4 mile slump

TheDisneyDoll

DIS Veteran
I've been training steadily for over a week now, and I CANNOT for the life of me get to 5 miles.
I am only on my treadmill and I admit i am very slow, but the first 4 1/2 came so easy but i just can't get to 5.
I'm hoping once it gets a bit warmed walking outside will help, but the temperature fluctuations kill me, and i'm a bit skittish about walking outside with it being below 60. I have a few lung problems and starting at a low temperature in the 40's- low 50's and then getting hot from running just really bothers me (it doesn't when I start at a higher temp.)

but gosh I guess I just needed to vent.

The past couple days I've been able to work my MPH up to 3.5 (i'm slow remember) but no matter how slow i increase the speed I can't hold it up that high for long.

I'm trying to respect the messages my body is giving me, and not push TOO hard, but i'm getting a bit frustrated.

The weekends are the only good time I have to walk. Weekdays I work until 5pm by the time I finish dinner it's nearly 6, wait 30 minutes or so before starting so that only 60-100 minutes left to dedicate to running before I've got to get back upstairs and prep for bed to do it all over again. I have a lengthy regime of pills and breathing treatments that i do, so i can't greatly afford to be late on those.

Has anyone else out there run into a slump? What helped you break past it?

I'm not really a "runner", but trying to start getting into a rhythm. Have you tried listening to music while you run? I know that if I distract myself with good music or television (if I'm running on a treadmill), I forget what I'm doing and I can go farther than I would without.

Great job, though!! Running can be a lot harder with lung issues, so it's great that you're getting out there and going for it! :)

I always have an issue getting past that 3 mile area. But once I get past it, my body is always like "Ok I guess we are doing this" :)

I always have an issue getting past that 3 mile area. But once I get past it, my body is always like "Ok I guess we are doing this" :)
I'm hoping that I can get to that point :) I tried running today and my body was like NOPE, so i'm taking a rest day even though i hate those I know they're effective and important.

Slow your pace down? That may help you get to 5.

And yeah, regular rest days are important. :)

Sounds like you are going to a gym? If so, while this may sound odd but why not give yourself a break and try a different type of cardio 1 or 2x a week. Estimate how long you would take to do the milage running and try to do that time on an elliptical or cross trainer. You are still building up endurance but different motions may make the workout a bit less tedious and less strain on your body.

Good luck!

Sounds like you are going to a gym? If so, while this may sound odd but why not give yourself a break and try a different type of cardio 1 or 2x a week. Estimate how long you would take to do the milage running and try to do that time on an elliptical or cross trainer. You are still building up endurance but different motions may make the workout a bit less tedious and less strain on your body.

Good luck!
No gym for me, I bought a treadmill last year I found it was cheaper than going to the gym. I do try to do other types of cardio though :) I'm not the best at keeping up with them, but I do try. Thank you so much for your help!

well done!!! I was just going to say to get past those walls I either have to keep the treadmill display covered. and/or play mind games with myself....hit the half-way mark. then no more checking the screen until the next commercial (before I started watching Netflix ;0) then half-way to go...focus on the next half-way point, etc. Sometimes I just have to say three more minutes, ok you got that now three more minutes. dreadmill time is a lot more mental for me

Try getting on a training schedule and using time of movement instead of distance for now. Running (or walking long distances) every day can really wear you down so even though you don't like them they are important. I do Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday runs when training but know some people who do Monday, Wedesday, Friday. It is really about what works best for your schedule. Just 30-45 minutes during the week then distance on the weekend. On "off" days you can focus on other activities that will help build stamina.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter