44 total cruises on the Magic, Wonder, Dream and Fantasy - First on the wish

delo4

Mouseketeer<br><font color=blue>I am not a fancy f
We sailed for the first time on the Disney Wish on a recent 4 day. Here are some thoughts -

The ship is absolutely stunning. The decor is absolutely beautiful. The Grand Hall is something to see. We sailed on a Merry Time cruise and the decor is interesting. We didn‘t love the Christmas tree. It reminded me of that cheap gold garland you might buy at the dollar store. The decorations on the tree looked like they were put on in a real hurry. We stood looking at it one day wondering why the ornaments were placed like they were. I wasn’t fond of the gold color of the tree, it kinda reminded me of an old christmas tree that has been laying in the yard for a few weeks and turns that weird color. The rest of the deco was better. I loved the nautical trees in the stores and the rest of the trees scattered around the ship were very nice.

The stateroom was beautiful. We were in a verandah stateroom deck 6 just forward of the elevators. It was a nice location, but very noisy every morning between 5 and 6. It sounded like a thumping noise and you could feel it under your bed. Our party occupied 3 rooms and it woke all of us up. We realized that they power washed the deck on deck 5 each morning and we think it was the water hoses that may be located under the floors in or room. It went off and on each time they activated the power washer. I would not choose these rooms again for that reason, There was no going back to sleep. It lasted about 30 minutes each morning. Very annoying.

We did not love the lack of drawers. There was plenty of storage, but it was open shelving in a lot of the room. I don’t love looking at my stuff. I would prefer it to be in a drawer or behind a cabinet. The closet had plenty of space and there were shelves in the closet that we utilized. It was plenty of room for 2 people on a 4 day, but I think a 7 day might be challenging. Our cabin steward was amazing. It was his first contract and he is in training, but probably one of the best we have ever had. He was extremely friendly and our cabin was spotless. His name was Conrad! The couch was very hard, not very comfortable. Maybe because its new, but it was not the most comfortable to sit on. The bed seemed higher and it was great. The bathrooms were interesting. I liked the shower door much better than the curtain, but I miss the round showers on the dream and Fantasy. There was more shelving in the bathroom, but they seemed a tad smaller. I did like the lights being inside the bathrooms and I loved they had a nightlight in the bathroom that you just turn on with a switch.

Dining Rooms - We had the rotation beginning with Arendelle, then 2 nights in 1923 and the last night in Marvel. Arendelle was very nice to look at and we loved the large windows in the back of the dining rooms. We did not like the show at all. It went on way too long and it was very loud. It just seemed chaotic and we couldn’t really understand what was going on. The servers seemed very rushed because they had to time things with the show. 1923 was our favorite. We loved that it was split into 2 rooms. We were on the Walt side. It was nice to have a quiet dinner on the ship.The room seemed more elegant and it was by far the best one in our opinion. We were very happy to be in there twice. We were there for Pirate night which was surprising that the servers did not wear pirate outfits. We did have the pirate menu and all the characters were dressed up, but no pirate bandanas and it seemed pretty low key. We didn’t mind that. Last up was Marvel. I loved the entrance, you almost felt like you were in line to get on a ride at Disney World. Once inside though, its dark. I don’t know anything about Marvel, so the theme was not my favorite, but some people may love it. It wasn’t as loud as Arendelle thank goodness, and I would have liked if it had a different theme, but that’s just me.

You could tell that a great deal of thought and design went into the dining rooms and I appreciate all that. They were beautiful. The food was about the same as the other ships. Many dishes were the same, just called something a bit different. We had fantastic servers. Our whole team was amazing. Our head server was someone we had before and I knew he would be on the ship so we asked for him.

The adult area - we were a party of all adults, so I cannot speak about any of the children areas. We are people who love to sit outside and we were very disappointed on the lack of outdoor areas for adults. It almost seemed like the goal was to keep you inside. The adult area at the back of the ship is so small. There were hardly any places to sit that were shaded. There were hardly any chairs on deck 4 like those blue chairs on the other 4 ships.

Lack of a jogging track was a big problem. Several in our group walk everyday on those tracks and there was a lot of difficulty having to navigate those stairs. They were much higher than we anticipated. Two people in our group are doing the dopey marathon in January and were very disappointed not to be able to run on the ship. We talked with several cast members who also miss that feature. I talked with one of the officers one evening and he told me they realize that was probably a mistake, but it will not be corrected on the next ship since the plans are pretty set already. He said some minor things could be changed because of feedback they are receiving, but no major changes will be made.

Shopping - we were disappointed in the merchandise on the ship. Hardly any Christmas merchandise. None of us purchased much. We really were surprised at all the real estate given to the high end stores. They were huge and very few people were ever in them. We spend a lot of time sitting in the Bayou which was right outside those stores, so we got to see first hand that they didn’t get much business. We would love to understand the idea behind this. I’m sure this space is rented out to these higher end vendors, but I believe that space would be better served by adding more appealing merchandise to the masses.

Palo - we were able to get a Palo reservation and because we were a large party, they sat us in the private room. We still miss the buffet, but the food was amazing as usual. We had a great server from Italy and he made our brunch even more enjoyable. We had a great time and he just joined in with our group shenanigans, so we had a really fun time.

All in all, we decided we did like the Wish, but it took some getting used to. It was hard to find your way around the first couple of days. I think we all agreed though that we like the function of the Dream and Fantasy overall, but love the look of the Wish. I wouldn’t turn down any ship though if the time and itinerary worked better for us. I love them all, just some more than others.

Last edited:
Yes that couch is hard. Like sitting on a board, sat in bed across from the tv instead.

Your review was our thoughts too. Thanks for sharing. I would go on it again too if it was longer.

Thank you for the report. Disappointing to hear they will not be able to fix the walking track on the next ship. That is such an important part of 7+ nights for me. I don't know that I would miss it on a shorter cruise, but I'll see if I use it on my upcoming 4 night.

Thank you for the report. Disappointing to hear they will not be able to fix the walking track on the next ship. That is such an important part of 7+ nights for me. I don't know that I would miss it on a shorter cruise, but I'll see if I use it on my upcoming 4 night.
I would love to know the thought process behind the decision regarding the walking track. We talked with several cast members who really missed being able to work out on the track. When I spoke with the officer, and asked about the track, or lack thereof, he smiled and said, we’ve heard that comment a lot.

I agree the shorter cruise, it wasn’t too bad to miss it, but the next ship I’m sure will sail 7 days. So many people use it, I know it will be missed.

We just got off the Wish today. I agree with your review, especially the adult areas. We did buy a Rainforest length of cruise pass and we loved it there. Well worth the money for us. The Christmas décor was lacking in every sense. Very little décor everywhere. Castaway Cay not decorated at all. If they didn't have the labor or if it was a budget cut they might want to take it off the website as one of the items to look forward to on the Merry Time cruise.

We just got off the Wish today. I agree with your review, especially the adult areas. We did buy a Rainforest length of cruise pass and we loved it there. Well worth the money for us. The Christmas décor was lacking in every sense. Very little décor everywhere. Castaway Cay not decorated at all. If they didn't have the labor or if it was a budget cut they might want to take it off the website as one of the items to look forward to on the Merry Time cruise.
That’s really sad not to have the decorations up for Merry time cruises. Loved the snowman on Castaway Cay.

We know that all the Disney ships have Pros and Cons and the Wish is no different. We recently sailed on the Wish and IMO it has more Cons than the other DCL ships. We will not sail on her again as we only do seven day cruises, but if the Wish does ever do seven day cruises and assuming there's CM availability, we will not rule her out based on the Cons.

Amen to that Christmas Tree. The gold wasn't very festive to me. Green would have been much nicer, Honestly, besides the main area, it didn't really feel like Christmas at all. You would think they would add more holiday decorations around the ship but nope.

Thanks for this review! I currently have a 4 night Wish booked with my DH and our 2 college aged daughters. It would be our first cruise with our kids as adults (we’ve cruised a handful of times with them on DCL - most recent was Alaska in July 2019 and both were <18) and I really thought it would be nice for them to enjoy the adult pool areas and a brunch … but the videos I’ve seen of the adult pool area don’t look very nice and your description sounds like the videos are accurate. And it also sounds like brunch is a tough ticket to get on the Wish. Food for thought.

I was looking for someone who's been on a lot of cruises to ask my question. You win :rolleyes1

We invited our son and GF on a cruise and then our flights were delayed so we didn't make it :headache:

He's within driving distance of the port so he (thankfully) still went. The trip was our gift and my credit card was on his reservation. Charges for the cruise, which ended yesterday AM still haven't shown up on my credit card. Do you remember how long it usually takes for charges to appear? I'm hoping he didn't feel guilty about us not being able to go and had our cc taken off his reservation.

Thank you for this trip report. We are a family of 7 adults cruising in May and our rooms are on deck 6 also. Hoping it is not the same location as yours. 6616 6618 6620 and 6622. May I ask who your head server was? We like to request Ali from Turkey if he is on the Wish. I sure hope we get Conrad for our stateroom host. He sounds terrific

Thank you for this trip report. We are a family of 7 adults cruising in May and our rooms are on deck 6 also. Hoping it is not the same location as yours. 6616 6618 6620 and 6622. May I ask who your head server was? We like to request Ali from Turkey if he is on the Wish. I sure hope we get Conrad for our stateroom host. He sounds terrific
Or room numbers were 6538, 6540, and 6542. Our head server was Ramsay from India. We had him as our server many many years ago and we keep in touch. We knew he was going to be on the Wish, so we requested him. Our servers were Saul and Osiris, and they were fantastic. I’m sure you will have a great time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter