3 nights, no parks.... SSR or OKW.

DVCTigger

DIS Veteran
DH and I are thinking of adding up to three nights at WDW after our week at Vero Beach. We have spent a week in the past at SSR, very busy family reunion park filled trip. And a two night stay at OKW pre cruise, again all park visit. Wondering your thoughts on which resort would be better for just the two of us, studio, when we won't be heading to the parks. Leaning toward SSR now for the convenience to DTD. Able to walk there to catch a resort bus for dinners, boardwalk, Yee Haw Bob, mini golf, etc. TIA for your ideas! :thumbsup2

DH and I are thinking of adding up to three nights at WDW after our week at Vero Beach. We have spent a week in the past at SSR, very busy family reunion park filled trip. And a two night stay at OKW pre cruise, again all park visit. Wondering your thoughts on which resort would be better for just the two of us, studio, when we won't be heading to the parks. Leaning toward SSR now for the convenience to DTD. Able to walk there to catch a resort bus for dinners, boardwalk, Yee Haw Bob, mini golf, etc. TIA for your ideas! :thumbsup2

I'd lean to SSR as well. Love the quiet pool at Congress Park which overlooks DTD. Love the fact that DTD is so accessible. And honestly -- for the two of you, I really think SSR is a bit more romantic. ;)

I also would vote for SSR. My husband and I have done non-park trips several times and really like SSR's paths for strolling together. Also like the pools and the location is great for walking downtown and hopping on buses to other resorts for dining options. Hope you have a good time!

I'd lean to SSR as well. Love the quiet pool at Congress Park which overlooks DTD. Love the fact that DTD is so accessible. And honestly -- for the two of you, I really think SSR is a bit more romantic. ;)

I also would vote for SSR. My husband and I have done non-park trips several times and really like SSR's paths for strolling together. Also like the pools and the location is great for walking downtown and hopping on buses to other resorts for dining options. Hope you have a good time!

Thanks for your responses! :goodvibes We haven't done SSR as a couple yet, and we walk every day, so that is a bonus for us!

Anyone else? What would we miss out on at OKW? Is there a walking path from OKW to DTD?

SSR, I like the theming and grounds much better than OKW.

I think OKW is too far of a walk to DTD.

There is a walking/running path from OKW to DTD. But it's much more convenient to take the boat from the HH. And a very pleasant boat ride too.

We just spent 6N at AK - really loved the people we interacted with at the Ukazim Pool bar, Victoria Falls, Saana and Jiko bars in a value AK studio with a pool view.

We've also enjoyed past park-free visits at SSR and OKW to enjoy DTD access.

We've enjoyed the BW/BC area - mini-golf Dolphin's Cabana Bar, ESPN, River Grill, all the evening BW, Hurricane Hanna's, Crew Cup and entertainment along with fireworks view form the bridge facing Epcot. My cousin just stayed at BC and enjoyed her time there.

We just spent 6N at AK - really loved the people we interacted with at the Ukazim Pool bar, Victoria Falls, Saana and Jiko bars in a value AK studio with a pool view.

We've also enjoyed past park-free visits at SSR and OKW to enjoy DTD access.

We've enjoyed the BW/BC area - mini-golf Dolphin's Cabana Bar, ESPN, River Grill, all the evening BW, Hurricane Hanna's, Crew Cup and entertainment along with fireworks view form the bridge facing Epcot. My cousin just stayed at BC and enjoyed her time there.

AKV is our home resort, our favorite!!! We have stayed there almost every trip, and finally branching out again. Besides.....it's unavailable for the days we need. ;) Right now our only options available without wait listing at least one night are SSR and OKW.

DH and I did a resort only trip to SSR last month and it was perfect! Loved the access to DTD.

We also walked to OKW (and back) so I would assume walking from OKW to DTD would be easy. It was under 2 miles to OKW from SSR. FYI....the CMs were very unhelpful when it came to obtaining the information on how to walk to OKW so if you intend to I would plan ahead. One CM told us it was 4 miles and we almost didn't do it based on that. I am glad we ignored her.

Either are good for a non park trip but I will also say SSR is a better option. I stayed here a week without going to the parks and like the extra walking paths and being able to walk to DTD.

Since it's just the two of you, you may prefer the sofa/queen studio configuration over the two queen configuration. We do. That means SSR over OKW, but both are beautiful and in the end, it probably doesn't matter which you choose. You'll still have a great time!

Something else to consider is the layout of the studios. OKW Is great when you need two beds, but I think it feels like more of a regular hotel room. SSR Studio has the feel of a little Apartment with the sitting area, a nice bonus when it's just two of you.

More good information, thank you all for your responses! Pretty sure we will spend our days at SSR. Besides, we will just be coming from Vero Beach, and I know those rooms have the same footprint as OKW. Proximity to DTD I think is key. Now I just need to figure out what is best to request for our room!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter