was really angry."

HUH?!? How could you possibly be angry? I mean, what is wrong with someone to be angry about what we thought was a BEYOND generous offer that we didn't even ask for? Good word of mouth for Inn by the Sea though - we tell everyone that story.

First off back off, don’t need to be a jerk.

Who did you feel was being a jerk?

The person asking questions that are what you needed to be thinking about? What would make this great? What could they have done; what coins they do now?

Those were vital questions to have answers to before you make a call or check in.

So tired of people piling on anyone who complains about Disney.

People are literally saying to not expect much from Disney. And that’s somehow being super pro-Disney? I see it as opposite. Temper your expectations. They aren't going to behave like a Hyatt. Bad things happen to rooms even at Disney.

Those are hardly cheerleader sentiments. And aren’t piling on.

Hopefully Disney comes through and gives them an actual upgrade.

To *where*???

And it is rarely if ever mentioned that Beach Club has mostly Juliet balconies.

Something like three people mentioned the balcony difference in the first two pages of the thread...

I'm all for the OP venting. I have reservations for BWI for this december, and I made the reservation back in july. We have never stayed in DW, and this vacay is all we talk about. We have done so much research on BWI. If I got a call the day before, it would have felt like i wasted time. Maybe it's my type A personality, but the fun of this began when I made the reservation.

I have gotten "that" call and was moved to the Grand. Nice upgrade, yes? Not at that time for me, because all of the friends I was meeting were staying in Epcot resorts, but I understood the problem and accepted the change. I also had put time and thought into my resort choice, as do most people, but if the resort has a maintenance problem what do they do?

I assume the desicion to move the OP was not made by pulling her name out of a hat, but by logistics, and the number of people in her party probably played into the decision, as did the resort she was moved to. WHat resort can accomodate her family members and is at least equal to the level she booked and hopefully in the same area? The options are limited.

If the OP was sad, and it seems so, she needed to communicate that to the CM who called and ask for some sort of compensation if that was part of her problem. I have no idea what would make her happy but complaining here and then getting snippy when people tried to figure out what she wanted was kind of rude, IMO. The first question on the way to a resolution is what did you want DIsney to do? And what would make you happy? The second.

I'm DVC so I've stayed at BW many times, but not BC yet. Usually not available. I would've been thrilled. I enjoy the "wanderlust" part of vacation - go where the wind blows you kind of thing. Not that I don't research and such, but sometimes you need to take a step back and think...on a scale of 1 to 10 in life, where does this rank?

If you're upset - say something. Only the OP knows whats exactly in his head. What did he really want? The balcony, location, the actual boardwalk, the scary clown slide? Who knows.

Hope you enjoy your vacation....wherever you are!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter