2bd but only need a 1bd or studio

suebeelin

DIS Veteran
Booked a 2bd but family just backed out. It’s just the 4 of us (2 kids ages 6 and 9). We don’t need such a large space.

The trip is early October. Boardwalk. Standard. There’s no way we can rebook a studio or 1bd std during the fall rush. It’s just too much space and I’m feeling a wee bit financially strapped.

Help.

Can we ask the 2bd have different key entries so I can possibly rent out the studio portion?

No, if it is booked as a two bedroom lockoff, both rooms will be keyed alike. I would call member services and explain the situation and see if they can work some Disney Magic and you'll be able to keep one or the other, maybe they can, maybe they can't, but it is worth a try. I very much doubt you could keep both units, separated into two reservations... and if you could, it would take more points.

Your kids will enjoy making a pot of coffee in the morning in the studio portion. Yeah, they're only 6 and 9, but they have to start drinking coffee sometime. Or cancel the entire reservation (or rent it at a premium) and use the proceeds to pay for a room at the Swan or Dolphin. You get the same locale, but cheaper than booking BWI for cash.

I don't think they'll do it but I'd consider it worth the call to see if they will allow you to divide the lockoff and switch to one or the other You'd likely have to talk to a supervisor as there's probably no CM that can do it. And again, I think the odds are next to 'nil they'll do it but it is just a phone call to ask.

I would try what Chuck suggests. In 26 years, I've only asked for an exception once or twice. I found Member Services to be very understanding both times. Good luck.

If your family was paying for some of that 2br.. I would ask them for the cost back. If not than it's the same cost so just enjoy

OP - i’m not understanding the “financially strapped” piece. Were you charging your guests for a portion of the points and using that money to pay for other components of your trip or do you mean financially strapped because of using unnecessary points? If the former, do like others are saying and rent it all out and stay elsewhere. If not, enjoy the extra space. Starting around the ages of your kids is when we started always getting 2br and it was great.

This happened to us one time so I ended up renting the studio to someone we were acquaintances with. I told them that they would not have charging privileges and no one could get the dining plan. I got there first, made sure the shared door was locked up, handed them the key when they arrived and saw them when we made it back to work.

Also, as someone else said, in twenty years I have asked for one exception. They gladly did it. It doesn’t hurt to ask. If MS can help they usually tend to.

We've stayed in a 2BR with just the 4 of us many times. My kids are just couple years younger than yours. If nothing else that anyone has suggested works, enjoy the extra space. I have yet to stay in a 2BR and think that it was a mistake.

If I am missing something let me know. If this is a lockoff, not dedicated. Just call MS and ask for either the 1bdrm or the studio, whichever your family wants. Then the other side is open to all for renting. MS should be able to secure the one side at the same time as cancelling the full 2bdrm.

If I am missing something let me know. If this is a lockoff, not dedicated. Just call MS and ask for either the 1bdrm or the studio, whichever your family wants. Then the other side is open to all for renting. MS should be able to secure the one side at the same time as cancelling the full 2bdrm.
I'm not sure this is "normal" practice and if MS does this it would be an exception not the rule. Mostly because a 2 bedroom is booked and essentially if this is done you could be jumping any waitlists for those nights that might exist. Though it is worth the question to MS.

It's a BWV reservation and ALL 2 bedrooms at BWV are lock offs.

Worth a call to see if you can keep just the studio or the 1 bedroom. Since it's for October, where everything is booked up and there are certainly waitlists for both studios and 1 bedrooms , MS may allow it. It would be an exception that is not routinely granted, though. I'd call and ask.

It is not a normal thing they accommodate and I do understand since BWV only has 2br lockoffs and there could end up being a fair number of owners who book the 2brs “just in case” and then want to split if they end up needing only one room. I probably would do that. As popular as BWV is the rooms would almost certainly still end up being rebooked but it might shut out BWV owners at 11 months and go to non-BWV owners last minute. That’s not exactly fair to the BWV owner who wanted to book there and had to make alternate plans.

Booked a 2bd but family just backed out. It’s just the 4 of us (2 kids ages 6 and 9). We don’t need such a large space.

The trip is early October. Boardwalk. Standard. There’s no way we can rebook a studio or 1bd std during the fall rush. It’s just too much space and I’m feeling a wee bit financially strapped.

Help.

Can we ask the 2bd have different key entries so I can possibly rent out the studio portion?
I had that situation in December of 2013: had a 2BR for 7 people and 4 had to cancel for a serious child’s eye traumatic injury! Could cancel but had to use points borrowed for the Ressie by end of use year! We were driving from home in the NW and were 600 Miles’s away
Was told by MS I could move to different resorts every day or two if there was an opening!
I chose for the 3 of us to have a quiet
Christmas in a 2 bedroom ! My adult daughter loved her two queen beds!!!
We did see injured grandson in intensive care and promised we’d take him back when he was all better!
We did a familty trio whdn everyoe could finally Make it Spring if 2016. Grandson had to have more eye surgeries! He’s fine now but it was a rough couple of years !!!
Did you buy the trip insurance?????

We may have the same situation as family members are having difficulty getting time off from work for our trip. We've got a 2 BR lock-off booked for spring 2020.. OP, please let us know if you're able to get your ressie changed to a 1 BR or studio. If it can't be done, we're just going to spread out and enjoy all the extra room ( but feel a little guilty taking an accommodation that someone else might want).

We may have the same situation as family members are having difficulty getting time off from work for our trip. We've got a 2 BR lock-off booked for spring 2020.. OP, please let us know if you're able to get your ressie changed to a 1 BR or studio. If it can't be done, we're just going to spread out and enjoy all the extra room ( but feel a little guilty taking an accommodation that someone else might want).
I was not able to get a 1 bedroom so 3 of us rattled around in a 2 BR dedicated

Heck we rattled around - 4 of us - in a BWV Grand Villa after my brother in law passed away three months before the trip.

OP - I'd try and rent the studio portion to friends you wouldn't mind sharing space with - they'd have their own door, you can set the magic bands to different credit cards (but you can't rekey them to rooms - so it has to be someone you don't mind sharing space with). You have time to find someone.

We couldn't do it because everything was up in the air - as it often is when a death occurs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!