4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

Just saw something posted on Twitter by AP Travel that Disney is going to do a trial program for pets at resorts. Yacht Club, Riverside, AOA, and Campgrounds are the resorts with $75 daily fee for YC and $50 for the others. Expensive but still pretty cool if true.

Awwww man. Then those are 4 resorts my DH will now never want to stay at. He hates "dog smell". I would have to request a deep-clean of any room if we stayed there... :(
I really don't think it will be that much of an issue. Universal and Lowes has always allowed dogs and I have never heard of an issue there. I can't see every resort allow pets either.

I'll just stay at resorts that don't allow them. My youngest is terrified of dogs, and I worry about people actually picking up after their pets outside since most people in my neighborhood don't...
That's how I feel. There is a full-blown melt down on the Disney Parks Blog post on Facebook about this (overwhelmingly negative). There are 25 resorts on property. No need for a meltdown -just pick one of the other 21 resorts. Geez people.

I think that was mostly a best-case scenario. Owners couldn’t leave their resort due to the hurricane lockdown.

In normal touring, people leave their rooms for 12+ hours/day to be in parks... and that’s not good for pets.

I think this would be the tough part but I'm guessing people are used to traveling with pets and wouldn't leave them there for 12 hours. You'd have to be a pretty bad dog owner to that.

And my guess is there will be a block of rooms at these resorts that will be the "pet rooms". Don't think they will just be randomly placing people throughout the resorts. This isn't some radical new thing for hotels to allow pets.

I get that for future booking, but what if someone already booked a package at an impacted resort?

and Disney did do again one thing I am not a fan of which is changing policy with next to no notice, as this starts in 2 days. What if you are severely allergic and had one of these resorts booked and now someone shows up with dogs?!?!? I hope Disney is contacting people that have the hotels booked and alerting them to this and working with them to change resorts if they wish

I definitely read this as "drugs" instead of "dogs" the first time.

I don't have a problem with this personally, but I would never want to bring my dog to Disney. I don't think allowing for this will make a noticeable impact one anyone. It would actually probably be even better if they allowed it at ALL resorts. Maybe I am underestimating how crazy dog people can be, but I just don't see many people paying for a putting up with this. It's not like you're going to see dozens of dogs walking around the hotel.

YC is on my frequent rotation. I enjoy it more than BC. I guess this another reason to stay at the Swolphin. I like dogs, but I don't want to be in a room next to them, so I'll pass.

At this point, I see few reasons not to stay at the Swolphin exclusively, besides when I just need a CR stay due to nostalgia.

and Disney did do again one thing I am not a fan of which is changing policy with next to no notice, as this starts in 2 days. What if you are severely allergic and had one of these resorts booked and now someone shows up with dogs?!?!? I hope Disney is contacting people that have the hotels booked and alerting them to this and working with them to change resorts if they wish

I have mild allergies to non-familiar animals, but not a big deal. However, I don't sleep well...ever. Dogs as neighbors aren't usually good for light/crappy sleepers. The late notice, when people (not me, admittedly) plan so far in advance, is just plain unacceptable.

I can't see this turning into a permanent feature, except for at Fort Wilderness. Maybe some DVC properties. But Yacht Club? AofA? Not going to do well there.

I'd guess like most things, some people will ruin it for others by bringing poorly behaved dogs or leaving their dog alone for way too long in the hotel room.

Disney as a whole isn't exactly pet friendly -- I just can't see how this is better than leaving your dog with a petsitter at home. It's not like the dogs can actually go to most of the places people visit at Disney. When we have to stay in pet-friendly hotels, it's because we're on a long road trip. The only trips we enjoy along with our dog are always camping, climbing, hiking trips. Places and activities where our dog is with us, not waiting for us.

I'm probably biased because we have a large, active dog. Maybe it's not a big deal with the small dogs. Still, I'd think someone would need to be fairly committed to spending more time in their room (or around the resort) with their dog than out and about.

I was able to get some more info on the dog situation.

• This is only for canines, and not other pets
  • The add on includes Pluto's Welcome Amenity (room/dog friendly items)
  • Dogs will not be allowed in restaurants, pool areas, and recreation spots
  • Dogs must be properly vaccinated
  • This is a one year test for the moment through October 15, 2018
  • Guests can have up to two dogs in a room
  • No weight or breed restrictions
  • Guests can make CMs aware of noises dogs and then owners will be notified
  • Guests can use their own personal crate/carriers in the rooms
  • Most guests with dogs will be in a specific area of the resort
  • Guests can travel with dogs on magical express but dog must be in a pet carrier
  • There will be designated pet spaces
  • Pet medicine can be stored by Disney until room is ready
  • No travel insurance for dogs
  • If a guest does not like dogs they can be accommodated to be away from the dogs
  • They will work with guests with allergies
  • Disney is sending guests letters notifying them of the dog addition to those who are already booked

I was able to get some more info on the dog situation.

• This is only for canines, and not other pets
  • The add on includes Pluto's Welcome Amenity (room/dog friendly items)
  • Dogs will not be allowed in restaurants, pool areas, and recreation spots
  • Dogs must be properly vaccinated
  • This is a one year test for the moment through October 15, 2018
  • Guests can have up to two dogs in a room
  • No weight or breed restrictions
  • Guests can make CMs aware of noises dogs and then owners will be notified
  • Guests can use their own personal crate/carriers in the rooms
  • Most guests with dogs will be in a specific area of the resort
  • Guests can travel with dogs on magical express but dog must be in a pet carrier
  • There will be designated pet spaces
  • Pet medicine can be stored by Disney until room is ready
  • No travel insurance for dogs
  • If a guest does not like dogs they can be accommodated to be away from the dogs
  • They will work with guests with allergies
  • Disney is sending guests letters notifying them of the dog addition to those who are already booked

Thanks for the leg work. Very glad to see the last 3 points and hope that includes working with them to move them to another resort if they so wish

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!