24 hours in the car just to see fake palm trees?! Our magical Thanksgiving vacation

The last time we were there 5 years ago, my dad had a grand mal seizure while in line for the Lion King show and had to transported by ambulance out of the park. It was quite traumatic!

How scary!

I snapped some pictures as we walked, I just love AK!!

I love AK too and especially loved all the holiday decorations there!

This should have been my first sign that something was brewing for him. But it's easy to miss those signs!

Oh no. My stomach bug started with just lack of appetite too...

How scary!

I love AK too and especially loved all the holiday decorations there!

Oh no. My stomach bug started with just lack of appetite too...

Yep...all the signs were there!! So sorry you got nailed with it too!!

Part 9: Yeti or not, here we come! (chapter 2)

I left off in Dino land in the play area! After a super fun experience there, it was time for our first FP for the Dinosaur ride. I had actually not ridden this ride in a really long time so I didn't have any real memory of it. If you remember, our last day at the parks for 4yo had been refusing any ride that he deemed too scary. When we headed into the FP line, he immediately started asking if the ride was scary. I thought perhaps it was a scary ride but was worried he would refuse to go, so like any desperate parent I lied.

giphy.gif

So we loaded into the ride and it was definitely a scarier ride. But soooo fun! In fact, many of the kids will identify this as their favorite ride! But at the end when the huge dino appears, of course he was RIGHT by my youngest and my 6yo, who were the two worried ones. You can see in the picture that my arm immediately shoots out to go around my 4yo because I was concerned he would freak out.

Turns out he was okay but I think a little shaken up!

After the ride, it was around 11 so we did a mobile order for Pizzafari and headed that direction for lunch.

This was the start of our day falling apart.

dec796c9355e06a4d90a65aa1d2f980a.gif

As we're all sitting down to start eating, I look over at my 4yo and he looks weird. He hasn't been eating, just drinking his apple juice. He starts doing this gagging thing and just as he starts puking I reach my hands out and catch the puke in my hands.

ajlzmUR.gif

It takes me and my husband a second to even react at that point, I am just sitting there with hands full of vomit and not sure what to do. He grabs napkins and wet wipes but as I'm cleaning myself, 4yo pukes again, this time all over himself. So we are frantically wiping him up. Shockingly nobody else in the restaurant seems to have even noticed that this is happening. I walk him to the bathroom and put new pants on him. Fortunately we were prepared with extra pants and underwear that day, but unfortunately did not have a spare shirt. We wash our hands and faces with soap and then he's crying that he wants a new shirt because his shirt is gross. I promise him we can go to the store and buy a new shirt, but that we have to go back out and everyone else needs to finish their lunch first.

So we head back to the restaurant where everyone else is calmly eating. I try to shovel my food in my face, and inwardly panicking that he is sick and how are we going to survive the day? And what if someone else gets it?? But at this point, he is acting fine again (still not wanting to eat) so I'm just really hoping the ride shook him up and upset his tummy.

After lunch, he is still crying because he wants a new shirt. I'm sure his shirt really didn't smell good. So we walked to a nearby store. After spending $30 on new pants a couple days before, I wasn't thrilled about spending more money on a new shirt but we didn't have any other options. We actually had trouble finding many tiny kid shirts options until we finally found a super cute Kilamanjaro Safari shirt in his size. Even though I was bummed about spending the money, the shirt is really awesome.

While shopping, my daughter and 9yo found Na'vi ears and a Na'vi hat and fell in love. They had watched Avatar with me before the trip, and my daughter in particular LOVED it and was all about Avatar and Pandora. And the ears looked freakin adorable on her. So even though she was out of money, I let her get the ears. My 9yo spent his money on the hat, and I got myself some AK ears too. I'm a sucker for the ears!!!

For the time being, the crisis seemed to be over. Reid seemed ok. It was time for us to separate because I had a FP for Expedition Everest with my 3 older kids, and my husband was taking Reid on the Bug's Life show. But on the way, we stopped for pictures in front of the tree.

So after pictures, we headed off in our different directions. We were sooo excited for Expedition Everest! It's definitely my favorite roller coaster. But on the way, I found another photo pass spot and insisted we stop.

And we were finally on our way! I think my 6yo was a little nervous but excited. None of my kids have been on the ride because we haven't been to AK for 5 years. My oldest was technically tall enough 5 years ago for this ride but he was a little too scared so he skipped it. But they all LOVED it this time!

I know, I know... 9.5yo doesn't look like he had fun. He was very committed to this "I'm going to look bored in every picture" idea. But he really did like it!

Up next: Birds and ice cream!

Aw, sorry your little one got sick. Hopefully he was feeling better for the rest of the day.

As we're all sitting down to start eating, I look over at my 4yo and he looks weird. He hasn't been eating, just drinking his apple juice. He starts doing this gagging thing and just as he starts puking I reach my hands out and catch the puke in my hands.

ajlzmUR.gif
Why do all moms do this? I mean how is that helping....

Sorry to hear that happened. That sounds horrible. I don't usually bring extra clothes with me anymore, so we would def be buying new clothes.

Aw, sorry your little one got sick. Hopefully he was feeling better for the rest of the day.

Unfortunately no, as I'll write more about! Poor guy.

Why do all moms do this? I mean how is that helping....

Sorry to hear that happened. That sounds horrible. I don't usually bring extra clothes with me anymore, so we would def be buying new clothes.

Initially it helped to catch the puke because it saved him from being covered in puke and going over the floor! But then he just puked again and it was a lost cause. Ugh.

Part 9: Yeti or not, here we come! (chapter 3)

After Expedition Everest, we planned to meet my husband and 4yo at the Birds show. I asked my husband how Reid did at the Bug's Life show because I know sometimes kids are scared of the show, but he said he was fine and seemed to like it.

I've been to the bird show before, but not since they added Russell and Doug to the show. I think the kids enjoyed it so much more because the characters were so funny!

After the show, we had to go on a scavenger hunt for big ice cream cones. The kids had seen someone walk by with big ice cream cones and wanted one really badly. All we could find around us were stands with Mickey ice cream bars, but they wanted cones. We ended up having to walk back towards Everest to finally find the cones! We all got one except Reid because we were worried about his stomach.

At this point, we were all super excited because it was time to head over to Pandora! I got really lucky with fast passes (probably because our AK day was 60+5 days) and we got fast passes for me and the older 3 kids for Flights of Passage, and FPs for my husband and 4yo at the same time for Na'vi river ride.

The floating island was one of the coolest things I've seen at Disney, that's for sure. The theming in Pandora was pretty amazing.

We separated to go on our different rides. Even with a fast pass, the wait for FOP was fairly long.

It's funny because much later in the day, I noticed I had a notification on My Disney Experience app, and when I clicked on it it said that they had to cancel our FOP fast pass. I am so so glad I didn't see this notification beforehand because I would have been devastated to miss this. For whatever reason, they still let us into the line and the ride so I honestly am not sure what that notification was all about? I've never had it happen to me before. But it worked out for me to have not noticed it!

The kids wanted pictures in front of the floating island while we were in line so we were messing around taking pictures.

We finally made it to the ride and anticipation was high! I'd heard so many good things about the ride. And we were not disappointed! FOP quickly became my favorite ride ever. The attention to detail was absolutely insane. When the banshee banked in one direction, the winds changed and blew through your hair and you truly felt like you were flying on a banshee's back. Then I noticed when the banshee stopped to take a break that I could feel its heart beating between my legs and could feel its chest rising and falling. I am pretty sure I could have ridden this all day and I can understand why people are waiting 2 hours for a ride.

When we got off, I texted my husband and they had gotten done with their ride long before us and had walked over to get a stroller for my 4yo. He sent me this picture.

This kid never naps, so I knew he wasn't feeling well!

Up next:

giphy.gif

When we got off, I texted my husband and they had gotten done with their ride long before us and had walked over to get a stroller for my 4yo. He sent me this picture.

poor guy. Probably a good call.

Glad you guys liked the ride! It is amazing!

But at the end when the huge dino appears, of course he was RIGHT by my youngest and my 6yo, who were the two worried ones. You can see in the picture that my arm immediately shoots out to go around my 4yo because I was concerned he would freak out.

Dinosaur is probably the one ride that is scary to me! I think it's funny that your 9 year old is so serious in all other pictures, but he actually looks amused here :)

We wash our hands and faces with soap and then he's crying that he wants a new shirt because his shirt is gross. I promise him we can go to the store and buy a new shirt, but that we have to go back out and everyone else needs to finish their lunch first.

I'm so sorry that happened! And I know from your comments that this wasn't the end of it. Poor guy, I am feeling for him. When my daughter was a baby she once threw up on me right as we were boarding a 2+ hour flight and I had no change of clothes for me. Now when we travel I don't just bring a change for the girls, I bring one for myself because that experience traumatized me! I hope his stomach bug only lasted this day and not on your trip home.

It's funny because much later in the day, I noticed I had a notification on My Disney Experience app, and when I clicked on it it said that they had to cancel our FOP fast pass. I am so so glad I didn't see this notification beforehand because I would have been devastated to miss this. For whatever reason, they still let us into the line and the ride so I honestly am not sure what that notification was all about? I've never had it happen to me before. But it worked out for me to have not noticed it!
Weird! Maybe it went down briefly during your FP window but came back up by the time you got in line. So your FP turned into an anytime that still could be used for FoP? But at least you got to experience it!

First, we had to check out of our cabin. Sad, sad kiddos!!

Your youngest looks happy - hasn't quite caught the acting photo look yet.

I reach my hands out and catch the puke in my hands.

This seems to be a common pro mom move. Too bad he threw up a second time and you still had to do a wardrobe change for him. Sorry he wasn't feeling good, but hope it didn't get passed around.

Oh my goodness, it has been sooooo long since I updated this! Life got so busy. :( As we've been planning our upcoming Disney trip, I realized I never finished my trip report which is just unacceptable. I am going to start working at it again!

poor guy. Probably a good call.

Glad you guys liked the ride! It is amazing!

Loooved it, can't wait to ride again!

Dinosaur is probably the one ride that is scary to me! I think it's funny that your 9 year old is so serious in all other pictures, but he actually looks amused here :)

I'm so sorry that happened! And I know from your comments that this wasn't the end of it. Poor guy, I am feeling for him. When my daughter was a baby she once threw up on me right as we were boarding a 2+ hour flight and I had no change of clothes for me. Now when we travel I don't just bring a change for the girls, I bring one for myself because that experience traumatized me! I hope his stomach bug only lasted this day and not on your trip home.

So funny, i hadn't noticed my 9 year old (now a 10 year old!!) looking amused here. I think he didn't know he was getting his picture taken lol.

I need to bring changes of clothes for myself next time too!!

Weird! Maybe it went down briefly during your FP window but came back up by the time you got in line. So your FP turned into an anytime that still could be used for FoP? But at least you got to experience it!

Yes it was super weird! Happy it worked out!

Your youngest looks happy - hasn't quite caught the acting photo look yet.

This seems to be a common pro mom move. Too bad he threw up a second time and you still had to do a wardrobe change for him. Sorry he wasn't feeling good, but hope it didn't get passed around.

Thankfully it did not seem to get passed around! I never got it, and you'd think I would be the one after literally catching it in my hands lol.

Part 9: Yeti or not, here we come! (chapter 4)

It's been so long, I really had to search my memory banks to remember our Animal Kingdom day!

I last finished off in Pandora where we had just ridden Flights of Passage (me and my 3 oldest children) and my husband and 4yo had ridden Na'vi river ride and then gone to the front of the park to get my little guy a stroller. He promptly fell asleep.

We then met up because I wanted to go to the Lion King show and there was a performance coming up!

Somehow we didn't give ourselves enough time, and we barely made it in. We were literally about the last people to be let through. It was great because no waiting, but it was very crowded and didn't get a great place to sit. But we were there!

For those of you who have been to the show, they use some sort of incense or something during the performance and it's a strong smell. It is also really freaking hot. I don't know if any of this contributed to what happened next, but it's just something I remember. I was sitting by my 4yo and noticed he seemed to be off. I just had this feeling that he might be sick again. I started digging around in our bag trying to find something and loudly whispered to my husband that I was worried.

And then the puke came.

I started catching it in napkins I had taken out of the bag. Then we used the ziploc baggies we had also packed to shove the puky napkins into. I still remain amazed that as all this was happening, nobody around us even noticed. It was so loud in there, and with all the incense burning people probably couldn't smell it.

So finally the vomit ended, and so did the show. I hadn't gotten to see it. :guilty: But we survived.

When we got out, we brought Reid to the bathroom and cleaned him up. Washed both of our hands a million times. He had vomited on yet another shirt, so we put him in his oldest brother's big sweat shirt because he needed something clean and he was a little shivery.

Then we all sat down to decide what to do. At this point it was about 4 pm. We had reservations at Tusker House at 5. It was clear to us that our 4yo was really sick, but we had already paid for this dinner and everyone else in the family needed to eat. So after going back and forth, we decided we would just go to eat dinner, and then we'd leave. Obviously 4yo would not eat!

On the way, our big kids were messing around lol.

Next up: Tusker House!

Wow! You are super mom! We are taking our sons 10 & 8 and 1yr old daughter for the first time first week of September! We can't wait! I hate to hear about your youngest not feeling good.

I started catching it in napkins I had taken out of the bag. Then we used the ziploc baggies we had also packed to shove the puky napkins into. I still remain amazed that as all this was happening, nobody around us even noticed. It was so loud in there, and with all the incense burning people probably couldn't smell it.

So finally the vomit ended, and so did the show. I hadn't gotten to see it. :guilty: But we survived.
Poor guy! Still sick. And that is the worst with the other kids not wanting to ruin there day. I hope dinner wasn't too bad!

Wow! You are super mom! We are taking our sons 10 & 8 and 1yr old daughter for the first time first week of September! We can't wait! I hate to hear about your youngest not feeling good.

This is the first time we've had a kiddo get sick at Disney! He had a really hard day, but in the grand scheme of things it could have been worse. It's just a fun story at this point lol.

Poor guy! Still sick. And that is the worst with the other kids not wanting to ruin there day. I hope dinner wasn't too bad!

So hard to make those choices with multiple kids!

Part 9: Yeti or not, here we come! (chapter 5)

We are reaching the end of our Animal Kingdom day! My poor 4yo has been throwing up and we know the day will have to be cut short at this point. But we're still really hoping to hit our Tusker House reservation since it's already paid for and the rest of us were hungry!

Almost immediately after getting seated, we got to meet the mouse! It was our second time meeting him this trip.
46184192072_eea928bd4f_z.jpg

Unfortunately, my 4yo was not up for the visit. After Mickey left, the kids and my husband went to get their dinner and my 4yo vomited again. Profusely.
8-stress.gif

Can I just add that I have never been more thankful that I brought sanitizing wipes with??

Most of the vomit went on the table. I cleaned it up swiftly. Ran us both to the bathroom to clean us up.

I think it happened another time but honestly I've lost track of it all. I've probably blocked it.

tenor.gif

All I know is that while I was in the bathroom cleaning up my little guy, my daughter also had to go to the bathroom and we all missed out on this meet and greet with Daisy!
46184236482_825c7b70cd_z.jpg

Finally, I got my 4yo settled back at the table and I was able to get some food for myself! I was starving!!!

When I got back, this had happened:
45322017775_523385d8b6_z.jpg

I'm sure he was exhausted!!

Then Donald stopped by for a visit...
45322022915_a138a5326c_z.jpg

And Goofy...
46234892841_1e99b6362a_z.jpg

46184236432_83abb56289_z.jpg

Soon we were wrapping up on dinner. We were trying to make it as short as possible! But my daughter was upset that she hadn't gotten to meet Daisy, so a cast member agreed to get her a meeting!
45322016235_85c210cc0d_z.jpg

So that's about it for Tusker House! Everybody was fed, but I'll be honest that I have zero memory of any food I ate, if I enjoyed it, or if the character interactions were good. We actually have Tusker House booked for our upcoming trip at Christmas time and I am reeeeally hoping we can have a dinner with 4 healthy children and 2 healthy adults this time around!

Our 4yo settled into the stroller and we made our way out of the park. We had some extra snack credits so we stopped in a shop and got some cookies and other treats to bring with us, particularly things that my 4yo would be able to enjoy since he hadn't gotten to enjoy any yummy food that day! Since he was drowsy in the stroller and seemed content, we decided to peek at Pandora to see the floating island at night on our way out.
31296073537_f72ca0d85d_z.jpg

There was a cool band playing too at the time, with really fun music. I hope on a future trip to spend more time in Pandora at night! But this time around we just snapped some pictures and headed out.

And that brings us to the end of our Animal Kingdom day! I am very thankful that this was our last day of the trip. Also, despite how sick my little guy was, he wasn't upset or tearful or anything, just lethargic. He was able to enjoy the morning at the very least. And oddly enough, none of us caught anything from him so I honestly wonder if it was food poisoning or something.
31296074957_95e8f66cd5_z.jpg

Thanks for reading my trip so far!! I will be back to finish up the rest of our time in Florida!

So that's about it for Tusker House! Everybody was fed, but I'll be honest that I have zero memory of any food I ate, if I enjoyed it, or if the character interactions were good. We actually have Tusker House booked for our upcoming trip at Christmas time and I am reeeeally hoping we can have a dinner with 4 healthy children and 2 healthy adults this time around!
I don't blame you for really remembering anything! Man. Glad you guys were able to atleast eat something! I hope the next visit there is memorable in a good way!

I just binge read your entire trip report. What an AMAZING family vacation... until it wasn't, ugh! I'm a preschool teacher, so I totally get the bodily fluids, and I can't imaging how upsetting that must have felt on a (super expensive!) Disney trip. Following along to find out about the weather!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter