• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"3 and under" vs "under 3" at the resorts...I was wrong. And update on our plan

Barb D

DIS Veteran
I was wrong about 5 in a room being OK at All Stars as long as one is 3 or under. Sigh... A CM had told me that last week, but when I called to make the ressies today the computer wouldn't allow it.

And now for the longer version of the story:

I called today to attempt to make our ressies for November. Our first choice was the Contemporary at the Shades of Green rate ($95 in our case.) No go -- all booked. (They offered us Doubletree Suites at $129, but that's too much. The only reason we were willing to go up to $95 was to get the monorail.)

Second choice was All Stars at the $55 code rate. I had called last week and was told it was OK to have 5 in a room as long as one was *3 or under.* Well, the CM tried to put us all in one room, but the computer wouldn't let her. It didn't matter that they had TOLD me that it was OK; the computer simply wouldn't allow it. Youngest DD will turn 3 a week before the trip.

Third choice was PO with a trundle bed. No go again -- all booked.

So now we're booked in TWO rooms at All Star Sports. At least we got the $55 code rate. We'll have two bathrooms, and we'll be able to have a couple of my sister's kids stay with us if we want to. (She has 8.5 kids and lives in Orlando.) I might be tempted to do the Doubletree thing for a little less money, but this way isn't much more and we'll get more room and another bathroom.

I'll be calling Shades of Green periodically hoping for a cancellation, and possibly checking into some other offsite options, too.

You will have to get the roll-a-way bed at an addition $15 a night.

If that interest you.

Lori

6/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 POFQ, AKL & Magic, 1/2002 ASMo & AKL, 12/2002 ASMu & Poly

I think you would have been crowded in one room.It's not the peopel as much as the "stuff". We stayed in two rooms at ASMo in jan (4 adults, 1 child). I think you will be very comfy in two rooms and the two bathrooms will come in handy in bathing the kids, etc. I am assuming she guarnateed you connecting rooms , since you have more children than adults. At night you can put the kids to bed in one room and you and Dh can stay up and watch TV or whatever. We did that when we went . One room was quiet at night and the other one was for those who wanted to stay up and chat.

We have stayed with a 3 and under in one AS. It was a tight squeeze! So much stuff is needed to do disney right! I think you will love the exrtra bathroom.

Originally posted by eller
You will have to get the roll-a-way bed at an addition $15 a night.

If that interest you.

Lori

6/1997 Off site, 2/2000 Off site, 2/2001 Poly, 10/2001 POFQ, AKL & Magic, 1/2002 ASMo & AKL, 12/2002 ASMu & Poly

However, the maximum occupancy is still 4. You cannot have 5.

perhaps you could get a king size bed for one of the rooms since the All-Stars standard room has 2 double beds. DH & I can't sleep in the same double bed so we always end up sleeping one parent & one boy per bed

I called and asked myself. We have a family of 5; two of which are young. As they get older we will stay at a deluxe or two rooms at the All Stars. We really enjoyed our stay at the ASMo.

Lori

Actually, DH isn't going. He doesn't do Disney. Grandma is coming for her third trip in a row. Four double beds will suit us jst fine. This way my mom won't have to share a bed with any kicking, squirming grandchildren.

:Pinkbounc <-My 2yo sleeping soundly

sorry if this seems obvious to most
(She has 8.5 kids and lives in Orlando.)
What is half a kid? Is that a small child or one that only stays with you part of the time?

Originally posted by fervour
sorry if this seems obvious to most
What is half a kid? Is that a small child or one that only stays with you part of the time?

She's expecting #9. :D

Originally posted by eller
I called and asked myself. We have a family of 5; two of which are young. As they get older we will stay at a deluxe or two rooms at the All Stars. We really enjoyed our stay at the ASMo.

Lori

I just called CRO, and they confirmed that you cannot unless you book a Double/Double Suite or 2BR Suite. For a 2 double bed (standard or water view) room, it is "four adults maximum, plus one child under age three in a crib". She said that the only moderate you can have 5 at is Port Orleans-Riverside, in a "Standard View with trundle" or "Water View with trundle" room type.

I'll tell you how the conversation went.

Me: Can you sleep 5?

CM: No.

Me: What if we get a roll-a-way?

CM: Yes, you can sleep 5 if you have a roll-a-way. The charge is $15 per night.

You have to be presistant to get what you want.

Try, try again.

Lori

They said that the computer will not allow a 5th person. I've never heard of anyone booking a room with 5, so I assume that the information is correct - since the "4 people" is set on the fire code, not CSR.

One other thing. We've gotten a rollaway bed at the All-Stars before, and those rooms have a "maximum occupancy of 4" also. Most resorts do offer rollaway beds (WL does not, none of the DVC resorts do, and a few others might now).

I wish I could talk from personal experience, but CSR did not come out with a discount or we would be staying there instead of at ASMu.

Whenever we do get to stay there, I'll let you know how it works out.

Lori

I do not know if this is true or not, but I had heard that PO-Riverside was the only moderate that can have five to a room. If I remember correctly, it also said the rooms there were a little bigger than other moderates.

Port Orleans, Riverside, Alligator Bayou section is the only section of a moderate that you can sleep 5. eller, I'm sure you are correct in the CM telling you this, but the CM was wrong. The fire codes don't allow 5 in a moderate (except for POR-AB).

However, it's not because of size. Port Orleans Riverside, French Quarter, and Coronado Springs all have the same size rooms standard rooms - 315 square feet. Caribbean Beach has 340 square feet (same size as at Wilderness Lodge), and Coronado Springs does also have some suites available.

How does that make since? The rooms are all about the same size (so why should the fire code be any different for Riverside)? I often thought about this. If the other moderates had a trundle, then wouldnt five be ok too? Maybe disney should add trundles to some other mod resorts, so that a family of 5 have more options.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter