25 point add on ?

Hi! Two questions! We are waiting on final closing docs for a 160pt Resale BLT contract and are looking to add on 25 points direct for some benefits such as AP discount. I had assumed that we would want a contract at BLT with the same UY, but maybe it makes more sense to get 25 points at another resort to be able to bank/borrow for a slightly longer stay at a harder-to-get resort every few years? Is this a strategy that a lot of folks do to diversity where they can book at 11 months? If we get a second contract at a different resort it would be two member numbers and two logins, right? How much of a PITA is that to navigate?

Hi! Two questions! We are waiting on final closing docs for a 160pt Resale BLT contract and are looking to add on 25 points direct for some benefits such as AP discount. I had assumed that we would want a contract at BLT with the same UY, but maybe it makes more sense to get 25 points at another resort to be able to bank/borrow for a slightly longer stay at a harder-to-get resort every few years? Is this a strategy that a lot of folks do to diversity where they can book at 11 months? If we get a second contract at a different resort it would be two member numbers and two logins, right? How much of a PITA is that to navigate?
It shows up as the same member number as long as it's the same uy. You can use points as one contract at 7 months. Problem is that at 11 months you may think you have enough home resort points. It's not till you actually click on the membership that it breaks it down.

we got our 25 point add on at the same resort (BLT) and UY, and have been using those points! I'm sure it's a case of you spend what you have, but 25 points to bank/borrow for a short stay every few years seems like a lot of work to me with a risk of not having enough points. We are currently considering another contract at another home resort, but if so we will do a different UY to cover the whole calendar year, and would get at least 100 points so we can use it for a whole week.

if you have a specific plan for using 50 pts at a different resort every other year, then buy 25 pts at that resort.

if not, a 25 pt contract won't get much done, so you'd be better off with more BLT pts.

just to clarify (it looks like you understand but some may read your question and be confused), you can never mix pts from different home resorts at the 11 month window.

if you have a specific plan for using 50 pts at a different resort every other year, then buy 25 pts at that resort.

if not, a 25 pt contract won't get much done, so you'd be better off with more BLT pts.

just to clarify (it looks like you understand but some may read your question and be confused), you can never mix pts from different home resorts at the 11 month window.

It is also worth mentioning the different ending dates on these contracts. If you sign up with 25 BWV points in order to try to get 5 standard view nights for F&W every two years, that could work, but your direct membership benefits would end after 25 years. Still a long time, but you could be sitting around at year 26 wishing you had direct sale benefits for the remaining 18 years of your BLT contract. A lot can change over the next 2 and a half decades, but it seemed like a worthwhile point to bring up.

I would do the same UY & resort titled the same way unless you have a specific plan for the smaller amount. The possible exceptions would be for difficult to get resorts such as VGF or VGC where the add on might be difficult or where one decides that a 50 points add on contract at a resort where there is not significant savings resale. I wouldn't let RTU ending enter in too much though it should play into the valuation.

Agree with above poster. It can be a mind twister if you borrow from one to the other and then cancel or change a reservation.

I wonder if instead of Disney eliminating the opportunity to purchase small amounts of direct points they will instead offer some sort of cost structure that would see small amounts of points costing more versus purchasing larger amounts of points. They sorta have already done this with their discounts on larger direct contracts at some of the non sold out resorts. This is also pretty consistent with what is happening in the resale market. Would be an interesting option...

I wonder if instead of Disney eliminating the opportunity to purchase small amounts of direct points they will instead offer some sort of cost structure that would see small amounts of points costing more versus purchasing larger amounts of points. They sorta have already done this with their discounts on larger direct contracts at some of the non sold out resorts. This is also pretty consistent with what is happening in the resale market. Would be an interesting option...
They actually already do. Current members get a discount on closing costs. Closing a direct 25 point purchase is about $107. Closing a direct 125 point add on purchase wasn't much more in cost and spread over a lot more points so essentially you pay more per point for direct small add ons. For Aulani it's much higher for direct Small add on. They have closing costs direct structured much differently than Florida properties. The cost is something like $450 for 50 points. Aulani direct small add on costs are very high but large Aulani closing costs are lower than Florida properties. Guide said it is something to do with how the different states structure their fees.

I have a question about adding on points, we are in the process of buying 150 points resale at the poly.
We are expected to close beginning of Dec. Our resale contract use year is Aug. We plan to buy 25-50 points direct (also for the poly) after we close on our resale contract. When you add these direct points do you get to chose when your use year is or does it automatically align to when you purchase? I'm assuming its easiest to keep your contracts on the same use year.

I have a question about adding on points, we are in the process of buying 150 points resale at the poly.
We are expected to close beginning of Dec. Our resale contract use year is Aug. We plan to buy 25-50 points direct (also for the poly) after we close on our resale contract. When you add these direct points do you get to chose when your use year is or does it automatically align to when you purchase? I'm assuming its easiest to keep your contracts on the same use year.

You would just ask for these from your guide and specify the use year you want. Based on what I have read it sounds like matching use year is a very good idea.

I am in a similar boat - we closed on our 145 SSR resale contract and are waiting (impatiently) for our member number. I now, as many of the posters on the board allude to, want to visit WDW more often than we originally got points for... :earboy2: I am seriously contemplating adding 25 point direct in order to be "full" DVC members. I think I would specifically like to have points at an Epcot resort for future Food and Wine girls' weekends (either for two cheap nights or banking and borrowing across years) in order to take advantage of 7 month windows. However, we bought resale via cash and I would have to save up the $5k to purchase the direct points (current direct add on would be about $4,125 before closing through DVC). So, my question, should I try to get a 25 point add on a soon as I save the $5k at either BCV or BWV or wait for the Rivera to open to see if we can get a 25 point contract with promotions or for the longer contract length...

It's sad, but I think I am already addicted to the idea of DVC before we take our first trip on points. :mickeyjum:goofy::donald:

I would not be hopeful that there will be incentives for buying just 25 points at Riviera. People also seem to really enjoy walking to and from F&W, not taking a skybucket, so I would try to get in at BCV or BWV if you can. I have read that it can be difficult to do, though.

To buy 25 it'll have to be the same UY and titled the same. For 50 you could have a different UY or title but you wouldn't want to and I'd strongly recommend against it in this situation.. For others reading, the best approach for this situation would be to determine the number of points needed up front and buy those keeping in mind the 25 points add on. Normally one needs a 10-20% cushion depending on specifics. More for studios and/or lower seasons and more if avoiding weekends, less or possibly little or none if one calculated for larger villas & higher demand seasons. The savings on 200 points total at 175/25 vs 150/50 all for the same resort in this situation would be in the range of $1250 with no loss of options or benefits.

I do have another random 25 point add on question I hope someone could answer.

I have calculated the cost of the 25 points + closing cost. What other fees are there if any? (such as taxes, etc.)

I do have another random 25 point add on question I hope someone could answer.

I have calculated the cost of the 25 points + closing cost. What other fees are there if any? (such as taxes, etc.)

Those are worked into closing costs. To be safe, just budget $150 over what you would pay for points, and that should cover just about everything.

Those are worked into closing costs. To be safe, just budget $150 over what you would pay for points, and that should cover just about everything.

I figured that, but I knew someone here would know :) thanks a ton!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!