2nd private island

That's great news! Though I was hoping they would build more things on Castaway Cay. There's still a lot of space to be used, but 1/ it might not be environmentally safe to do so and 2/ it wouldn't mean that more ships would be able to dock anyway, so they do need a second place. I can't wait to see all the concept art and plans for the new island!

Last edited:
That's great news! Though I was hoping they would build more things on Castaway Cay. There's still a lot of space to be used, but 1/ it might be environmentally safe to do so and 2/ it wouldn't mean that more ships would be able to dock anyway, so they do need a second place. I can't wait to see all the concept art and plans for the new island!

So exciting to potentially have a new place to visit!

Last edited:

It says in the article Scott over at Disney Cruise Line Blog posted that in the proposal they also spoke of having public access and there are already resorts on Eleuthera including Princess'. This doesn't sound like a private island...? I wonder if they're considering having people stay over night there? People have wanted to do that at CC since inception... smells like a mix of DCL and DVC to me. :scratchin

https://disneycruiselineblog.com/20...es-proposal-for-lighthouse-point-development/

Well those are interesting details...

We're not. We like pools better. And don't really enjoy the food on the island either.
oh, well that explains it. I agree on the food though.

It is interesting how many cruises are in your signature but you don't like the beach. Just out of curiosity, what do you normally do?

Disney was not actually involved here, if I remember right. it is a local effort to get someone to port there. I had heard they were pitching DCL, not the other way around.

Actually, most of the locals at Lighthouse point do NOT want a POC there. They have been fighting to keep DCL (or any other line) from developing it. The Bahamanian government however wants to lease it out to make money, so they put it up on the market.

https://www.change.org/p/dr-hon-hubert-alexander-minnis-save-lighthouse-point

http://www.lighthousepoint-pc.org/

This is actually the second island / place that DCL looked at. They first tried to acquire egg island, but determined that the environmental impact would be too great. So they are looking at what can be done at lighthouse point and if the ecology will support it.

My personal opinion - I think DCL did a good job with Castaway Cay in keeping the environment largely unaltered - it cost them a lot of money to do that. I think they will do a better job at lighthouse point than other cruise lines or destinations that might purchase lighthouse point and I as much as I understand the locals desire to keep it pristine, the bottom line is the government needs / wants the money - the local voices don't matter unless they are willing to shell out a lot of tax money.

oh, well that explains it. I agree on the food though.

It is interesting how many cruises are in your signature but you don't like the beach. Just out of curiosity, what do you normally do?

We love to explore a city/island - usually walking tours or we'll hire a car for the day. We've enjoyed getting a day pass at a hotel/resort with a great pool. Love wildlife excursions such as the sea turtle release on Cozumel or cultural excursions such as Mayan ruins in Costa Maya. Also active excursions such as (river) tubing. Oh and eating local food! We never run out of things to do/see. We're more fans of the Western itinerary but recently did the Baths on Tortola with a little beach time and also snorkeling on St. John also with a little beach time. We did a back to back Southern a few years ago and don't think we spent a day on the beach but that was one of our best cruise(s) vacations. If Disney had better pools, we'd stay onboard for CC. We'll probably be doing that on the Harmony when she docks in Labadee in November.

I think a second island would be great but the whole point of CC is that is only available to Disney meaning you don't have to worry about another cruise line showing up which is awesome. They could build out another island and I'm sure it will be fun but having only 1 ship at a time makes it really cool.

Thanks TiggerBouncy!

This preliminary proposed land use study graphic for Lighthouse Point from the above link is interesting...

upload_2018-9-4_16-12-21.png

Image is a little fuzzy, but readable. You can see the location for dock/pier, trails, beaches, and other recreation areas.

Edit: Now I see the same graphic posted on Disneycruiselineblog per the link Aquadame posted. :badpc: Oh well...but I guess it doesn't hurt to show everyone directly here. :)

Last edited:
Thanks TiggerBouncy!

This preliminary proposed land use study graphic for Lighthouse Point from the above link is interesting...

View attachment 348376

Image is a little fuzzy, but readable. You can see the location for dock/pier, trails, beaches, and other recreation areas.

It's actually my first time taking a good look at that. Is the a long walkway to the pier or are they going to ferry people in? I assume it's a walkway, but it looks really long.

It's actually my first time taking a good look at that. Is the a long walkway to the pier or are they going to ferry people in? I assume it's a walkway, but it looks really long.

It does look long when you compare it to beach area length. I assume it's a long pier and DCL would tram people in like CC, but regardless that seems like a lot of construction for such a pier.

The study map does not have a scale so it is hard to tell. It does seem similar to the RCCL pier in Labadee. Satellite image below has a Oasis class ship docked for some perspective.
upload_2018-9-4_18-17-28.jpeg

I think a second island would be great but the whole point of CC is that is only available to Disney meaning you don't have to worry about another cruise line showing up which is awesome. They could build out another island and I'm sure it will be fun but having only 1 ship at a time makes it really cool.

My understanding is the second area may not be a private island, but the boundaries would be private, so it would have the same level of control where you're in "Disney space." In the same sense that WDW isn't an island, but it's effectively isolated. They control everything so they can assure that your experience is going to be a positive one.

Is the a long walkway to the pier or are they going to ferry people in? I assume it's a walkway, but it looks really long.

I just used Google Earth to measure an actual land feature at Lighthouse Point and then compared same feature on Disney graphic to scale the image...so that I could estimate pier length. The Lighthouse Point pier (from end of dock to mainland) as drawn would be roughly 0.3 miles, which is a lot shorter than it looked to me.

Comparatively, in Google Earth again, I measured the walking distance from dock to tram loading zone at Castaway Cay to be 0.1 miles. [Also, the RCCL pier in Labadee measured as 0.08 miles.]

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter