3 Trips in 1 year with a Side of Baseball and Scotland - Updated 10/3 The End

tazdev3225

<font color=darkorchid>I sucked my thumb up with t
I debated doing a Trip Report on any of my trips. Since the 1st trip was almost a year ago I really debated for a long time. Many of my DIS friends have moved on so I knew I wouldn't have many readers or comments. I changed my mind.

So 3 trips in one year??? Yep you read that right and two of the trips were/are solo!!! I married a non-Disney loving man. The horror in that. We have been married for 35 years so I have adjusted but what helps is he doesn't care if I go alone or meet a friend. He's a keeper. I did get him to join me for one of the trips to Disney and that is where the baseball comes in.

I also managed to go to Scotland this year for a week in July with my mother. This isn't always a good thing as my mother HATES Disney so we are not always in agreement. She also treats me like a child. I get that I am her child but I have grandkids I don't need to be told what to do or lectured.

So who went on these trips and how did they all come about? Pull up a chair and get comfortable. Get some coffee or whatever to drink. This is the longest part of the report but there will be a few pictures to break it up.

First there is me. I answer to Lorrie, Mom, Grandmom, Hey You, Sis, Grumpy pretty much anything. I was a SAHM with a part time job for many years. I was a School Crossing Guard in my former life before grandkids. I earned money but was able to be at home with my kids. Best of both worlds. I am retired which gives me plenty of time to travel and spend time with my EIGHT grandkids. They range in age from 1 year to 18 years old. I have turned some of them on to the love of all things Disney. The little ones will be introduced to Disney in a year or so.

Here I am so you at least have an idea. I am the one behind the camera on most trips so not many pictures of just me. These were from my Disney Cruise a few years ago.

My first trip was in June 1988 when my youngest was a baby. My parents didn't vacation so this was my 1st real vacation and I was in love. I was introduced to Disney at a very early age though. For my 1st Christmas I got a set of vinyl Snow White and the Seven Dwarves dolls. I still had Grumpy many years later.

And just because they are so cute here are my kids on their very 1st trip

My baby

And the older 2 with Goofy. No lines back then, it was a mob scene. They are the boy and girl in the foreground

So I have a few favorites. Characters: Grumpy and Eeyore - they are just misunderstood
Rides: It depends on the park but 2 I try to never miss are It's A Small World and Carousel of Progress. I rode them at the 1964 World's Fair.
Parks: No stand out favorite as I enjoy them all but Hollywood Studios is my least favorite at the moment.

My husband will be joining me on one trip. He goes by Jim, Dad, Poppy, Knot and a few names I can't repeat. Just kidding.

He is not a huge fan of Disney but he LOVES Donald Duck and does a pretty good voice. He does terrify one of our grandsons with it though. He loves fast rides and he doesn't really like the parks.

Here he is on our first trip

He is a bit of a clown. This was at Cozumel when I told him to stop so I could get a picture of him with the Magic.

And just to show he has a serious side on occasion the 2 of us together

Scotland I will be joined by my mom. She goes by Mom, Grandmom, Hon (my Dad refuses to call her by her given name Esther) and my favorite Big Grandmom! My grandkids call her that and she wasn't happy at first. We all laugh because my mom is only 4'11".

She does NOT like Disney. She has been there three times and after the last trip she was done. She went with me and let's just say it's a miracle we both came home alive.

Here we are together at the end of the 1st day. She was already forcing a smile

So there you have the WHO.

Now the Why. I know as if we ever really need a reason. Unfortunately I really did have a need to get away. In October 2014 I was in the ER with my grandson. He sprained his ankle playing football for his High School. What I didn't know was that my dad was in the same hospital having outpatient surgery. My parents were waiting to tell my brothers and I anything til after they had results. I wish I had known so I would have been prepared for what they told us. My dad had cancer. It was supposedly caught early and they got it all with that surgery. He was just going to need some kind of weird treatment. Not chemo or radiation though. It was Bladder cancer and even though he had quit smoking 50 years earlier it still got him.

The treatments didn't start til January so I was worried. Now we live along the I95 corridor so we get snow.

It is beautiful to look at but it turns to ice. That is not as beautiful. My dad had his first treatment right after we got the snow. Unfortunately he then fell down his front steps because of the ice and he got hurt - BADLY!!! My mom called her primary rather than take him to an ER. She should have taken him to the hospital. He broke his wrist, and had fractures on his spine. He also had a bad bump on his head. My dad was in his late 70's and has a heart condition which requires him to be on blood thinners. He still wound up in the hospital. His heart went haywire. It was probably a good thing in a way as they found his one kidney wasn't functioning properly. The bad thing during the stay is that not ONE orthopedist came in to see him. Finally he was discharged and the treatments started again. I still had my doubts about it all. We did joke that we would put dad on a rotisserie for his treatment. Picture Jack Sparrow with the headhunters. His treatment involved him rolling around to "slosh" the meds in his bladder. They were at least keeping an eye on his heart. His wrist was finally casted right after he left the hospital, so all was right with the world again. Or was it???

Nothing is ever that easy. We no sooner had dad going in the right direction than we get a phone call from Jim's niece. She NEVER calls!!!! We chat on Facebook. I listened in and watched the color completely drain from Jim's face. I knew this was bad. I didn't know how bad. His sister had Stage 4 lung, liver and bone cancer. She had 6 months at best. We called our kids and they took it very hard, especially my youngest. My son shocked me but made me so proud of him. His response, "Dad give me 5 minutes to call my sergeant then come and get me. We are going to the hospital now." I had a touch of the flu and couldn't go and I know Jim wanted to see his sister. My son who has avoided these situations his entire life really stepped up.

My sister in law unfortunately lasted less than 3 weeks. We did have time to say our good byes but it was heart breaking. Here I am happy that my dad looked like he was going to be OK and Jim's sister died.

Here's a picture of Jim with his sister and his niece in better days

Life went on and I wanted to do something to cheer Jim up. While watching my grandson pitch in one of his High School games it came to me - Spring Training! I would give Jim Spring Training for Christmas. I called my son and we started thinking about how to do it and yet surprise him as he needs to put in for vacation days. Jim had been telling me, "GO TO DISNEY!" ever since we found out my dad was sick but I ignored him. I figured Disney and Spring Training - we both win.

Then the other shoe dropped - again! My mom called to tell me that my dad was not only NOT doing better he was worse. The cancer was now invasive because they never got all of the tumors out to begin with and now involved the kidney they were worried about after his fall. They were waiting on the doctors to send him to an oncologist. He never saw one to begin with? We live in a city with a top rated cancer center and they waited? I just hung up and burst into tears. Jim said, "GO TO DISNEY, NOW!"

I texted my friend Scott, ScottNY here on the Dis, and asked if he minded if we met once or twice if I came down during his trip? Not only didn't he mind he put me in touch with a friend and I rented points so that I was staying at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. I booked airfare and was set. I tried to plan my mom & dad's 60th anniversary surprise party. I figured if I planned the party dad had to be OK. My mom started planning her own party. We collaborated. While dad was in surgery for 8 hours we planned to keep our minds busy. Dad did do well and we had the anniversary party with about 100 of our friends, relatives and church members. My dad is a much loved person.

Mom and dad renewing their vows. Mom was adamant that wouldn't happen. HA HA HA! I loved the way my dad just reached over and put his hand on her shoulder.

And the new Mr. Mrs. again. 60 years later and they still look at each other with the same love they had the day they married.

Anyway Trip 1 was planned. I would go from September 28 to October 2nd. It was a short trip but all I could do on such short notice. I was staying at a Deluxe Studio standard view at the Animal Kingdom Lodge with no dining plan. I got tickets from the Disney Store and they didn't work. I called tech Support and found out they were outdated. The manager at the Disney Store was really nice and refunded the money since it was obvious that in 12 hours I didn't go to Disney and use an entire 5 day PH. I went to AAA and got the ticket there and actually saved a few dollars. I made some FP+ selections. Booked air on Southwest down and American Airlines home. Southwest never has a decent return flight.

Trip 2 was still a work in progress. I will get to that trip after I finish Trip 1.

Hope you are still me. Updates will be a little shorter with a lot more pictures. Please join in, say Hi, like the page, anything to let me know that I am on the right track. Thanks for reading along

Joining in your trip report from the start. I have a large coffee in hand. :surfweb:

I love the old photo of you with your vinyl dwarfs. That's amazing to have been on Small World and Carousel of Progress at the 1964 World's Fair. You must be very busy with 8 grandkids - I'm sure they are all very special to you. Those are lovely photos of your Mum and Dad's 60th and I'm sure it was a special celebration for all the family. Although many of your old Dis friends have moved on I'm sure you will make many new friends. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Joining in your trip report from the start. I have a large coffee in hand. :surfweb:

I love the old photo of you with your vinyl dwarfs. That's amazing to have been on Small World and Carousel of Progress at the 1964 World's Fair. You must be very busy with 8 grandkids - I'm sure they are all very special to you. Those are lovely photos of your Mum and Dad's 60th and I'm sure it was a special celebration for all the family. Although many of your old Dis friends have moved on I'm sure you will make many new friends. I'm looking forward to reading more!

Thank you for joining in. I know I am being read but it's always nice to have a response.

My mom gave me a bunch of photos from when I was little and that was among them. She may not like Disney but she is the one who introduced me to my love at a very early age.

I still remember that trip and it does make those rides very special to me. Of course it also reveals that I am old! I love all 8 of those kids more than words can describe. I am busy planning a huge trip next year with all but one of them and 2 of my kids, my daughter's BFF's, my adopted grandson, 2 other kids, I think in total it's going to be 19 people and 4 rooms.

The anniversary party turned out great and so many people showed up. I was happy that we were able to do it for them.

My friends have moved on sadly but I am really hoping some people will stop in, say Hi and soon I will have some new friends. I will be starting with the 1st trip today or tomorrow so not as boring and a lot more pictures.

I'm sorry you had such a rough run of events but I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trips!

I'm sorry you had such a rough run of events but I'm looking forward to hearing all about your trips!
:welcome: Thanks for joining in. It was a rough year but that's life. On the bright side my dad is doing great. And I managed to get a few trips along the way to deal with the stress. As soon as I remember where I put my notebook I will be getting on with the trip.

:welcome:Thanks for joining in. It was a tough year or so but we got through it and thankfully my dad is doing really great now.

Trip 1 - Day 1 September 30th

I was up early, 4 AM, to shower. I was worried about getting to the airport and wanted a little extra time. I forgot to check in with Southwest the night before until after 7 so I had a B boarding group. I wasn't that concerned about it but we had Pope Francis here in Philly and I knew people would be heading home.

I showed Jim where the food for all his meal was and he ignored me. I grabbed my backpack and suitcase and he grabbed the dog. Of course Jim forgot to put gas in the car so we had to stop for that first. Chewbacca wasn't happy. She knew one of us was leaving so she watched him the whole time he was out of the car.

Finally gassed up we were on the road by around 4:45 AM. We actually made really good time as traffic was very light and we were at the airport by a little after 5 AM. I was right to worry about the lines as they were long. Things moved fast though and I was checked in by about 5:20. And believe it or not I flew threw the TSA stop. A quick swab of my ankle race and I was done. I was preboarded because of my ankle so I got a window seat in aisle 2. I had my I-Pod and Kindle so I was set. The plane boarded quickly and there were no hold ups so we were in the air on time. I took a picture of the sunrise

And then I put the camera away for the rest of the flight. It was cloudy so really not much to see anyway. The flight was a little bumpy but we made great time and landed 30 minutes early. I made a quick bio stop, a ride on the fake monorail and by 9:15 AM I was in line at the Magical Express. By 9:30 I was on my way to Disney. I got a call from Walker Mobility and my scooter would be at the resort around the same time I got there. I hate needing to get the scooter and resist ordering it as long as I can but I have knee issues and torn cartilage in my ankle so no choice. Then I got a text that my room was ready. So far everything was going great.

It wasn't long until this wonderful sight came into view

The bus stopped at Art of Animation and then POP Century before finally heading to Animal Kingdom Lodge. I ran into Scott and Vinny right after I got off of the bus. They were heading out to a park but I knew I would be seeing them later in the day. The scooter was there within minutes so I headed to my room. It wasn't easy to find at first but had a pretty view of the pool. I dropped off my backpack just taking my camera and headed right back out to the bus stop.

My good luck continued as a bus for EPCOT pulled up almost immediately and by 11 AM I was in my first park. It had been a long morning already and I was hungry so I headed to the Land and Sunshine Seasons for my first meal.

I love the Strawberry Shortcake there. After getting a little something in me I went on Living with the Land. It was right there and no wait. Of course I took pictures.
This was one of my favorites

And a Snake Gourd. They really did resemble snakes

After that it was off to the World Showcase. Another update will come tomorrow.

These reports sound like just the medicine I need! I too have had my fill of tragedy. I lost my Dad a couple years ago, my older brother less than a year ago and my nephew 3 months ago. Enough is all I can say, but then no matter how bad we think things are, there is always someone who has more tragedy.

Anyway I can't wait to read more.

What a hard year you all had! So sorry you had to go through all of that!

Love this picture!

:welcome: It was an incredibly hard year but we got through it and that's what counts in the end. Thanks about the picture. Every now and then I get a good picture and amaze myself.

These reports sound like just the medicine I need! I too have had my fill of tragedy. I lost my Dad a couple years ago, my older brother less than a year ago and my nephew 3 months ago. Enough is all I can say, but then no matter how bad we think things are, there is always someone who has more tragedy.

Anyway I can't wait to read more.

:welcome: I am so sorry for your losses. I agree while we get caught up in our own lives we tend to forget that there is always some one who could be in an even worse situation. I have the first trip done so now I just need to get it on here. There will be more coming and plenty of pictures.

I love Living With The Land - the first ride of it in a trip it is one of those "Aah, I'm at Disney" contented moments.

It sounds like your trip started really smoothly, I hope that continues!

I love Living With The Land - the first ride of it in a trip it is one of those "Aah, I'm at Disney" contented moments.

It sounds like your trip started really smoothly, I hope that continues!

Living with the Land really was a great way to start the trip. The trip really did have a smooth start thankfully. I will be posting updates soon. I just got my bedroom redone and new furniture so now I have to get my house back together

I'm joining in too! Excited to read about all 3 trips! So sorry to hear about your sis-in-law but glad you got to say your goodbyes :hug: Keeping your father in our thoughts and prayers that he recovers fully - was so sweet to see the vow renewal pics!

Loved the flower pic of Living With The Land - I just love that attraction! Always learn something new each trip!

I'm joining in too! Excited to read about all 3 trips! So sorry to hear about your sis-in-law but glad you got to say your goodbyes :hug: Keeping your father in our thoughts and prayers that he recovers fully - was so sweet to see the vow renewal pics!

Loved the flower pic of Living With The Land - I just love that attraction! Always learn something new each trip!

:welcome:Losing my SIL was hard as it happened so quickly but it was wonderful being able to say good-bye. Thanks for the prayers. So far Dad is doing really well but he needs to go for scans every 3 months for a couple of more years so prayers are appreciated.

That really was one of my favorite pics from the ride. I keep saying my grandkids should do a science fair project on hydroponics.

Day 1 - Part 2

After Living with the Land I headed off to the World Showcase and it was crowded! More than I expected for late September. I didn't let that stop me from one of my main reasons for this trip - the Food & Wine Festival. I was in search of food booths.

First up was Ireland. I got the Kerrygold Cheese Selection: Reserve Cheddar, Dubliner with Irish Stout and Skellig, $4.25

This was good but not great. The piece of bread was dry, one of the cheeses was VERY salty and the compote was too sweet to balance it out.

I also got the Warm Chocolate Pudding with Kerrygold Irish Cream Liqueur Custard, $3.50

This really wasn't a pudding as much as a cake, but it was very good. I would have gotten it again.

I wandered a little further and took some more pictures. These were by France.

I just love the whole feel to that setting and it is as close to France as I may ever get. But then I focused on the painting on the easel

Serveur Amusant was just coming out for their show so I stayed to watch. It truly amazes me that people can balance like that. I trip over my own two feet all of the time.

After the crowds died down I headed off to Morocco for some Baklava, $3.00.

I love Baklava but I wasn't happy with this. The pastry just came off the filling, was dry and the filling was very sweet. Maybe if it hadn't been so dry it would have balanced the flavors better.

Moving on we come to Japan and Matsuriza. I love watching them. I took a class in Japanese culture in school and my daughter's BFF is Japanese so I guess it helps me appreciate it a little more.

Made it to Italy and took some pictures but I loved this fountain

After Italy I went back to Future World.

There are some lovely photos of World Showcase in that batch! We're off to the Food & Wine Festival this year so it was interesting to read your reviews.

Day 1 - Part 3

I was off to Future World to use what I consider to be wasted FP's. First up was Journey Into Imagination with Figment. Every time I ride this I feel the presence of my little boy sitting next to me. He is now 34 y/o but I still see that excited little 5 y/o who loved Figment. I also like the challenge of a dark ride for pictures. This one came out really good

After the ride I took some pictures of the fountains outside the Imagination Pavilion

One of the down sides of traveling alone is that I don't really get in line to see any characters. I don't order the memory maker package. I do stop for my free picture from Chase. One of the perks I like with my Rewards Card. It was Mickey Mouse and Goofy again, I seem to get those two the most. But at least I have a picture of me. I also like the interaction. It's probably a good thing they use my camera too since I forgot to get my free print.

Next up was Spaceship Earth. This is a total waste of a Fast Pass since I need to go in the back entrance. I did take a picture of my future

I had some time before my last FP so I headed over to the Festival Center to look around. Along the way I took pictures. This was another favorite. I loved the way I managed to get the look I was after

Then I headed over for the chocolate sculptures. I didn't manage to get as many as I would have liked. I had some issues with my camera now and then and it decided to really give me a hard time here. The lens would not communicate with the body and refused to lock focus. I did get a couple of pictures that I was happy with.

Frozen

Marvel

I took my ride on Test Track. I do love this ride and designing the vehicle can be fun. I need to experiment with the design next time.

And since I added the final part without notes I will stop here. I fell asleep doing this update and thought I had erased it.

There are some lovely photos of World Showcase in that batch! We're off to the Food & Wine Festival this year so it was interesting to read your reviews.

Thank you. I love taking photos and am glad when I can share them. When will you be in Disney? My final trip of the 3 trips is in 12 days. I want to get this trip over with before then so you can see some more of my favorites and some that were ok. Of course taste is subjective but I have been to Food & Wine a few times over the last couple of years. It is one of my favorite times to visit.

Thank you. I love taking photos and am glad when I can share them. When will you be in Disney? My final trip of the 3 trips is in 12 days. I want to get this trip over with before then so you can see some more of my favorites and some that were ok. Of course taste is subjective but I have been to Food & Wine a few times over the last couple of years. It is one of my favorite times to visit.

We arrive on the 28th after four nights at Universal. It's our first September/October trip so I'm really looking forward to it. That flower shot is beautiful but I also love the second fountains one.

We arrive on the 28th after four nights at Universal. It's our first September/October trip so I'm really looking forward to it. That flower shot is beautiful but I also love the second fountains one.

I'll miss you by a few days. I leave for home on the 26th. The only thing missing from that fountain shot was the monorail, but thank you. One of the great things about being solo is I can spend as much time as I want to frame pictures.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter