25 years of marriage in May 2020... thinking of Disney Land Paris (and France)

eleda72

Mouseketeer
Hello from Norway :)
I am NOT new to the Disboards, but we have been traveling to WDW frequently since 2001.
(Next trip to WDW would probably be in 2021/2022 for the 50`t aniversary and to celebrate my 50`s birhday)

My dh and I have been married for 25 years in May 2020, and when we had our honeymoon we went to Nice/France so I thought we might try Paris/Disneyland Paris for our Silver Wedding anniversary (and maybe a couple of days to Normandy)

So... I can find affordable flights from Norway to Paris all year long, but I would like to visit Paris/France in the spring
Since I am used to all the planning for WDW, I really don`t know where to start.

Is the beginning of May a good time to visit Paris?

And how many days would we need? I am thinking maybe one or two since we also would like to see more of Paris?

Not sure if we would be able to afford to stay on site, but I would check the prices... any suggestions for hotels? (onsite and offsite)

I really want to surprise my husband with this trip as a Christmas Present...
(but now I really want to jump on a plane and go right away.. to see the Haloween Party "LOL")

What is "MUST SEES" at Disney land Paris?
And what about THE FOOD? (I know many complaints about the food and my husband is a chèf so food is pretty important to us/him)

And, do they have something similar to the DAS pass at DLP?

Thank you, best from Adèle Marie

Howdy from another Norwegian :-)

I would say that you would need about 3 days at DLP.
I've stayed at both Santa Fe and Sequoia Lodge onsite. Both nice hotels, with Santa Fe cheaper money vise.
I've also stayed at Kyriad Hotel (now Campanile Val De France). That's also a nice hotel and more cheaper than Santa Fe if you want to save some money. You could for example book Campanile Val De France throught Expedia and then only buy park tickets for the days you need.
Last time we did that.

Ratatouille is one of my favorite attractions at DLP along with the Molly Brown Riverboat and the Disneyland Railroad.

Hej Norge! (that's the end of my knowledge of Norwegian)
Congratulations! Really a milestone which deserves a proper celebration :)

- Spring is a perfect time to visit France, I think the country is its most beautiful.
For Disneyland Paris... yes, May is a good time, but not the first week. Last week of April and first week of May are holiday weeks in many European countries, and for the first time there will be a run weekend from 8-10 May. If it's going to be anything like the September run weekends, it's going to be very busy. If you go during the later weeks in May you should be able to have beautiful weather and lower crowds.

- How many days
This really is a difficult question and depends on many factors. First questions to ask : how much of a Disney fan are you? Do you want to do it all, or are you satisfied with highlights. And second: Will you be back? As you are from Europe going back to France/Paris/DLP will be 'easier' than it is from international visitors.
You can do all the highlights in one day, with two days you will be able to fit in more of course.
No exact dates have been announced, but from March DLP will have a Marvel season with additional shows and meet & greets. If you are a Marvel fan, I would definitely go for 2 days.

- Hotels
Check several websites. In the top right corner of the screen of the DLP website you can change the country. Different countries can have different offers, it is allowed by EU law to shop around and get an offer from a different country.
First thing to keep in mind, DLP has hotels, not resorts like WDW. It's much more basic with less amenities. I am of the opinion that when you are in the park all day, you do not need to be in an expensive hotel. I would go for basic if you want to stay onsite. Disney also has some partner hotels which are cheaper, but do not include EMH. Otherwise along the subway route from Paris to DLP there are plenty of little villages with cheap hotels.

- Must Sees
If you are used to DLP, start with all the unique stuff and then the-same-but-different-rides. But Disney also has some good shows (and I am a show person) so I would definitely include Mickey and the Magician if you are to do 2 days or more.

- Food
Especially with your husband being a chef... In my opinion, go do great food experiences in Paris, and keep your expectations low in DLP. The food is extremely overpriced and as a good table service in France can take a few hours, which is then taking away from your limited park time. I think the food is better at the hotels, have a look at the restaurants in teh Disneyland hotel. They did have an upscale arrangement a while ago, but I am not sure if they still have it. It was called 'a sparkling experience'.
For most the food in the park is not disgusting, but it's also not amazing. It's mainly meh, themepark food. If you are into characters, the only one I find good value for money and a bit of interesting food is the princess breakfast at the Auberge. I had written a review https://www.disboards.com/threads/princess-breakfast-at-the-auberge-1jul19.3757688/
But all the pictures are gone, google will be able to help youthere.

- DAS pass,
Yes, there is. Unfortunately one of the DISers who knew most about it has left the boards after some discussions on a different part of DIS. I'll post some things from other threads in a new post..
In short: Get a doctor's note in English or French, not older than 3 months old, go to Guest Services and they can handle it there.

Maybe this thread will be of help as well, it has link to other FAQ threads.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/faq-1st-time-visitors-crowds-weather-language-wifi-money.3736354/

Handicaps:

General:

In DLP there are two type of priority cards, the Easy Access Card (orange) for temporary disabilities and the Priority Card (green) for permanent disabilities. To get a priority card you have to show proof of your disability at guest services (or bureau passport annual if you have an annual pass). Proof of disability can be an European Parking permit for disabled people or an European disability card. A letter from physician is also sufficient. The letter must be written in French or English, be printed on official paper or contain a stamp of the physician and can be no more than 3 months old. Whether you get an orange or a green card is completely at the discretion of the CM, there are reports of people using the same letter and on trip getting a green card, while the next trip they get orange. If you use a letter, make sure it’s noted why the disability prevents you from waiting in line and if it’s permanent. Without proof of disability, you won’t get a priority pass! Make sure your entire party is present when you apply for the card, the amount of people allowed to accompany you on the ride may depend on it. They will mark the tickets of the entire party. A maximum of 4 people are allowed to accompany you on rides and one person at the parade and shows.

More information about the specific rides can be found here:

https://brochure.disneylandparis.com/HCP/UK/catalogue/index.html

Easy Access Card (orange):

The easy access card, for temporary disabilities work kind of like a fast pass, but for all rides. Show your card to the CM at the entrance or the disabled entrance of the ride. Here you’ll get a return time noted on your card. The return time will be the current wait time, minus 10 minutes. At your return time, you can enter the ride via the disabled entrance. You can only have one active ride on your card at any given time.

Priority Card (green):

With the priority card you’ll be given direct access to the ride. Show your card to the CM at the entrance or the disabled entrance of the ride and you’ll be allowed on the ride.

Some handicaps require you to be accompanied by an abled body person. If this is the case for your handicap, you can get a free ticket for the person who accompanies you. You get this ticket at guest services outside of the park. It’s on the right of the main entrance, next to the luggage depot. Show your priority card or the proof of disability and your own entrance ticket to receive this ticket. If you don’t have a ticket yet, you can buy one while getting the accompany ticket.

Rentals:

You can rent a wheelchair in both parks. They are on a first come, first served basis, but you’re allowed to take them from one park to the other. They are very basic and not very comfortable. Good enough in case of an emergency, but if you can, take your own or rent elsewhere. Mobility scooters aren’t generally used in Europe and you can’t rent them on property.

Character meets:

Organized character meets with a priority card are organized in a fast pass like kind of way. Go to the handler of the character (with the entire group of people who’ll want to meet the character!) and show the card. The CM will note your name on a list and you’ll get a piece of paper with the time you can return. Because the piece will have the number of people in the party in it, it’s important everybody it there while you make the appointment. At your return time, show your paper to the CM and after one or two families it’ll be your turn to meet the character. Be advised there are a limited amount of time slots available and they do run out! If you really want to meet a character, make sure you’re there at the start of the session.

Meet Mickey and the princess pavilion have a separate entrance and their admission will be similar to rides.

In Walt Disney Studio’s they are currently using the Lineberty app for almost all meets. The priority cards are not valid at these meets. You’ll need to make a reservation in the app like everybody else.

There is nothing in place for the roaming characters. You might get lucky and encounter a CM who will honor the priority card, but most likely you won’t.

Hello again, and thank you for your thoughts and inputs. I am sorry that my answer came this late.
We are hoping to finalizing our plans and I have a billions more questions to ask, so I might just ask them in a new thread.
THANK YOU, best from Adèle Marie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!