4-night Cruise to Nassau with Small Children... Worth Booking a Shore Excursion?

Mrs_dee

Earning My Ears
Family of 4, first time cruisers and first time here - should we stay in the ship at Nassau port (since shorter cruise so less crowded when ship is docked to avail of the pools, etc.) BUT, if we’re already there and haven’t been there (Nassau) before, are we missing out if we don’t book any shore excursion? We’ll have a preschooler and first grader with us. Thank you in advance!

We’ve been to Nassau before and feel like we aren’t missing out on anything if we don’t get off the ship. On our last cruise, our table mates did an excursion with small children that lasted all day and they were all completely exhausted at dinner. The ship won’t be empty, but it will be less crowded and you can just relax with your kids on board!

Not much to see in Nassau- same junk sold in the shops as all these places, plus same expensive boutique places, boiling hot in summer. I had a good wander about, went to the beach- not a very nice area either. I would go for a wander into the town for an hour, then head back. The shore excursions may be OK but given it is a shorter cruise we really liked just having a quick look around, then enjoying the quieter ship.

Been to Nassau a few times (not on a cruise) and the only thing worthwhile would be to check out the Atlantis waterpark. I have two boys (4 and 6) and they both had a great time and consider it one of their favorite vacations. Only problem is that I think the day passes cost close to $100 per person or something ridiculous like that.

We’ve been to Nassau before and feel like we aren’t missing out on anything if we don’t get off the ship. On our last cruise, our table mates did an excursion with small children that lasted all day and they were all completely exhausted at dinner. The ship won’t be empty, but it will be less crowded and you can just relax with your kids on board!

Yikes! I can already picture it... thanks!

Not much to see in Nassau- same junk sold in the shops as all these places, plus same expensive boutique places, boiling hot in summer. I had a good wander about, went to the beach- not a very nice area either. I would go for a wander into the town for an hour, then head back. The shore excursions may be OK but given it is a shorter cruise we really liked just having a quick look around, then enjoying the quieter ship.

Is it possible to just walk around the port with our children so we don’t need to book an excursion?

Is it possible to just walk around the port with our children so we don’t need to book an excursion?
Yes you can walk along the port area where the shops are located, but the shop owners are constantly badgering you to come and look in their shop "Hey pretty lady, look.....". Just not a pleasant relaxing experience. You can only say No Thank You so many times then it's "let's get back on the ship".

To be fair, we were not particularly badgered, a little bit mainly by women not men. It’s worth looking around for an hour as I say but the place does not have much going for it if I’m being honest.

Been to Nassau a few times (not on a cruise) and the only thing worthwhile would be to check out the Atlantis waterpark. I have two boys (4 and 6) and they both had a great time and consider it one of their favorite vacations. Only problem is that I think the day passes cost close to $100 per person or something ridiculous like that.
Think it’s more like 150-200. It was ludicrous.

To be fair, we were not particularly badgered, a little bit mainly by women not men. It’s worth looking around for an hour as I say but the place does not have much going for it if I’m being honest.

I see. But besides the badgering, is it pretty much “safe” to just walk around? I’m thinking since DCL is not the only line that stops at Nassau, there would be a lot of tourists walking around as well unless they all stayed on their ship or booked an excursion in Atlantis, etc... can you just walk around the port without getting mugged?

We did the Discover Atlantis excursion with our 6 year old. If your kids are into aquariums and sea life they would probably like it. It is much less expensive than the Atlantis water park excursion, because it is just a guided tour of the grounds and aquarium. We all enjoyed it!

Oh nice, that could be another option... how long is the tour and is it usually still available for newbies at 75 days out? 😅

We did the Discover Atlantis excursion with our 6 year old. If your kids are into aquariums and sea life they would probably like it. It is much less expensive than the Atlantis water park excursion, because it is just a guided tour of the grounds and aquarium. We all enjoyed it!

I haven't been to Nassau, but we stayed on the ship in Grand Caymand because the excursion we had booked was cancelled the night before. It was the first time we stayed on the ship at a port. It was a really nice day. We went to a movie, played a lot of games, rode the Aquaduck, and had a really nice day. No rushing around trying to get stuff done. As far a a the tables they have different size ones. We are a family of 3 and always get our own table. If you would prefer your own table, just call Disney and make the request for one. They will tell you that they can't guarantee that you'll get your own, but we've always gotten one. You could be put with just 1 other family of four or with a family of 5 or 6. They usually put families with similar aged kids together.

exit the port area and find the string of carriages (horse carts)

NEGOTIATE a price ......

ask to be dropped off at the Pirate Museum

after visiting this walk back to the ship (takes you thru main tourist area)

costs less than any excursion .....

my kids liked it (several times)

I haven't been to Nassau, but we stayed on the ship in Grand Caymand because the excursion we had booked was cancelled the night before. It was the first time we stayed on the ship at a port. It was a really nice day. We went to a movie, played a lot of games, rode the Aquaduck, and had a really nice day. No rushing around trying to get stuff done. As far a a the tables they have different size ones. We are a family of 3 and always get our own table. If you would prefer your own table, just call Disney and make the request for one. They will tell you that they can't guarantee that you'll get your own, but we've always gotten one. You could be put with just 1 other family of four or with a family of 5 or 6. They usually put families with similar aged kids together.

Really.. I did not know you can request for your own private/semi-private table... thank you so much! Also, how old is your kid? Just not sure how they’ll do just “cooped up” inside the ship for 4 straight days that’s why we’re thinking of just walking around the port... but unsure if it’s “safe” enough to just walk around especially with our young children unless we book a shore excursion 🤔

exit the port area and find the string of carriages (horse carts)

NEGOTIATE a price ......

ask to be dropped off at the Pirate Museum

after visiting this walk back to the ship (takes you thru main tourist area)

costs less than any excursion .....

my kids liked it (several times)

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I heard not a lot of sidewalks available outside the port area though - did you find this to be true from the Pirate Museum?

Just returned from a 4 night on the Dream with two-3 year olds. We got off in Nassau, walked around for 15 minutes and wished we hadn’t. We have also been before and did Atlantis but personally, I wouldn’t bother with a pre schooler. It was hot, they got tired. We headed right back to the ship, swam, had ice cream and enjoyed our day.

Speaking of, how many people in a table - 10 usually? So if we’re a family of 4, about 2 more families or so will be in our table?
My family of 4 has either been placed at our own table or been at a table with another family of 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!