2BR AKL Kidani or...

Yinn

DIS Veteran
It was a cold morning, 11 months out. I had my cup of coffee and patiently waited for 8am; I was on a mission. I was to grab a 2 BR Value at AKL...I failed. So I grabbed a 2BR Standard instead. Mildly disappointed but still satisfied that I got my reservations done with. We had done the research, point to value. We wanted a kitchen. We knew which restaurants we wanted. We knew AK was close by for any needed bus transfers.

These plans stayed and we're now 4 months out from the trip and things are changing. We're no longer flying in, we're driving. The access to a car changes everything for us, in the past staying on Disney property meant we didn't need to rent a car so we've never rented a car and stayed on property. If we had a car, we'd always stay off property. Because it meant magical express isn't as important. It also means outside food, groceries are far more accessible. Even bus transportation doesn't have to be relied on (ie, dinner reservations at other resorts)

So now I'm questioning everything. Should we still stay at AK? It's our home resort so we know it. Should we use this opportunity to stay at a resort we don't normally stay at? OKW and SSR as an example would always be eliminated because of their internal bus routes. Should I just save the points and grab an off property for this trip?

Points wise it's going to be a 145 point trip at AKLK. Going to SSR would be ~140, OKW would be ~150, or we could even go up to a treehouse for ~190.

At 4 months out you’ll be hard pressed to find anything. I would personally keep the reservation I had because its been set for so long and we don’t like to change things last minute. You could probably wait list at another resort if you wanted but there’s not guarantee it’s going to come through.

How many are in your group? I'm pretty sure Kindani has 3 bathrooms, SSR has two.

How many are in your group? I'm pretty sure Kindani has 3 bathrooms, SSR has two.

It’ll be 4 adults and 2 kids. It’s not many.

At 4 months out you’ll be hard pressed to find anything. I would personally keep the reservation I had because its been set for so long and we don’t like to change things last minute. You could probably wait list at another resort if you wanted but there’s not guarantee it’s going to come through.

There isn’t much, but SSR, OKW seems to be pretty consistently available.

It sounds like that with a car your intent will be to drive to the parks to avoid multiple stops within the resort. I do not know whether it will be finished within four months but be aware that there is currently a lot of construction of something going on in a large area outside the front entrances of both AK and Studios, including where the trams from the parking lots would usually leave you off. The result is that the tram is now leaving you off very far from the front entrance and you have a long walk to the park if you park a car. With MK always leaving you forever from the entrance when you park, that means three parks where taking the bus would be better and AKV, though distance is longer to three of the parks, has only two resort stops (and often only one at rush times for MK) in comparison to OKW's and SSR's multiple stops..

If the kids are under 12, the water park play area at Kidani is definitely a plus, as are other resort activities.

With six, I would still favor the three bathrooms at Kidani.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter