4 WDW Resorts to allow dogs

So irritating to see picture on prior link that shows dog on bed with Mickey ears on. First off, I hate that the dog is on the bed. 2nd- it's a dog!!!! Does anyone really think it likes to have Mickey ears on? It's a dog!! Quit treating them like people.

Um, the ears on the dog isn't for the dog, it's for the people.

We put hats on our cats. They hate it. We take their picture and laugh and laugh....it's why the internet was invented, remember?

In fairness, most Disney guests are not on here so we would never have a collection worth noting ... also many here don't even know that thread is there, I didn't until another poster said something. There have been some "negative" comments in other threads that didn't make it into that thread.

The dogs in resorts thread is pinned on the resort board so I usually see that one first. I haven't been keeping up on the other resort threads and don't have them set on "watch" either so I don't come across any posts about dogs unless I go looking for them. Except this thread since I've previously posted here so I guess it automatically "watches" it and sends alerts.

The previous poster noted "latest reports"; I only saw one report by one person there. I hope to see more people post their experiences. Even if the reports here represent a small portion of actual overall visitor experiences (as all thing are on here), it's still good to see.

That's ridiculous. Do you buy coffee? Drive a car? Go out to dinner? Have Netflix? Well stop that and send that money to Africa.
It's not really ridiculous. We can have our own opinions. Mine are that dogs are not worth time or money.

It's not really ridiculous. We can have our own opinions. Mine are that dogs are not worth time or money.

Plenty of people can and do say the same thing about children. Children are a much bigger impact on the wallet and environment and there is no population shortage. We could just adopt the ones that Madonna or Angelina passed up, but people always want to have their own.

They both have their positive sides, dogs don't go through teenager years and children rarely eat you if you die alone in the house with them.

Last edited:
I thought of this thread as we made our way through the Atlanta Airport today. There were dogs everywhere. Cute as they could be. And none disrupting anything either.

We live in a country of dog lovers and people who travel with their dogs. Makes perfect sense why Disney made this decision. I imagine they were missing out on a lot of business not allowing dogs.

For many of the people who aren't thrilled about this it isn't because they don't like dogs. We have 2 (and I have always had at least 2 since I was a kid) who we adore and treat our dogs like family members. When we travel we make sure we have arrangements in place so that we know they are well taken care of by people who also love dogs and know how much they mean to us.... . It doesn't mean though that the thought of having a pet dog in a hotel room for 7 hours alone is a good thing... The fact there's no requirement to keep dogs off soft goods and furniture (i.e we don't allow our dogs on our furniture at home) is not inspiring. The fact that barking in the room may or may not be addressed in a timely fashion means that the onus is placed on people who don't have dogs to deal with the behavior of guests who do.... A lot of posters have tried to denigrate anyone who has concerns about this... not helpful at all since most of those posters booked when this was not an issue. True trained service dogs worry people a lot less as they are "trained" and "certified" in a way that most owners of dogs can't imagine.

If WDW policy was that a/ pet animals can't be loose in the room without a person there with them to manage them and b/ that no dogs are allowed on beds, sofas, etc... and c/ that there is zero tolerance for on-going barking (rather than some underwhelming policy that people have 30 minutes to get back --- I guess WDW hasn't looked at their own recommendations as to how long it takes to get to an ADR using on-site transportation options) then things may have been different. The fact that WDW basically changed the rules after many thousands of people had booked their vacations was very wrong. I spoke to someone this week who was unaware of the change and they were really upset as one of their kids has fear issues around dogs. I guess only kids that don't have that fear are welcome at WDW resorts.

Had WDW said they will make 1 building of 1 resort dog friendly to "test" --- people would not have been much less upset --- they'd have moved as required. They would have known to avoid that building/resort. The way they handled the roll out was massively stupid --- people have booked at these resorts in advance (some up to 499 days for vacations which involve in some cases 10's of thousands of dollars.) That a $600+ per night guest at YC club level guest should just grin and bear a barking dog --- when they may only have been willing to pay that rate because they figured they'd spend time in their room/resort enjoying resort amenities is ludicrous.

True working/service dogs rarely use furniture as part of their task (i.e. they don't jump/sleep/etc... on furniture) since their primary task is helping their human which involves ensuring their presence is for the most part unnoticed. The fact that this is used to justify pets in rooms is crazy.

Last edited:

I guess only kids that don't have that fear are welcome at WDW resorts.

Why ruin a rational argument with such an irrational statement?

There are so many hotels in this country that already allow dogs/pets. I bet most people have stayed in some and didn't even realize the hotel was pet friendly.
Like I said, I was against it before, but most likely a knee-jerk reaction. In the end I bet most people won't even notice....

Do we know how many complaints of non-stop barking dogs have there been yet?

Why ruin a rational argument with such an irrational statement?

There are so many hotels in this country that already allow dogs/pets. I bet most people have stayed in some and didn't even realize the hotel was pet friendly.
Like I said, I was against it before, but most likely a knee-jerk reaction. In the end I bet most people won't even notice....

Do we know how many complaints of non-stop barking dogs have there been yet?

Do YOU know exactly how many complaints of non-stop barking dogs have there been at hotels that have this policy? I'm guessing no as well..... but the evidence isn't going to be something that moves someone who has a point of view....

Yeah.... get that you like this change .... apparently you seem to think that anyone who has a concern that you don't is "wrong" and "knee jerk" --- good on you... keep trying to belittle those that don't agree or can't produce an iron-clad example of their WDW vacation being ruined. We don't stay in pet friendly resorts (non-disney) because we have had this experience.) You sort of reinforce exactly the point of my original post.... there are people who don't give a crap that other people have concerns.... as long as it doesn't mess with their point of view. This is a change from previous existing policy when people booked ... there might be those who care (and in your case those who don't .) Belittling others perspectives is not necessarily helpful.

Do YOU know exactly how many complaints of non-stop barking dogs have there been at hotels that have this policy? I'm guessing no as well..... but the evidence isn't going to be something that moves someone who has a point of view....

Yeah.... get that you like this change .... apparently you seem to think that anyone who has a concern that you don't is "wrong" and "knee jerk" --- good on you... keep trying to belittle those that don't agree or can't produce an iron-clad example of their WDW vacation being ruined. We don't stay in pet friendly resorts (non-disney) because we have had this experience.) You sort of reinforce exactly the point of my original post.... there are people who don't give a crap that other people have concerns.... as long as it doesn't mess with their point of view. This is a change from previous existing policy when people booked ... there might be those who care (and in your case those who don't .) Belittling others perspectives is not necessarily helpful.

I certainly don't have a strong enough opinion about the topic to argue about it.

Have a good night!
:)

I certainly don't have a strong enough opinion about the topic to argue about it.

Have a good night!
:)
Here's the thing... I don't expect you to argue with me --- or agree with me...... But I do hope you understand that maybe people have valid concerns.

First off this is not personal at all .... I don't understand why understanding that a totally uncontained dog policy (i.e. no breed distinction, no size restriction (weight or height), no requirement that the dog has basic training (responding to come, sit, off, etc.....), no requirement that dogs has not had bite or aggression incidents before, no requirement to contain the dog for 7 hours per day, etc..... is not the way to go at all. Had WDW said small dog, with no history of aggression, proof of insurance, training, etc... with some acceptance of liability by WDW (i.e. right now it's all assumed by the owner who may or may not have insurance to cover the harm their dog causes -- which does what for the victim of a dog bite?), and that dogs should be contained while in the rooms for 7 + hours per days.... then maybe yeah there may be some sense that this had been thought through..... When I drop off my dog at the kennel I have had to prove all of the above.

Right now if I had an aggressive breed of dog, who has a history of issues, regardless of size, with zero insurance to cover damages it may cause --- WDW has no issue if I bring that dog with me. This is a problem.

Last edited:
For many of the people who aren't thrilled about this it isn't because they don't like dogs. We have 2 (and I have always had at least 2 since I was a kid) who we adore and treat our dogs like family members. When we travel we make sure we have arrangements in place so that we know they are well taken care of by people who also love dogs and know how much they mean to us.... . It doesn't mean though that the thought of having a pet dog in a hotel room for 7 hours alone is a good thing... The fact there's no requirement to keep dogs off soft goods and furniture (i.e we don't allow our dogs on our furniture at home) is not inspiring. The fact that barking in the room may or may not be addressed in a timely fashion means that the onus is placed on people who don't have dogs to deal with the behavior of guests who do.... A lot of posters have tried to denigrate anyone who has concerns about this... not helpful at all since most of those posters booked when this was not an issue. True trained service dogs worry people a lot less as they are "trained" and "certified" in a way that most owners of dogs can't imagine.

If WDW policy was that a/ pet animals can't be loose in the room without a person there with them to manage them and b/ that no dogs are allowed on beds, sofas, etc... and c/ that there is zero tolerance for on-going barking (rather than some underwhelming policy that people have 30 minutes to get back --- I guess WDW hasn't looked at their own recommendations as to how long it takes to get to an ADR using on-site transportation options) then things may have been different. The fact that WDW basically changed the rules after many thousands of people had booked their vacations was very wrong. I spoke to someone this week who was unaware of the change and they were really upset as one of their kids has fear issues around dogs. I guess only kids that don't have that fear are welcome at WDW resorts.

Had WDW said they will make 1 building of 1 resort dog friendly to "test" --- people would not have been much less upset --- they'd have moved as required. They would have known to avoid that building/resort. The way they handled the roll out was massively stupid --- people have booked at these resorts in advance (some up to 499 days for vacations which involve in some cases 10's of thousands of dollars.) That a $600+ per night guest at YC club level guest should just grin and bear a barking dog --- when they may only have been willing to pay that rate because they figured they'd spend time in their room/resort enjoying resort amenities is ludicrous.

True working/service dogs rarely use furniture as part of their task (i.e. they don't jump/sleep/etc... on furniture) since their primary task is helping their human which involves ensuring their presence is for the most part unnoticed. The fact that this is used to justify pets in rooms is crazy.
I agree about changing the rules after ppl were booked. But, there haven’t been any reports of the horror stories ppl feared.

Here's the thing... I don't expect you to argue with me --- or agree with me...... But I do hope you understand that maybe people have valid concerns.

First off this is not personal at all .... I don't understand why understanding that a totally uncontained dog policy (i.e. no breed distinction, no size restriction (weight or height), no requirement that the dog has basic training (responding to come, sit, off, etc.....), no requirement that dogs has not had bite or aggression incidents before, no requirement to contain the dog for 7 hours per day, etc..... is not the way to go at all. Had WDW said small dog, with no history of aggression, proof of insurance, training, etc... with some acceptance of liability by WDW (i.e. right now it's all assumed by the owner who may or may not have insurance to cover the harm their dog causes -- which does what for the victim of a dog bite?), and that dogs should be contained while in the rooms for 7 + hours per days.... then maybe yeah there may be some sense that this had been thought through.....

Right now if I had an aggressive breed of dog, who has a history of issues, regardless of size, with zero insurance to cover damages it may cause --- WDW has no issue if I bring that dog with me. This is a problem.
A potential problem. That’s the thing it’s all hypothetical. The amount of time the dog can be left in the room is irrelevant. Some dogs could cause a problem 10 min after owner leaves & some can go all day without an issue. I agree about dog size & breed. But, everything is mostly WDW’s problem. If the dog destroys the room, that doesn’t concern me.

You sort of reinforce exactly the point of my original post.... there are people who don't give a crap that other people have concerns.... as long as it doesn't mess with their point of view.

Concerns are always valid (particularity allergies), but often subjective, and should be weighted against measurable, objective risk. This is a trial program (trial: n. a test of the performance, qualities, or suitability of someone or something), it should be allowed to fail or succeed on its own merits (or that of the owners and/or animals) without the the militant campaign being waged against it in the court of opinion to skew the results. Concern alone should never impede trying something new.

For the record, I couldn't ever imagine keeping a dog in a tiny hotel room (though millions of dogs live in small apartments in cities and college towns around the world), but my opinion (or others' fear) shouldn't dictate how different people vacation. Should we remove all resort pools because a child is afraid of swimming or a parent is afraid their child may drown? Of course not. Dogs and pets are an inescapable (and fast growing) part of our society (more inescapable than pools!), a diverse society that Disney does a pretty good job of keeping up with. Change comes often to Disney Parks.

Last edited:
Concerns are always valid (particularity allergies), but all also subjective, but should be weighted against measurable, objective risk. This is a trial program (trial: n. a test of the performance, qualities, or suitability of someone or something), it should be allowed to fail or succeed on its own merits (or that of the owners and/or animals) without the the militant campaign being waged against it in the court of opinion to skew the results. Concern alone should never impede trying something new.

For the record, I couldn't ever imagine keeping a dog in a tiny hotel room (though millions of dogs live in small apartments in cities and college towns around the world), but that opinion (or others fear) shouldn't dictate how different people vacation.

Should we remove all resort pools because a child is afraid of swimming or a parent is afraid their child may drown? Most would probably find that absurd, because of measured risk. Dogs and pets are an inescapable (and fast growing) part of our society, a diverse society that Disney does a pretty good job of keeping up with. Change comes often to Disney Parks.
Last I checked resorts having pools are pretty much a common feature so basically a nonsensical argument. Actually at BC/YC the pool was pretty much a feature of why you book there at that resort. which prior to Dogs being allowed was pretty much was a reason to book there. Again. None of the salient points are being addressed.... just justification for changes which you agree with apparently, Very weak example —- ummmm. We know resorts have pools. At 499 days we knew SAB existed. We didn’t know that Cujo was invited.

Again the fact that you consider dogs being everywhere are “inescapable” is reason that everyone should just accept them being at a WDW resort is pretty emblematic that you endorse it. That you can’t accept or don’t care at all about anyone who disagrees it’s just too bad, so sad. Sort of a sign of the times in a way. Probably anoither reason why WDW isn’t a great place to visit anymore.

Again you like this so it’s “inescapable” ... hopefully nothing you don’t endorse becomes “inescapable“.

I agree about changing the rules after ppl were booked. But, there haven’t been any reports of the horror stories ppl feared.

It is annoying to people who have already booked, I get that. But, like with anything Disney does, someone is always going to be affected. If this is something they wanted to institute before 499 days from now (I think that's when booking starts), someone was going to be angry.
Perhaps they look at it like tearing off a band-aid?

In the end, I'm sure if there are problems, dog attacks, ruined hotel rooms, out of control dogs, etc., Disney will deal with it or even discontinue it.
Just because I'm willing to give something a chance doesn't mean I outright support it. But I won't outright decry it either.

I'm willing to wait and see. And I don't think that makes me indicative of what's wrong with society. ;)

And in 2020 have every plan of booking Yacht Club regardless! (walking to DHS? Yes please...)

Um, the ears on the dog isn't for the dog, it's for the people.

We put hats on our cats. They hate it. We take their picture and laugh and laugh....it's why the internet was invented, remember?

I have nothing of value to add to this thread. My piece was given in the early stages of this thread. But this post is just SO good.

We didn’t know that Cujo was invited.

Cujo wasn't invited, family pets are. Cujo is a fictional dog with rabies in a lousy novel that was mostly filler about kids whizzing red food dye. It is also an absurd, presumptive, far-fetched conclusion that isn't deserving of consideration. Presumption is neither evidence nor experience.
Again you like this so it’s “inescapable” ... hopefully nothing you don’t endorse becomes “inescapable“.

???

Last edited:
I love my dog - but I do not plan to pay $50+ a day for him to stay in a room with me. One time we had to take him to Orlando with us as we were leaving from New Orleans, but returning to Arkansas. The Disney kennels were full so we found a great boarding alternative off property. I still would not have kept him in a room with us even if it had been available.

But that being said I'm not sure why people are having such a hissy fit over dogs being allowed in FOUR hotels. One of my homes is in a 7 story condo based on a atrium (outdoor walkway). There are approximately 100 units in the building. Probably 80% of the residents have dogs. I NEVER hear barking. Yes I sometimes share an elevator with a dog, but the owners are extremely respectful about keeping their dogs under their control. I've seen someone with a puppy who is not yet trained pass up an elevator and say "go on without us".

If you or your loved ones truly have a total aversion (or allergy) to dogs being anywhere near you - just DO NOT STAY in the dog hotels. No need to go into hysteria about the fact that someone may have a dog at a property that you do not have to stay at.

I love my dog - but I do not plan to pay $50+ a day for him to stay in a room with me. One time we had to take him to Orlando with us as we were leaving from New Orleans, but returning to Arkansas. The Disney kennels were full so we found a great boarding alternative off property. I still would not have kept him in a room with us even if it had been available.

But that being said I'm not sure why people are having such a hissy fit over dogs being allowed in FOUR hotels. One of my homes is in a 7 story condo based on a atrium (outdoor walkway). There are approximately 100 units in the building. Probably 80% of the residents have dogs. I NEVER hear barking. Yes I sometimes share an elevator with a dog, but the owners are extremely respectful about keeping their dogs under their control. I've seen someone with a puppy who is not yet trained pass up an elevator and say "go on without us".

If you or your loved ones truly have a total aversion (or allergy) to dogs being anywhere near you - just DO NOT STAY in the dog hotels. No need to go into hysteria about the fact that someone may have a dog at a property that you do not have to stay at.
This is a fantastic suggestion - which was made impossible for some by the way Disney rolled this out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!