40 Attractions to Celebrate My 40th Birthday! ***6 days to go PTR update and how many emails?***

August Pre-Trip Update...

OK, I have nothing much important to add but I want to get your opinions on a possible theme for the upcoming trip. I am thinking of trying "9 new things for Alex's 9th birthday". We have done a lot of disney so there's not that much but there are some significant new things like Pandora. I wouldn't count our time at Universal since that will be all new but do you think that would be good? Any ideas on what we could include? We are definitely doing the luau which we have not done before and Rivers of Light and dinner at Ohana (can you believe we haven't done that before?).

Also, I ordered a bunch of t shirts from Teepublic the other day when they had some sort of flash sale. Once they arrive, I'll post
pictures. I even ordered a set of one kind of shirt for us to match one day. We will see how people feel about that. It's the same pattern but different colors. I think I can talk them into it.

Also, for the halloween party, Alex decided he wanted to be stitch, I am supposed to be Lilo which are basically just t shirt costumes because it's going to be so hot. grandma Missie was opposed to wearing a costume so Alex suggested that she wear a t shirt that said "Ohana means family" and we all thought that was perfect. I ordered that on TeePublic to. Once all the stuff arrives, I'll post it here so you can see. Alex is getting a stitch t shirt (that looks like stitch's body) and a stitch hoodie where the hood looks like stitch's head and I am getting a lilo red dress tunic and I have leggings with palm leaves on them to wear underneath. I know it's kind of mixing up her two outfits but I'm taking creative license. Both of those things are from easy and won't arrive until just before we leave.

That's all I've got for today. Need to get back to work.

The hills aren't tat big so the front goes pretty slowly over the top and slows at the valleys so you never feel like you are gathering much speed.

OK in that case...I WANT the front lol.

dinner at Ohana (can you believe we haven't done that before?).

I'm so jealous of this!! I stalked ADR's for this forever and no luck so threw in the towel. But at least we got a breakfast there. You will love it.

I am thinking of trying "9 new things for Alex's 9th birthday".
I love it! But then again, I am stealing your idea of 40 Attractions for turning 40! I do like that it will make you try new things...

Also, I ordered a bunch of t shirts from Teepublic the other day when they had some sort of flash sale. Once they arrive, I'll post pictures. I even ordered a set of one kind of shirt for us to match one day. We will see how people feel about that. It's the same pattern but different colors. I think I can talk them into it.
Ohh! Can't wait to see what you ordered. There are soon many fun shirts on Teepublic. I just discovered it an it's great!

Any ideas on what we could include?
Man, that is HARD?!? Have you ever rented a boat at one of the deluxe resorts? Or maybe Miniature Golf? Or maybe bowling at Lucky Stikes?

We are definitely doing the luau which we have not done before and Rivers of Light and dinner at Ohana (can you believe we haven't done that before?).
Ohana will be a first for us as well!

Do you really only have 2 weeks before you go!?! So, exciting!!!

Are you guys going this summer? Or early fall?

Right now, I am tentatively planning a summer 2018 trip. It will be with extended family and so no firm dates yet. We might even have to push the trip back one year to summer 2019 for various reasons. One being that my own kids might be busy with summer school/college internship next summer. But my son will graduate from college in 2019 so I think a trip to WDW will be a great way to celebrate! For now, I am on the DIS and read TR's and just stay up to date on all the changes so when it is time for me to make my ADRs and Fastpasses, I will be ready.

"9 new things for Alex's 9th birthday".

This is a great theme for your upcoming trip. What about Tom Sawyer Island? I know I remember thinking it was a really cool place as a kid and I planned to take my own kids but we never seemed to make it over to it on each trip. So, they still have never seen it. It will be a new adventure for us on our next trip.

Alex decided he wanted to be stitch, I am supposed to be Lilo which are basically just t shirt costumes because it's going to be so hot. grandma Missie was opposed to wearing a costume so Alex suggested that she wear a t shirt that said "Ohana means family" and we all thought that was perfect.

This is perfect! The t-shirt for your mother will not mess up her hair! Tee hee.

summer 2019

Summer 2019 might be on time for Star Wars land but I suspect that WDW won't open until the very end of 2019. But 2018 would at least get you toy story land!

Tom Sawyer Island

We did that as a "new thing" on a trip a couple of years ago. It's fun but I like the barrel bridge and it's been down for a while. Alex can play in the fort for hours but that's an issue because I cannot spend hours playing in a fort when all of the magic kingdom is right outside! I've been trying to do new things each trip so finding 9 new ones is going to be an actual challenge!

t-shirt for your mother will not mess up her hair

Exactly.

Only 6 days to go.....
I am so excited that there are only 6 days until we leave. I've been covering the inpatients for the last two weeks and have been so busy! Now I feel totally behind and under pressure to catch up before we leave but also burnt out from so much work in the last two weeks! It's making for a tough Monday. That said, I have barely started packing, I am still waiting for my last minute online purchases to arrive, and we still have a birthday to celebrate! Alex had his friend party last weekend which was awesome! A ropes course and zip line (this kid is pretty lucky). I didn't want to share photos of the other kids without parental approval so I'm just giving you Alex's zip line video.

IMG_1776 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I am woefully behind on packing for this trip since one week from today I will be in Pandora and I have only stacks of clothes for Alex lying around and most of my things are still in the laundry bin. I did get some of our new t shirts from tee public (still waiting on the second set) and wanted to share them here with all of you! I love, love, love seeing other people's shirts before they go so I'm sharing ours....

First up: the Harry Potter shirts. One for me (the henna deathly hallows one) and one for alex (the mathly hallows one):

IMG_1702 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Next are two for Alex. One is obviously the red card that you sometimes get to help determine the line length and the other is a spell t shirt for harry potter.

IMG_1704 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Next up: two for grandma missile: the land produce company and a best day ever shirt. I really like how the land one turned out. The colors look great.

IMG_1703 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

My green tiki room shirt...

IMG_1707 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And the "matching" shirts for epcot. I don't love them but they are okay. The purple one is for me and I ordered it in the wrong size (my mistake) so I needed to order another one. That meant I might as well order a bunch more so Alex and I have some extras coming later this week. I will try to get them on this blog before we go.

IMG_1706 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I am still waiting for: five tee public shirts, alex's stitch shirt for halloween party, and my lilo shirt for halloween party (mom's is here but I'll show it when we have all three), hard to find nail polish that I had to buy on eBay to touch up chips while I am away, and a last order from amazon prime with a bunch of last minute little necessities like disney inspired nail decals. Because this is really important. I know.

Sadly, our magic your band covers never arrived. I ordered them in the beginning of july and I have emailed them multiple times with no response. I've given up at this point. It could be the mail in chicago (pretty sketchy IMHO) or the company (more likely since they are not responding to emails) but, either way, I'm not ordering from them again and I can't in good faith recommend them despite everyone on the boards loving them so much. Oh well.

Still left to do: last minute trip to target, pack toiletries, wash clothes for me, separate clothes for split stay and pack them accordingly, pack the carry ons and park bags, celebrate Alex's actual birthday on thursday morning, make cherry pie, buy school supplies, and host family birthday party next saturday. And like 1000 unread emails, a few notes to sign, and a bunch of meetings. No big deal. I got this.

I'll take wagers on the emails: Currently my phone says I have 1,527 unread emails. I will continue to get emails this week and I will be doing my best to bring that number down to zero before I leave work on friday afternoon. Anyone want to bet on what number I end up with on my way out the door to get Alex on friday?

My green tiki room shirt...

I was looking at that one! I like it in the green!

And the "matching" shirts for epcot. I don't love them but they are okay. The purple one is for me and I ordered it in the wrong size (my mistake) so I needed to order another one. That meant I might as well order a bunch more so Alex and I have some extras coming later this week. I will try to get them on this blog before we go.

I like the design, what don't you like the color choices? Also, glad to hear that I am not the only one who orders things in the wrong size online! I just go the replacement shirts for the girls Rapunzel shirts!

Sadly, our magic your band covers never arrived.
That is sad! They will show up while you are there. Boo.

celebrate Alex's actual birthday on thursday morning, make cherry pie
I assume the cherry pie is for Alex? YUM! I knew I liked him! ;)

No big deal. I got this.
I am sure you do! And it always makes vacation that much more relaxing, going from one extreme to the other.

A ropes course and zip line (this kid is pretty lucky). I didn't want to share photos of the other kids without parental approval so I'm just giving you Alex's zip line video.
Awesome!

I did get some of our new t shirts from tee public (still waiting on the second set) and wanted to share them here with all of you! I love, love, love seeing other people's shirts before they go so I'm sharing ours....

I love your shirts!! Especially the red card one, hilarious! I ordered a couple things online and will try to share them...I actually had to order them to be shipped to our hotel because so many websites will not ship to Canada. I do hope they arrive on time to wear during our trip!

I totally feel your pain about being too busy right before your trip. It's so hard because you feel overwhelmed and like you won't have time to get ready. I am sure it will all get done, but it's pretty hectic!!

I do hope we get to meet up at least for a quick Hello if nothing else!

I like it in the green

I know, right? I'm thrilled with it and it's super soft.

what don't you like

They just don't look that cool I guess. Maybe I'm just mad bc mine is too small for actual wear. Perhaps I'll feel better when the new size arrives b

cherry pie

I don't mean to brag but I do make a mean cherry pie. My kid doesn't like cake. Strange but true. Honestly, I'm not a big fan either. Whenever one of us gets a cupcake for a special magic thing at Disney, we always end up having a whispered conversation about how much we have to eat to be polite. Is that sad or what? We both learned to take our birthday buttons off in restaurants to avoid this. I think that's part of what made my club level desserts so special. Chris made sure they weren't just cupcakes.

red card one

It's awesome. I think he will get the red card every ride when he wears it. I can't wait to find out.

Thanks for posting your tee public shirts. I just ordered a couple for my upcoming trip .

Sadly, our magic your band covers never arrived. I ordered them in the beginning of july and I have emailed them multiple times with no response. I've given up at this point. It could be the mail in chicago (pretty sketchy IMHO) or the company (more likely since they are not responding to emails) but, either way, I'm not ordering from them again and I can't in good faith recommend them despite everyone on the boards loving them so much. Oh well.

That is a major bummer. And add the fact that not only have they not arrived but you have contacted them about the problem THREE times with no response! UGG!

Still left to do: last minute trip to target, pack toiletries, wash clothes for me, separate clothes for split stay and pack them accordingly, pack the carry ons and park bags, celebrate Alex's actual birthday on thursday morning, make cherry pie, buy school supplies, and host family birthday party next saturday. And like 1000 unread emails, a few notes to sign, and a bunch of meetings. No big deal. I got this.

I'll take wagers on the emails: Currently my phone says I have 1,527 unread emails. I will continue to get emails this week and I will be doing my best to bring that number down to zero before I leave work on friday afternoon. Anyone want to bet on what number I end up with on my way out the door to get Alex on friday?

It sounds like it has been a very hectic four days since you posted this message! CRAZY!! But I am sure it is coming together! I am guessing the number of your emails left unopened by this afternoon will be zero - just knowing you from your posts or perhaps under twenty due to many being possible junk emails that you just leave unopened.

I don't mean to brag but I do make a mean cherry pie. My kid doesn't like cake. Strange but true. Honestly, I'm not a big fan either. Whenever one of us gets a cupcake for a special magic thing at Disney, we always end up having a whispered conversation about how much we have to eat to be polite. Is that sad or what? We both learned to take our birthday buttons off in restaurants to avoid this. I think that's part of what made my club level desserts so special. Chris made sure they weren't just cupcakes.

I so love cherry pie!! Do you make your own crust? My hubby and I prefer pie over cake anyday, any reason. Like you, I usually decline a slice of cake or just it to be polite. Chris and the staff did an amazing job of all your special desserts. They were beautiful to look at and I am sure heaven to eat!

Wish Alex, :bday:! And have a fantastic journey to the most magical place on Earth! :mickeyjum:goofy::stitch: I had to add the Stick character for Alex. I am looking forward to reading your TR when you return.

One Day More.....

Well, there's only one day left now. I woke up extra early today because I was so excited. This will be my last update for this trip report/PTR and the next one will be a new trip report for tomorrow's trip.

Where did we leave off? With me still having a bunch of work to do before the trip. Most of it has been done but I left work with 1,821 unread emails. The good news is that most of them are junk mail that just need to be deleted. I combed through and looked at all the urgent ones and I think that's pretty good considering they continued to accumulate over the course of the week.

Now, onto to the important stuff: disney prep.

I made a couple of changes to the plan. I cancelled lunch at yak & Yeti on Monday because I thought we would prefer tiffin's or sa'tuli canteen. And I changed the Le Cellier lunch on our last day to Spice Road Table because I think will be too hot for a big lunch. We also added a little meet up. It turns out that Alex's step sister (dad's new wife's daughter from a previous relationship) will also be at disney tomorrow so we are meeting up with her and her dad and grandparents at MK in the afternoon.

The clothes got separated and packed into their cubes. One suitcase gets opened at the Poly and the other doesn't need to be touched until we get to the back club. That suitcase also has the universal stuff and the laundry stuff. I plan to re-pack things into one "clean" suitcase for universal after we do laundry at beach club.

IMG_1805 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

The replacement horizons shirt arrived along with our bonus shirts. For me...

IMG_1800 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And for Alex..

IMG_1799 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

And, remarkably, after my rant in the last post the magic band covers arrived too! Just in time.

Grandma Missie gets an international themed band.

IMG_1804 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Alex gets glow in the dark tron and R2D2

IMG_1803 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

I get small world and tie dye.

IMG_1802 by Emily Landon, on Flickr

Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the halloween party outfits so you'll just have to wait for the trip report! They re pretty cute though. I think you'll like them.

So we are having our family birthday celebration right now (with Alex's birthday pie). Alex and the neighbor kids are putting together his big birthday present: k'ned space mountain. It's going to be huge. Tonight, we will probably watch the last Harry Potter movie since he finished the book earlier this week. It seems like everything is done (except cleaning up after this party) so there's not much left to say. Please PM me if you are going to be there during our trip. We would love to meet up with you if things work out. And if they don't, it will be nice to share the experience!

Thanks for reading and See ya real soon!

Emily

Here it is!!

Looks amazing! I hope he enjoyed it! And Happy Birthday to Alex!

36458360476_79f754bcc8_z.jpg
Love these packing cubes. I might need to get some more. I love that you can label them...

. Please PM me if you are going to be there during our trip.
I wish we were there when you guys will be there. Have a GREAT Trip! Can't wait to here all about it!

Loved your trip report and can't wait to hear about your next one! We always travel in August-- it's actually my favorite time to go! And, I just noticed you're in Chicago, me too! Crazy! Have an amazing trip!

Loved your trip report and can't wait to hear about your next one! We always travel in August-- it's actually my favorite time to go! And, I just noticed you're in Chicago, me too! Crazy! Have an amazing trip!

Yay for Chicago! And for Disney in August. Every year I get nervous about the heat and then we are okay in the end.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter