Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

Run As One (4M) Presented By JP Morgan Chase: Race Plans

Before we get into the race stuff, I just wanted to explain the new title.
5 Boroughs – Manhattan (most of my races), Queens (most of my training, possibly a few races), Brooklyn (start of the NYC Half + my usual turkey trot), the Bronx (Bronx 10 Mile), and Staten Island (Staten Island Half)
4 Parks – Magic Kingdom, Epcot, Hollywood Studios, Animal Kingdom … all during the WDW Marathon
3 “Challenges” – 9+1, 5-Borough Series, my first marathon
2 Cups of Coffee – per day. At least.
1 Runner – Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
The 3 needs work. But otherwise … I like it.

Getting My Stuff:
So, as with most NYRR races, packet pickup is all week at the RUNCENTER. I have it on my schedule for Wednesday, but it will probably be a “play it by ear” thing, depending on how work goes.

After I get my race bib, I think I’m going to buy me some shoes. I think I’ve mentioned this before, but in case I haven’t, there’s a New Balance store in the NYRR RUNCENTER. The plan is to go there, try on the 880v8 (I still haven’t decided on a color…), and hopefully walk out with a pair. If I’m feeling particularly brave, I might ask them if I can take the shoes for a mile in Central Park (I’ll have to remember to wear something I can run in). I’m guessing the answer will be no. But most likely, after a long day at work, I won’t feel up to asking.

Outfit:
Okay. I know this is the part you’ve all been waiting for.
For most races, I have some idea what I want to wear in the weeks leading up to the race. This one … not at all.

Last I checked, the forecast is for a high of 61°. That probably means either high 40s or low 50s for much of the race. But since the weather is drunk (I didn’t wear a jacket yesterday and this morning I ran in fleece-lined tights), I’m sure there will be significant changes in the forecast between now and race day.

As of right, now, the planned outfit is my colorblock skirt and my orange shirt.

Colorblock Skirt:
upload_2018-4-15_14-58-29.png

Orange Shirt:
upload_2018-4-15_14-58-37.png

I’m not 100% sold on this outfit, so if anyone has any thoughts or ideas, feel free to make some suggestions!

Getting To The Race:
One train.
One Friggin Train.
Finally.

Unlike most of the previous NYRR races I’ve done, which started on the west side, this one starts at 68th & East Drive. The F train, which is the train that stops near my house, stops at Lexington and 63rd (aka 5 streets and like 3-4 avenues away). The 6 train might stop closer, but this is still pretty close to the race start, so that’s what I’m going to do, just take the F the whole way.

It’s about an hour commute to Lex & 63rd, maybe a little less. I actually do it fairly regularly – one of my ways of getting to work is taking the F to Lex & 63rd and switching for the Q (and the reverse is how I get home almost every day). So I’ll sorta be doing this commute several times before the race.

The race starts at 8:30. I want to get there around 8ish. So I’ll probably leave the house a little before 7, just for a little extra cushion. Right now I’m thinking 6:45 as my goal departure time … that should get me there in the 7:45-8 range.

Training:
Training has been going decently.
This was a hybrid Sarah/Coach DopeyBadger plan. I made the plan, but with input from Coach Billy, and based on the principles I learned from my last plan.
I knew going into this plan that it was going to be hard to stay on track. I actually did a better job than I thought I would – I only had to cut one run short and didn’t skip any runs.

I introduced a new type of run for this plan, the Daniels T Pace run, which consisted of running at Lactate Threshold for a period of time, taking a rest interval, and then repeating. I did three of these runs, and … they didn’t all suck. The second one, which was part of a hybrid long run, was pretty good. The first one was too fast and didn’t feel great, and the third one was too slow.
So … what did the second run have that the first and third didn’t? It’s more something it didn’t have – hills. I did the first and third runs on my normal route, which has hills. Because it had a longer warmup, I was able to do the run a little further from home, on a flatter course. T pace runs are best done on a flatter surface, so while I did enjoy having this type of run as part of my plan, I’m not sure it’s very practical for me. Something to think about for sure.

Race Plan & Goals:
I’ve given this a lot of thought over the past day or so.

The goal for this race is continuous running.

But even with the goal just being to not take walk breaks, I still needed a pace to focus on.
My first thought was the pace I was using for my Daniels T Pace runs (10:20), but … hills. So then I thought slow it down a bit, like 10:30-10:40ish.
But then on my run today, I came up with a better thought…

Who cares?

I don’t have a time goal for this race. I don’t care how I feel at the finish. All I care about is finishing without a walk break. I don’t even care if my pace is consistent or if I start off super fast and finish super slow (or vice versa).

So the new plan is … just run. If I feel like I can go faster, speed up. If I feel like I’m struggling, slow down. But just keep running, at whatever pace feels right.
I know this probably sounds like a terrible strategy, but … for the headspace I’m in right now, I think it makes sense. I don’t want to think about pace. I just want to keep running until I hit that finish line.

Post-Race:
No idea. No plans as of yet. I’ll probably just play it by ear.

Track & Watch Me:
As per usual, you can track me at https://liveresults.nyrr.org/e/NYRR-RUNASONE-2018#/tracker (just fyi, if you go to liveresults.nyrr.org, it will automatically redirect to the upcoming race, so if I ever forget to share the tracking link, you can just use that). I will post my bib number once I’ve picked it up.

Race starts at 8:30am (for those of you who struggle to make time zone adjustments, I’m in the same time zone as WDW, so just think about what time it is at Walt Disney World), and I’ll probably be in corral K, so expect me to cross the start line somewhere between 8:35 and 8:40.

Love the new name! Very creative.

You lost me at "high of 61F".... I can't remember what that feels like, so I can't assist on the outfit choice.

I have a feeling this will be a great race for you!

I like the new title!

Is the high of 61 for the day or is that the temp at race start? 61 for me is a tank top, 51 is a t-shirt and 41 is long sleeves and a headband that covers my ears and gloves/mittens.

Love the new name! Very creative.

Thank you! I try.

You lost me at "high of 61F".... I can't remember what that feels like, so I can't assist on the outfit choice.

Yeah, I'm trying to remember what I wear in that weather. We actually had really nice weather on Friday and Saturday, but I didn't run either day, and when I ran on Sunday, it was back to cold :(

I have a feeling this will be a great race for you!

Thanks - I hope you're right!
I like the new title!

Thank you!

Is the high of 61 for the day or is that the temp at race start? 61 for me is a tank top, 51 is a t-shirt and 41 is long sleeves and a headband that covers my ears and gloves/mittens.

61 for the day. High 40s/low 5ps at the start, I think.
This is a very helpful guide - thanks! I'm always cold, so j wear more than most (I've been known to wear long sleeves in the 70s for shorter runs), but if I add 10-20 in my head, that's pretty helpful.

I should probably go back at look at temperatures for previous races and see what I wore ...

Been lurking here for a bit but wondered if you have considered arm sleeves to run in for your race? You can wear a t shirt and take the arm sleeves off once you warm up. I have worn them for two races (one being the marathon back in January) and they worked great for me.

Been lurking here for a bit but wondered if you have considered arm sleeves to run in for your race? You can wear a t shirt and take the arm sleeves off once you warm up. I have worn them for two races (one being the marathon back in January) and they worked great for me.

So ... that's an interesting idea, but I dont have any ark sleeves, and I dont know that I'd have time to buy some and get used to them by sunday.
But it's definitely something to think about for the future ... arm sleeves might save me from my stubbornness about wearing long sleeves when I should really be wearing short sleeves.

I love the new title!! I like the color block skirt. I am having a hard time picturing it with the orange shirt. Do you have a dark blue shirt? One day I think I am going to get some arm sleeves, probably for WDW Marathon. I am actually already panicking about what I am going to wear that weekend to stay warm and comfortable.

Dumb time zone changes. You will be starting around 5:35am my time. So, again, you will be the first thing I check when I wake up that morning for my run! :)

If no arm sleeves, you could try some old socks. I did that at marathon weekend. Then you don't feel bad for disposing of them if you choose to.

I love the new title!! I like the color block skirt. I am having a hard time picturing it with the orange shirt. Do you have a dark blue shirt? One day I think I am going to get some arm sleeves, probably for WDW Marathon. I am actually already panicking about what I am going to wear that weekend to stay warm and comfortable.

I'll have to check if I have a picture of the color colorblock skirt with the orange shirt ... if not, maybe I'll take one tonight if I get a chance. There's some orange in the skirt, so it does work.
I actually have a navy blue shirt that matches that skirt really well, but it's from a race, and I have this thing about wearing clothing from other races to a race. I know, I'm weird.
I'm starting to think about general ideas for marathon weekend, but I'm not sure how I'm going to handle weather considerations. The weather can be so inconsistent... grr.

Dumb time zone changes. You will be starting around 5:35am my time. So, again, you will be the first thing I check when I wake up that morning for my run! :)

Time zones are stupid.

If no arm sleeves, you could try some old socks. I did that at marathon weekend. Then you don't feel bad for disposing of them if you choose to.

I didnt think of that - good call!
Although if the high is going to be 61, I'll probably stick with the long sleeves. I usually wear long sleeves until it hits the 70s. But thinking ahead for all my summer races ... that's a good thought.

I bought a pack of men's white tube socks and cut the toes out for arm sleeves for the WDW marathon. I was surprised at how warm and comfortable they were! I love running in 40 & 50 degree temps, short sleeves for sure. If only we could get some of those temps here...my kids had a snow day today...:sad2:

I bought a pack of men's white tube socks and cut the toes out for arm sleeves for the WDW marathon. I was surprised at how warm and comfortable they were! I love running in 40 & 50 degree temps, short sleeves for sure. If only we could get some of those temps here...my kids had a snow day today...:sad2:

I used to have a ton of men's tube socks lying around the house. I wonder if we still do...
Ugh, more snow? That sucks.

Before I get to the less important stuff, I forgot to mention this earlier...
I went to Starbucks this AM (Grande Vanilla Nonfat Latte), and while they had the new Been There mugs, they also had the You Are Here mugs. I don't know if they're just selling what they have left or what, but ... just wanted to share that. There might still be a chance to get a missing YAH mug.

Anyway, the point of this post ... shirts.
So, these are (mostly) just pictures of the bottoms of shirts/top of skirt so that you can see how the colors look together. The color quality is actually not great, but it's equally bad for both the shirts and the skirt, so I you can still kinda see how they look together.
Sorry for the super huge pictures ... I didn't have the patience to edit them to a normal size.

Orange: (This is the shirt I currently plan to wear)
orange.jpg
This shirt is long sleeves (all three shirts are), but fairly lightweight, and easy to push up the sleeves if I'm feeling warm.
Also, you can't really see the orange in the skirt, but it's near the pinks. Not the same exact orange as the shirt, but close enough.

Blue: (This is a race shirt, and I hate wearing race shirts to other races)
bluecolor.jpg
The race logo is very prominent on this shirt
bluefull.jpg

Pink:
pink.jpg
The lighter pink in this shirt matches the pink in the skirt really well.
Problem is, while this shirt is fairly lightweight, it's not super-lightweight, and I can't comfortably push up the sleeves if I get warm.
This may be a good option if the weather trends a little cooler.

Before I get to the less important stuff, I forgot to mention this earlier...
I went to Starbucks this AM (Grande Vanilla Nonfat Latte), and while they had the new Been There mugs, they also had the You Are Here mugs. I don't know if they're just selling what they have left or what, but ... just wanted to share that. There might still be a chance to get a missing YAH mug.

Anyway, the point of this post ... shirts.
So, these are (mostly) just pictures of the bottoms of shirts/top of skirt so that you can see how the colors look together. The color quality is actually not great, but it's equally bad for both the shirts and the skirt, so I you can still kinda see how they look together.
Sorry for the super huge pictures ... I didn't have the patience to edit them to a normal size.

Orange: (This is the shirt I currently plan to wear)
View attachment 317154
This shirt is long sleeves (all three shirts are), but fairly lightweight, and easy to push up the sleeves if I'm feeling warm.
Also, you can't really see the orange in the skirt, but it's near the pinks. Not the same exact orange as the shirt, but close enough.

Blue: (This is a race shirt, and I hate wearing race shirts to other races)
View attachment 317152
The race logo is very prominent on this shirt
View attachment 317153

Pink:
View attachment 317155
The lighter pink in this shirt matches the pink in the skirt really well.
Problem is, while this shirt is fairly lightweight, it's not super-lightweight, and I can't comfortably push up the sleeves if I get warm.
This may be a good option if the weather trends a little cooler.
Oh yeah. I like the orange with it. Much easier to tell when you see them together. I feel you about wearing other race shirts to a race. I’m also not a fan.

images

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter